Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Tell us what you flew indoors and when.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Default Tell us what you flew indoors and when.

Just returned from our bi-weekly indoor flying. We fly in a Boys & Girls Club gym that is 3 basket ball courts wide. Great place to fly if you can avoid the 26 baskets. Most are retracted, so it works OK.

I flew my LiteFlite Bug, an Okie Bipe from BSD and one of the original Air Hogs Aero Aces. The AHAA appears to no longer be available. I have three, one on each frequency and they all still fly fine after about 3 years.

Two club members flew their CX-2s. I sold my CX-2 and immediately missed it so I ordered another and it shipped today. An Ember from Horizon is also on its way. Looking forward to both.

Just post when you get to fly indoors. Tell us about it. It should generate ideas for new planes and general conversation.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
chinaclipper

Default I flew indoors....

...and only for the second time indoors at the local indoor football field.
I JUST got my new (old?) Ember I, and I was die-ing to try it out. First, I tried the gym, but the walls were a little close. After a quick (and very real) lesson on CG, I decided the indoor football field was more my "style". (read bigger)
Very cool, but the "strip" was a little rough for good take-off/landings.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Wow, I started this thread a year and a half ago and you are the first post. Thanks China, maybe we can get it going now.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:05 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Wow Jim. Hard to believe nobody ever replied to this thread until now. I guess indoor stuff is really starting to take off now.

So here's my story. In April of 2008, and again this past March, we had the Electric Flight Expo inside the Arizona Cardinals stadium (the playing field rolls out of the stadium leaving a concrete floor). I've flown the following in there:

GWS Slow Stick
GWS Zero
28" WS profile F-15 pusher jet
32" WS profile Mig-25 pusher jet
18" WS F-15 pusher jet
28" WS F-22 pusher jet
18" WS F-22 pusher jet

It's nice to have all that space!

This year we also had the "Battle for Honor". We had one of our club members create an ammo dump and aircraft carrier out of cardboard, and the Cardinals pyro guys set them up with explosives.

First we had 4 GWS p-38s go up for CAP. Then we had 3 GWS C-47s take off and do troop drops. Then the P-38s attacked the ammo dump and did straffing runs, and a B-25 took it out with a bombing run. That got the Zeros scrambled and the Corsairs went up after them. At one point we had over 30 planes in the air!

Once that was done we had 4 lone Zeros do kamikaze runs on the carrier. One at a time we tried to hit it. The final Zero manged to plow in directly into the middle of the flight deck and it was blown to smitherenes! In the second slo-mo video, be sure to look for the flying airplane parts after the explosion!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRONITB1_o[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFAdmidNMM[/media]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12985978.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	114178   Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-University_of_Phoenix_Stadium_no_field.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	114179  
Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
bvillepiper

I flew my Vapor in the living room (15X25 ft) till my cat tryed to drage it under the sofa. It no longer flys.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

That was quite an explosion, Pat. And a really great opportunity to fly in a top notch indoor venue.

Bville, you have to watch those cats, they can't fly, but they are great destroyers.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Gohmer
Banned

Flew both Slowsticks, Mini Supercub and Horsefly Hobbies DR-1 at the Minneapolis Metrodome Nov 17. Be back there Dec. 10, 15, 22.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

That must be a great place to fly, Gohmer. How did your trip to Tulsa work out for you?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Tulsa trip was great! Monday and Wednesday the weather was perfect for flying. Flew at the unclub field daylight to dark both days. Be back in April.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

unfortunately, after more than 2 years, nobody in the 5 r/c clubs in or near the n.y. city area have found a venue to fly indoor except for a group of guys who fly on Wednesday mornings out in new jersey. . . i would be glad to take the trip out there but i have work during the week and that is that. a place to fly in the greater n.y. area is Greatly needed.... i hate to have to wait until the wind is below tornado strength, and have i have damaged more than a few planes trying to fly an indoor plane outdoors in the wind...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Iowa

Flew the Vapor yesterday evening for two hours in the Iowa State Fairgrounds 4H building.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I routinely fly my Vapor at a local gym (single basketball court). But if that's not available, I can easily fly in a 12x20" living room.

If I had a bit more room and experience, I would love to get the Gym-Blu or IFO out.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 AM
superd333
Back From a 0.5 year ban!

Armouries flying is the best, huge drill hall, not annoying people always asking to fly your planes and not annoying people getting in the way when your trying to land!!! it feels like a ghost town in a typical armories.

our rc flying club rents out he drill hall every Sunday in the indoor season. only about 200 people show up for each night! JK more like 10 at the most.

I'm going to be flyin' the PZ micro cub this winter! got it on backorder now!!!!!!

peace
Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile

More Metrodome joy today! 6am-4pm. Had to stop for about a half hour while the Viking kickers practiced. Flew all the same airplanes as the last session plus the Eflite P-40.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	metrodome_fliers_20091123.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	115992  

Last edited by Gohmer; 12-19-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added Image
Old 12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Maidened a new 3D plane... the Sumo. I need a lot more practice.

I wrapped up by flying the Vapor for awhile... then when I started to pack up, noticed the plastic motor mount had cracked and misaligned. Oops! One too many impacts with the wall/floor trying to do loops.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Indoor

Flew both Slowsticks, Mini Supercub, Horsefly Hobbies DR-1, Eflite P40 and Electrifly profile P-51 at the Minneapolis Metrodome Dec. 15. Be back there Dec. 22.

I'm back at the Iowa State Fairgrounds this weekend. Probably fly the Vapor this evening.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:08 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Had the Nutball out this week. Both indoors on a single BB court and outdoors. What a hoot!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 AM
aero_k

Went to my first indoor event as a spectator today. I can't wait to try it, I juts have to get something that will fly in a single basketball court. I'm currently looking at an IFO since that's what most of the people had. Plus I can use some equipment that I already have.

I wish I could fly in an NFL dome, that would be awesome! Especially the Vikings...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Not to rub it in or anything () but I get to fly in the Cardinals dome again in March.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:27 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
I'm currently looking at an IFO since that's what most of the people had. Plus I can use some equipment that I already have.
I've flown the IFO indoors. Actaully it's an IFO kit modified to the 2nd gen IFO-T dimensions (slightly narrower and with elevons instead of rudder/elevator). I'm using the same Blue Wonder 1300kv setup from the Nutball. I had a few issues flying it at first as the covering would keep detaching from the hinge line making it very difficult to fly. I ended up removing the covering from the elevons, wrapped it under the fuse along the hinge line and glued, then adding separate elevon covering. This kept everything in place and it flew much better.

The IFO flies well, but like the Nutball the throttle becomes as important as elevator and rudder for control. Admittedly both of these planes fly very high alpha... on the prop. I'm yearning for something that flies more scale like but bigger than my Vapor.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Flew both Slowsticks, Mini Supercub, Horsefly Hobbies DR-1, Eflite P40, Electrifly profile P-51 and P-38 profile at the Metrodome Dec. 22, 6am-4pm. We had a group Slowstick flight, seven in the air at the same time.

Mike Evans video taken at today's event. http://whispershots.smugmug.com/Aeri...559_8xXCM-A-LB

Last edited by Gohmer; 12-24-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Ziv

When is to windy outdoors I fly my Vapor in clubhouse ( I am in Florida ). My wife does not aloud me to fly in a living room.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Flew both Slowsticks, Mini Supercub, Horsefly Hobbies DR-1, Eflite P40, Electrifly profile P-51 and P-38 profile at the Metrodome Dec. 22, 6am-4pm. We had a group Slowstick flight, seven in the air at the same time.

Mike Evans video taken at today's event. http://whispershots.smugmug.com/Aeri...559_8xXCM-A-LB
When I saw Mike's video on that other site, I wondered if you were there also. That is a really great place to fly. How do you guys arrange to fly there?
Old 12-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Dome

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
When I saw Mike's video on that other site, I wondered if you were there also. That is a really great place to fly. How do you guys arrange to fly there?
That was me in black with the black stocking cap. MARCEE club gets the permission, not exactly sure how. Hope we get some January times also.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
That was me in black with the black stocking cap. MARCEE club gets the permission, not exactly sure how. Hope we get some January times also.
Ha, Gohmer...I was wondering the same thing. Looks like alot of room there.

Quick Reply: Tell us what you flew indoors and when.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12849 seconds with 16 queries