Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 21 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
There is really no reason to use an expensive Rx like the AR7000 in the MUS. I use a AR 6000 park flyer and have never had a problem. It will work at distances you probably can't see the plane and for sure can't see the orientation.
One of the things I do not like of the Spektrum radios is the "dual" receiver set-up... too many boxes (and wires) to worry about...

Now though, with the introduction of the 5 channel DX5e Spektrum radio, which is rated as a "Full Range" system, my dislikes are over... the receiver that comes with the DX5e is more compact than the AR 6000 and it seems to work just fine.

For someone who flies "Park Flyers" and Electric Gliders, the new receiver is perfect... if you want a fancier TX, you can always BIND the receiver to a 6 or 7 channel TX with all the goddies available there. I certainly don't need all that stuff - when I first started with this hobby, we had to adjust the linkages and airplane as needed - still do that even with my Hitec "programable" radio.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
One of the things I do not like of the Spektrum radios is the "dual" receiver set-up... too many boxes (and wires) to worry about...

Now though, with the introduction of the 5 channel DX5e Spektrum radio, which is rated as a "Full Range" system, my dislikes are over... the receiver that comes with the DX5e is more compact than the AR 6000 and it seems to work just fine.

For someone who flies "Park Flyers" and Electric Gliders, the new receiver is perfect... if you want a fancier TX, you can always BIND the receiver to a 6 or 7 channel TX with all the goddies available there. I certainly don't need all that stuff - when I first started with this hobby, we had to adjust the linkages and airplane as needed - still do that even with my Hitec "programable" radio.
If sure no one would dissagree that the 6000 is a fine if you dont need 7 channels and fly smaller park flyers for the most part. Heck I fly a 6100 in my 3DHS 47" SHP......$40 and its all I need for that plane.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
BobAZ

How does it fly?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 AM
HeadMaster

MUS down! flight 172 proved to be the final filght for my beloved MUS. After several repairs this crash is fatal Im afraid.

I was doing my favorite roll half loop landing and misjudged how close the trees were.....went thru the top of a pine ripping one wing half into and crashing nose in on the asphalt.

Found a replacement on Ebay though!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default I Quit Counting

I don't know how many flights I have but I'm on the 3rd MUS.

Love the new 480 motor. The PNP 450 just doesn't do it.

I have a spare MUS ready when needed. It was the replacement for the defective one I had.

First MUS had DX7 failure.
Second the wing came off in flight.
Third still flying. It's made of first & second parts with some new stuff thrown in.

I try not to do crazy stuff with my wood planes, that's what foam's for.

Don't know how much more I'm going to fly it since I'm switching to park flying. I'm giving up on the AMA & clubs for now.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
darylm44

I fly mine in a couple of weed fields all the time. Both have a rough gravel road that I use for a strip. Put some larger tires on the MUS and it can handle a fairly rough grass or dirt strip.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Frankenstein Monster MUS

That's what I did too - 3" wheels.

I also tilted the landing gear forward some so it doesn't flip as easy when landing. You just put some aileron balsa or some kind of a wedge under the gear.

I also replaced the metal screws with larger plastic screws after the last hard landing I had that ripped out the gear.

#3 just keeps on flying even after a hard landing. I just rebuild and GO! You should see it. It has the rebuilt wing from #2. Rebuilt tail from #1 or #2. It's a Frankenstein Monster of a plane but it keeps going.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
That's what I did too - 3" wheels.

I also tilted the landing gear forward some so it doesn't flip as easy when landing. You just put some aileron balsa or some kind of a wedge under the gear.

I also replaced the metal screws with larger plastic screws after the last hard landing I had that ripped out the gear.

#3 just keeps on flying even after a hard landing. I just rebuild and GO! You should see it. It has the rebuilt wing from #2. Rebuilt tail from #1 or #2. It's a Frankenstein Monster of a plane but it keeps going.
With all the epoxy in mine ....the fuse was actually repairable.....even after a nose in on the asphalt. Half the wing is still n the top of the tree though.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I just got the MUS today at a swap. ARF for $50, brand new. Looks like I have some reading to do.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 AM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
I just got the MUS today at a swap. ARF for $50, brand new. Looks like I have some reading to do.
Your in for a real treat.....put a 480 in that puppy and let the good times roll. I found a PNP on Ebay for $100 so Im up and flyn again. The MUS is my warm up plane and security banket...love it!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

I just picked one up yesterday pnp for $40.00 has the eflight 450 and 11x7 prop. I'm still new to the sport so I actually want to slow it down some, recommendations anyone? Wish I had a 7 or 8 channel radio so I could go crow mode.
Man, what a blast to fly, I've been building with blucor for 3 months and this balsa bird flies like some of the old control line birds I flew 40 years ago. Dbl quick, I can only imagine what it would do with the 480 all you guys talk about.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
Your in for a real treat.....put a 480 in that puppy and let the good times roll. I found a PNP on Ebay for $100 so Im up and flyn again. The MUS is my warm up plane and security banket...love it!
Actually, at the swap I found a Park 450 890kV motor and E-Flite 25Amp Pro BL ESC combo for $20, so that will go in there for now. Servos and a RX and I am set.

Not bad, that setup for $70. Another $100 for the radio gear and I'll be ready for spring!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Build Review MUS ARF - The Best

I started with the PNP version back when the DX7 first came out and had radio problems.

I replaced things with the ARF kit and the wing came off.

I'm on #3 now with a repaired DX7 but I use 72MHz anyway. I only fly foamies & small helis with the DX7. I'm getting so I trust the DX7 but... anyway I have a 72MHz and use it too; the DX7 memory is starting to get full.

-

My current setup uses a 480 motor (the 450 is in a drawer waiting for another plane) with an 11x7 propeller. My radio is the Futaba 7CHP (heli version, I like the smooth throttle) 72MHz that I got when my DX7 .

I also don't like the E-flite servos but I still use them since they came with the PNP. The servos I have have some of the wrong screws in the case and two of them can pop loose unexpectedly.

If you want to slow things down you could use a different prop like a 10x5, I tried it and with the 480 it can hang from the prop but because the Stick has small control surfaces it does not do 3D well.

Best thing to do to slow down in just keep off the throttle. Then there's plenty of throttle there if you need it. The 480 with the 11x7 prop will go straight up like a rocket!

-

Next thing especially with the ARF kits is to reglue everything!!! Go over the engine mount area, wing mounts, & landing gear.

Then I went one more and replaced the landing gear screws with larger plastic screws. That way you don't rip out the bottom of the plane with a hard landing; been there, done that.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
HeadMaster

Yeah...to slow down just stay off the throttle ....you dont want to underpower the plane. The 450 is the min motor IMO. The 480 is best...you dont have to use all the power but it sure is nice to have. I can fly the 480 at half throttle and get 12 mins of flight time with an 1800 Zippy 3s. I sold the PNP motor and ESC for $50....that will get you a 480 and you can find a CC Tbird ESC for $30 or so.

Anyway...keep us posted...
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Well, thanks for the responses men. Actually this plane had been assembled but had not been flown in about a year. It came with the eflight 450 as I said earlier, a thunder power 2070mah 3s and as some of you have said it rockets straight up at about 3/4 throttle, and will loop all day it seems like. I flew about 12 mins. on a single charge after battery had set on a shelf for 1 year. So, I think I got a pretty good deal, I have only been flying for about 3 - 4 months so it's way faster than I want it to be right now. As I said I wish I had a 7 channel radio so I could set it up with crow mode. I've been flying all day on fsone and have learned that it would be really cool to have that option to slow down quickly and stay airborne. Anyway, maybe I can get used to flying this fast bird before I destroy it.
:o
Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

OK folks, I have got my MUS ready for the maiden. She is outfitted with a Park 450 motor, 10x7 slo-fly prop, and a BEC so I can use quad-flaps. Some folks say I shoulda left the ailerons, but yanno what? I wanted flaps. Anyway, got her balanced, the throws are set, and she is ready. Now I am excited and nervous all at the same time. More to follow when I get a little time to send her up.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

The plane is a lot of fun Kev. I haven't programmed mine into the 9303 yet, so haven't flown it in a while. Did you set up crow?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
OK folks, I have got my MUS ready for the maiden. She is outfitted with a Park 450 motor, 10x7 slo-fly prop, and a BEC so I can use quad-flaps. Some folks say I shoulda left the ailerons, but yanno what? I wanted flaps. Anyway, got her balanced, the throws are set, and she is ready. Now I am excited and nervous all at the same time. More to follow when I get a little time to send her up.
Youll enjoy the quad flaps ....if you mixed it right on a 7 ch setup you will still have full length ailerons.

Enjoy and keep us posted on the maiden.

Here is alittle clip from the beach vacation I just got back from.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/5338539[/media]
Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
Youll enjoy the quad flaps ....if you mixed it right on a 7 ch setup you will still have full length ailerons.

Enjoy and keep us posted on the maiden.

Here is alittle clip from the beach vacation I just got back from.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/5338539[/media]
HM,

I mixed it just like the Horizon instructions you gave me, and the way Liquidity said, and neither way gave me full-length ailerons. Also, my 3-way switch settings are backwards of normal, and I can't figure out why (i.e.: up is the landing setting, flaps down, middle is normal, down is crow). I have it set with flaps, crow, and normal, albeit with the flaps on the outboard only. I was hoping to maiden today, but we have pop-up T-storms and funnels not far, headed in this general direction, so I will wait for a better day.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
The plane is a lot of fun Kev. I haven't programmed mine into the 9303 yet, so haven't flown it in a while. Did you set up crow?
Jeff, didn't see your post til I answered HeadMaster, but yep I did. Should prove exciting when I dare flip the switch.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Finally got the maiden on this bird on Saturday. Flew two packs thru her, got her all trimmed out and lovin' it. Flew it again at our club fun fly on Sunday, and then again yesterday after work, went to the field and flew 5 times, just taking off, circling around and landing, trying to get the feel for her. Tried the flaps and crow, I need to work on the elevator mix, she REALLY pitches up a lot. But isn't that the fun, to get it all dialed in? Had a lot of fun yesterday flying a couple circuits shallow dives to the field, level out at 10 feet, nice level flight, then full throttle and pull out. Very sweet.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Kev, did you set crow up fixed (deploys fully on a switch) or make it proportional to throttle? There was a sexy trick in the Futaba setup where you could switch it to "active", then it would mix in with decreasing throttle. I never got mine to work right as Futaba assumed a 9 channel RX - I have an AR7000 in my MUS.

I'll revisit it again when I program the MUS into the JR 9303, see if I can get it to work.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Kev, did you set crow up fixed (deploys fully on a switch) or make it proportional to throttle? There was a sexy trick in the Futaba setup where you could switch it to "active", then it would mix in with decreasing throttle. I never got mine to work right as Futaba assumed a 9 channel RX - I have an AR7000 in my MUS.

I'll revisit it again when I program the MUS into the JR 9303, see if I can get it to work.
Hey Jeff,

It's fixed, on the 3-position switch, when the switch is down. Up is flaps, middle is normal flight.

You can program the DX7 for flaps automatically when your throttle hits a pre-determined point, not sure if it will do crow.

Do you have the full-length aileron mix? I can not get mine to work.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I managed to get full span ailerons, flaps and crow to work with the 9C, but crow was on/off - not proportional to throttle. Haven't moved much of my electric stuff over to the 9303 yet except the Hyperflea and a little parkflyer for my nephew.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Well, I am really flummoxed about why it won't give me full span ailerons. I was sure everything is in the right RX port, and I entered the mixes exactly as listed on the Horizon site. Truth be told, though, she rolls pretty sprightly with just the ourboard ailerons.

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13431 seconds with 11 queries