Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Hobby-Lobby F-18 Blue Angel?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Ed from Hobby Lobby called me a little earlier today about my replacement. Very nice guy, though he talks like he's really wound up, which is always hard for me to deal with when talking on the phone.

Long story short, I don't know when I'll be getting a replacement. H/L's returns department only works on weekdays, and they close at 5:00. I work 45 minutes away from them, and we close at 5:00. So I can't get there during a week day. Ed said they wouldn't be happy if he shipped me a replacement since I'm so local (though I had to drive to H/L twice to get my first jet because I called, they said it was in stock, and then I got there and they couldn't find it even though they showed 29 in the warehouse. They felt bad and said they'd ship it for free once they found their stock, but I had to come back up again as my account was flagged "Do not ship" from my very first internet order [they told me they wouldn't hold internet or phone orders for pick-up when I called to make my second order when I first started shopping there, so I never thought to tell them to take it off my address], so the plane never came and I had to drive back up again to pick it up ... about three hours of drive time total to get that first jet).

Anyway, I've digressed ... Ed put me on hold, then came back and told me he'd gotten the okay to ship. Only thing is, they use returns they get in to send back out as replacements. They aren't "new" parts, technically. He said what usually happens is someone orders a plane and when their box comes in the mail, it's beat up on the outside, so they refuse shipment. H/L gets it back in and has to inspect it, and the contents are all fine, but now there's no box to put it in so they can't sell it as new. So they use it for spare and replacment parts. He explained all that to me, and I told him I was fine with that. He said he had one set in stock, but then he looked at it and told me it had a bunch a little dings on the fuse, and asked would that be okay. I said, honestly, no, I don't want a replacement that's beaten up. He said his biggest worry was that if I waited to get a replacement, they wouldn't have any available since they don't actually buy replacement parts - just send out the good parts from returned planes - and this plane was discontinued (I'll come back to that in a minute). He also said the replacement was missing all the hardware (wheels, linkage, bellcranks, control horns, etc), so I'd have to cut those parts back out of my plane. He said I'd need to send back the nose and the fuse from my plane, though I could cut the wings and stabs off and just toss them (no idea why the need the fuse back ... it's the part that's got the majority of the damage).

I said I really wanted to have it ready to fly before SEFF, but since they didn't work Saturdays and I can't get off work before 5:00 on weekdays, I'd just come by whenever I could (I definitely didn't want something to get shipped now without me having a look at it first to make sure there were no dents or dings, after having Ed find that one and get all the okays to send it, only to discover it was dinged up right before we got things all squared away). We have service calls in H/L's area from time to time, but nothing very regularly. That, or maybe I can take lunch at 4:00 one day and drive up there just before they close.

All in all, it was a little frustrating, but it's all that could be expected, I suppose. I really don't want to go through the hassle of having to ship back pieces of the plane that are torn up, and I don't like being penalized for living locally in that they don't just ship out a replacement like they do for everyone else because I'm so close (especially after doing all that driving for my first jet - costs me as much in gas to get there each time as it does to ship it ... Ed had to go get special approval to ship me a replacement, but they don't have any non-dinged ones at the moment, apparently).

So I'm not sure what I'll do. Given others' experiences, I was rather hoping they'd say, "Power system totally failed structurally mid-flight, chewed up the inside of the fuse and caused a crash? We'll send you out a replacement as soon as we can." Oh well.

Back to the "discontinued" thing, Ed said he wasn't the official word on matters and didn't know details, but he confirmed what had been said before - the F-18's were being discontinued. I'd responded by asking which paint jobs and versions (ARF or RTF), and he said it was actually the part number for the ARF Blue Angels version that showed as being discontinued (though they had something like 350 planes coming in for stock, so he didn't know why it showed that or if those coming in were different in some way). I asked if maybe the part number was just changing, and he said that was possible, and it may just be that the number was being discontinued, but the planes were not. Which I thought made sense, since the old part numbers started with "RCC" for RICCS, and RICCS is no longer making the plane.

But who knows. I do know that when you go to H/L's site and view the Blue Angels F-18 page, the ARF shows as "Discontinued" next to it now (http://hobby-lobby.com/hornet.htm).

Whatever the case, I'm still out a plane until they get in some returned parts that aren't dinged up.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Well, that got resolved quick ... just got an email from Ed saying they were shipping me a replacement and then an order confirmation. I thought, "That's weird ... maybe Ed entered that as we were talking and it processed before I told him to just hold off and I'd come by when I had time to check out the available replacements some day."

Then my phone rings two minutes later, and it's Ed saying he found a complete package in new condition for me, and all the paper work was already done and it was in the shipping dept. as we speak. Color me surprised! I had already resigned myself to not having this ready to fly for SEFF and, while bummed, was okay with just coming by when I could. There's simply nothing that can be done about H/L not doing returns on Saturday and me not being able to get up there during the weekdays, after all. Not anybody's fault things don't mesh schedule-wise.

I really appreciated Ed going the extra mile for me, especially since I'd already told him it was okay to hold off on getting my replacement squared away. He told me he really wanted me to be able to fly it at SEFF and wanted to make sure it got taken care of.

So a big thanks to Hobby Lobby, and an even bigger thanks to Ed, for helping me out in this situation. I feel like I said, "Don't make a big deal for my birthday this year" and then walked in to find a big surprise party waiting for me anyway.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Glad it worked out for you Dave. It does make me a little nervous that I have a new one in the box that is probably going to be discontinued before I even get to fly it. Sure hope nothing is wrong with it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Well, the only one that is "discontinued" is the Blue Angels ARF one ... the Red Viper ARF one doesn't have any notes about it being discontinued, nor do any of the RTF ones. The "pink" mishap ones look to finally be sold out now.

I've resigned myself to just believing it when I see it. If it happens, so be it. Until then, they seem to have plenty coming in.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Yellowspider

Grasshopper. You better check that plane. My pink Viper had a bad servo and my Blue came with two left side landing gear. I fixed both myself. But you may want to go the HL route.
Yellowspider
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

The newer Blue Angels one will indeed be available. Better decals, I think? In other words...nothing has been discontinued.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Yellowspider View Post
Grasshopper. You better check that plane. My pink Viper had a bad servo and my Blue came with two left side landing gear. I fixed both myself. But you may want to go the HL route.
Yellowspider
Thanks YS. I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
The newer Blue Angels one will indeed be available. Better decals, I think? In other words...nothing has been discontinued.
Newer, as in, the F/A-18C 70mm version, or just current F/A-18E version with new decal set?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Not the 70mm one.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist

Default Any good EDF out there?

I've been following this F-18 thread here and on the other group, and it seems the concensus is always if you do a bunch of mods and pump in lots more $$$ you MIGHT end up with a decent jet.

I've been on and off the fence, but I've got to say, I'm off on the no-buy side for the foreseeable future. I've been trying to eek more performance from my Grand Dist FoxHawk with little or no success, and I'm just not willing to roll the dice again on the hopes I'll end up with something fun.

Is there any good EDF out there that works good, isn't gnat-sized, or requires sling-shots or other such contraptions, or has to belly-land? Maybe I'm expecting too much from EDF's. The more I've read over the last month, the further I seem to get from any good answer.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
I've been following this F-18 thread here and on the other group, and it seems the concensus is always if you do a bunch of mods and pump in lots more $$$ you MIGHT end up with a decent jet.

I've been on and off the fence, but I've got to say, I'm off on the no-buy side for the foreseeable future. I've been trying to eek more performance from my Grand Dist FoxHawk with little or no success, and I'm just not willing to roll the dice again on the hopes I'll end up with something fun.

Is there any good EDF out there that works good, isn't gnat-sized, or requires sling-shots or other such contraptions, or has to belly-land? Maybe I'm expecting too much from EDF's. The more I've read over the last month, the further I seem to get from any good answer.
As you well know most of the stuff you read on these forums is based on opinion and perception. These are entry level EDF's and you probably shouldn't expect world class performance. I think most of them including the HL F-18 perform as they were intended. Of course this is all my opinion and my perception If you want top performance you have to pay top $$ Unfortunately that is the way things are in this hobby.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:10 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I think you might want to check out the Phase3 F-16 at HobbyPeople.net: http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/107312.asp

All stock, it's both cheaper and faster than the F-18 at H/L (though it doesn't come with a battery like the F-18 does), and it flies wonderfully. It is recommended to do some reinforcement mods on the section that holds the horizontal stabs, but it's as simple as re-gluing two brass tubes (they're only spot-glued from the factory) and adding a couple of pieces of lite plywood (1/32th or 1/16th ... can't remember what people were using off hand). Only about 5 to 10 minutes worth of work.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

You might just be expecting too much. I find the performance of my F-18 excellent, it's not a dog in any way. It's faster than the Fox Hawk, for sure. But I also found the performance of the Fox Hawk quite satisfying.
But it you want a lot of speed, the stock F-18 may not do you. I find the F-18 much more fun to fly.
I would adamantly disagree about having to pump it up to become a decent jet. I would be really careful about what you read on the internet...there is a group over there that insists that every plane that comes out is junk, unless you do their special mods to it. Quite often, the mods simply consist of stuffing as much power into it as possible, to try to make it go as fast as possible, which may not really make a better airplane.
Hey, back in the day, I stuffed an OS25 into a House Of Balsa 1/2a Mustang. It went very, very fast, but it was not a better airplane than the stock one. It was fun to try, though, at least once.
If you really need more speed, try just putting in the Don's Wicked motor, a better ESC, and a better battery.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:54 PM
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Yeah, I try to factor in the personal tastes and opinions, but as I'm sure you know you still are sometimes left scratching your head and wondering WTF?!

In the "For What It's Worth" column, I re-worked the cheater hole on my FoxHawk last night. This morning was dead-calm...perfect flying conditons for a test. I put a 3s 1800 20c battery in her, and, maybe it's my imagination, but she sure did seem more sprightly! ROG was good. It actually flew through loops, not flopped through 'em, and had good speed at WOT, and ok speed at 75%. Rolls were always nice, and this morning was no exception...even the landing rolled right on. (I'd like to claim superior skill here, but I've seen too many of my other landings)

So, I'm coming out of my funk, and ready to press forward!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
I think you might want to check out the Phase3 F-16 at HobbyPeople.net: http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/107312.asp

All stock, it's both cheaper and faster than the F-18 at H/L (though it doesn't come with a battery like the F-18 does), and it flies wonderfully. It is recommended to do some reinforcement mods on the section that holds the horizontal stabs, but it's as simple as re-gluing two brass tubes (they're only spot-glued from the factory) and adding a couple of pieces of lite plywood (1/32th or 1/16th ... can't remember what people were using off hand). Only about 5 to 10 minutes worth of work.
What is that jet made out of?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:04 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Yeah, I try to factor in the personal tastes and opinions, but as I'm sure you know you still are sometimes left scratching your head and wondering WTF?!

In the "For What It's Worth" column, I re-worked the cheater hole on my FoxHawk last night. This morning was dead-calm...perfect flying conditons for a test. I put a 3s 1800 20c battery in her, and, maybe it's my imagination, but she sure did seem more sprightly! ROG was good. It actually flew through loops, not flopped through 'em, and had good speed at WOT, and ok speed at 75%. Rolls were always nice, and this morning was no exception...even the landing rolled right on. (I'd like to claim superior skill here, but I've seen too many of my other landings)

So, I'm coming out of my funk, and ready to press forward!
That's the problem with the internet...tons of people pushing this or that, lots of groupthink, and not that much actual real-world experience! And the tendency is just to put things down, no matter what. RCg is really bad about that, every new plane, a bunch of chumps chime in and tell how THEY could do it better....

About your T-45...I have been wondering how you have been so dissapointed with the performance, and thinking about perception of performance...but the above tells me volumes.
If you are falling out of a loop, you have a problem with your plane. Motor, fan, ESC, battery, something is not right. Mine, dead stock, will loop continuously from level flight. Maybe just a dud motor. The outrunner version SAPAC is selling now is even more powerful. I highly suggest you talk to Grand Distribution about a replacement, or at least replacement of the power system, because it looks like you got a Friday Job. These things happen, in mass-produced stuff.
But mine is certainly not a slug, if yours is, you got a dud.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
What is that jet made out of?
I'm not sure what type of foam it's made out of ... only that it's injection molded. I could take pictures of it and the F-18 for comparison's sake. From a very informal, "if-I'm-remembering-this-the-way-it-actually-is" comparison, the F-16's foam seemed smoother and denser than the F-18. But I don't know that for certain.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm not sure what type of foam it's made out of ... only that it's injection molded. I could take pictures of it and the F-18 for comparison's sake. From a very informal, "if-I'm-remembering-this-the-way-it-actually-is" comparison, the F-16's foam seemed smoother and denser than the F-18. But I don't know that for certain.
Oh well, she looks like a sweet bird! I'm still in the progress of upgrading my F-18. Hopefully I'll have it ready by next weekend.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

DANG!!! Right when I'm ready to rebuild my F-18, Hobby Lobby is out of stock of the landing gear and hardware!! Won't be available until June.

Anyone know where else I can get this? Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Yellowspider

Angler, When my Blue came with two of the same side I just made a new one from music wire. If you mean you need the LG wire itself.
If you mean the nose gear or plastic pieces humm looks like you may have to wait. Although the plastic pices cant be hard to make.
Good luck
Yellowspider
Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

What parts do you need exactly, Mike? I don't plan on using my landing gear, but I don't think I can get the nose wheel out without bending it out of whack (side gear should still be okay). I'd be happy to send you all the side-wheel hardware, though (and the nose wheel, too, if you need it ... just not in pristine condition once it's been bent to get it out).

I just noticed your offer about the decals, too. That would be great, man! Why don't we just cross-ship each other the parts?

How come landing gear didn't come with the replacement they sent you?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

What parts do you need exactly, Mike? I don't plan on using my landing gear, but I don't think I can get the nose wheel out without bending it out of whack (side gear should still be okay). I'd be happy to send you all the side-wheel hardware, though (and the nose wheel, too, if you need it ... just not in pristine condition once it's been bent to get it out).

I just noticed your offer about the decals, too. That would be great, man! Why don't we just cross-ship each other the parts?

How come landing gear didn't come with the replacement they sent you?
I'm good PA. I'll just wait to get the parts from them when they're back in stock. Besides, I have enough projects already...I'm finishing the mini Pulse from E-Flite and the Ultimate Bipe from Airborne models. Just PM with your address and I'll send those decals out to you today friend.

Mike
Old 04-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Yellowspider

I just ordered the decals and one of those Wizard boat plane things. They were on sale for less than 30 bucks. The decals are backordered. GRRRR
Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Just noticed the new F-18 is on Hobby Lobby's website now. Same plane, but different (darker) color blue and decals are pre-applied: http://hobby-lobby.com/hornet.htm
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
That's the problem with the internet...tons of people pushing this or that, lots of groupthink, and not that much actual real-world experience! And the tendency is just to put things down, no matter what. RCg is really bad about that, every new plane, a bunch of chumps chime in and tell how THEY could do it better....

About your T-45...I have been wondering how you have been so dissapointed with the performance, and thinking about perception of performance...but the above tells me volumes.
If you are falling out of a loop, you have a problem with your plane. Motor, fan, ESC, battery, something is not right. Mine, dead stock, will loop continuously from level flight. Maybe just a dud motor. The outrunner version SAPAC is selling now is even more powerful. I highly suggest you talk to Grand Distribution about a replacement, or at least replacement of the power system, because it looks like you got a Friday Job. These things happen, in mass-produced stuff.
But mine is certainly not a slug, if yours is, you got a dud.
Thanks for the good feedback. I'm in the process of putting a better ESC in it (read known/reputable quality!) and a bit stronger motor. The fan balanced OK, and the duct shroud shows no signs of rubbing.

I think you are right: The dreaded Friday afternoon job (or early Monday). I'm optimistic I'll see a new jet!

Quick Reply: Hobby-Lobby F-18 Blue Angel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12627 seconds with 14 queries