Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight) - Page 22 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I was going to mention that - of all of the "goodies" I use the full span ailerons the least. I like the crow and the elevator to flap mixing. Don't use flaps much - plane is way too light to really need them.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yeah, I have been thinking that it's not a huge necessity. But it sure irritates me I do it exactly as written and it doesn't perform correctly. Makes me feel stupid.

So what do you use CROW for? I was told by one pilot the ONLY time to use CROW is in a dive, when you don't want to increase airspeed. Other people have said they land with CROW deployed. I'm not at the point I am going to be diving to the ground yet. LOL
Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I've deployed crow in a dive, a few times in level flight just to mess with peoples heads that were watching me fly. It's fun to watch them track the plane across the field with their eyes - then "What happened?" With it proportional to the throttle it would work better for me. Useful when "dropping in" for landings where the approach to the runway is tight. One of the fields I fly fuel planes in has this issue - you need to approach at a 45 degree angle to the runway, then turn final, drop and straighten out all in a short distance - crow helps here.

Lots of sailplanes seem to use it. QQ runs it in his big Python
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Well, I am really flummoxed about why it won't give me full span ailerons. I was sure everything is in the right RX port, and I entered the mixes exactly as listed on the Horizon site. Truth be told, though, she rolls pretty sprightly with just the ourboard ailerons.
Ill take some pics of my mixes .....I know the rate switch for my rudder turns on the full ailerons and flap to elevator mixing as well as high rate rudder. You need that full aileron control to get the most out of the plane IMO. The plane is much more responsive at low speed with the full ailerons...especially if in crow.

Also mix in about 8% down for full crow
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks HeadMaster, I'll look those over when you post them. They are the ones from Horizon, correct?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
HeadMaster

Yes...but it seems I may have had to tweek them a bit. Main thing is to get all the channels connected right and the polarity correct before you start the mixes. I had a fit getting my most recent MUS set up because I used a couple of HC HXT servos on the flaps and hitecs on the ailerons. Everthing was whacky....after an hour or so of swapping stuff around I figured out that the HXTs had opposite polarity of the hitecs....reversed the throw on those and all was good.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

HeadMaster, are you by chance using the JR PC data transfer software? - if yes would you mind sharing the data file for your MUS?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
HeadMaster

No Jeff, I have a DX7....I have to wade through the screens= PITA.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Don't feel too bad - if you have a 9303 and the software you're basically on your own anyway. I've seen poorer written instructions as far as functionality - but can't remember when
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Two more flights today at the field. Adjusted my flaps-to-elevator mix, and she stays level when I deploy the flaps. Still some climb with CROW. Now, do I want any vertical change upon deployment, or should it essentially stay level?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

You don't want it to "balloon" (pop up) with deployment of crow. The plane should slow down - IIRC mine sinks - but then I only deploy crow when I'm at 1/3 throttle or so. You'll probably find (as with the flaps) that whether sink rate is very proportional to speed.

I know on my Hellcat and P-47D, I only use flaps when I'm at about 1/4 throttle or less (don't need them on take off) - and I don't have any elevator mixed in.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Two more flights today at the field. Adjusted my flaps-to-elevator mix, and she stays level when I deploy the flaps. Still some climb with CROW. Now, do I want any vertical change upon deployment, or should it essentially stay level?
I set it up to stay level at about 1/2 throttle.

BTW, my cam want take good pics of my TX screen so I cant post the pics of the mixes. Ill try to pm you the setup when I get time.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

OK thanks HM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 AM
bassfisher

OK - tell me what you think. After reading all of the posts for the MUS, I've decided to give this set-up a try

Heads Up RC Power Up 480 motor
Heads Up RC Power Up 60A ESC
Heads Up 3c 2200 mah 20C battery
Corona RS610 receiver

I was going with the 450 motor, but everyone is critical of the 450 and say it makes the plane underpowered.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
bassfisher

The one motivator for the 60A ESC is that it is $3 more than the 40A ESC. And it only weighs .6 more than the 32 A ESC that I was going to order with a 450 motor. Plus, if I get really hooked on this electric stuff, I'll have one ready for a larger motor in the future. From what I've read, better to have a "bigger" ESC than too small of one.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
HeadMaster

Need to move this thread up....here is a couple of my vids.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAhWW1t1lk0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clLMDWCYb4o[/media]
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 AM
tppjr

Default quad flap setup

Looks like this thread is practically dead but will try and give it a shot anyway. This is my first "real" plane. The others being foamies and a couple of wings. I want to setup quad flaps and have all the mechanical done, just need some help understanding all the radio lingo. I am using a 9303 Heli TX so if someone could give me a hand I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Thomas

Last edited by tppjr; 01-06-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
darylm44

Try this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...rogramming.pdf

This guide worked for my DX7 and should be close for your 9309.

The mini ultra stick was my first real plane to. One suggestion is to use nylon bolts in the landing gear. It saves the bottom of the plane when you find a little extra gravity when landing.

Last edited by darylm44; 08-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM
tppjr

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Try this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...rogramming.pdf

This guide worked for my DX7 and should be close for your 9309.

The mini ultra stick was my first real plane to. One suggestion is to use nylon bolts in the landing gear. It saves the bottom of the plane when you find a little extra gravity when landing.
Yes, I found that and have it mostly setup in the TX. Just want to know some other stuff. Do I setup for maximum throws in 100% DR then put in the parameters in the PDF or just use the values that are listed? What are the max throws I should be looking for etc, stuff like that. I know that in Helis if you setup for max throws in one travel you will not be able to use some of the mixes that it needs for other travels. I am using HXT 900 servos and it looks like I need to go to the last hole in the single sided arms to get to full mechanical travel in both direction with a bit of sub trim thrown in.

Thanks for the help,

Thomas
Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 AM
darylm44

On my Ultra stick 60 I set the plane up according to the planes manual and then programed the quad flaps exactly like the programing guide called for. It flew perfectly the first time and I never had to adjust anything. When I landed that plane I would make my final turn and hit the crow with the engine idling and it would almost land itself. Don't try to use the crow as an air brake at speed. The plane will balloon really bad.

I have to rebuild my 60 ultra stick this winter as I got overconfident and flew a couple of rolls to low, got disoriented and pull up while inverted. It will live again with a new color scheme.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 AM
tppjr

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
On my Ultra stick 60 I set the plane up according to the planes manual and then programed the quad flaps exactly like the programing guide called for. It flew perfectly the first time and I never had to adjust anything. When I landed that plane I would make my final turn and hit the crow with the engine idling and it would almost land itself. Don't try to use the crow as an air brake at speed. The plane will balloon really bad.

I have to rebuild my 60 ultra stick this winter as I got overconfident and flew a couple of rolls to low, got disoriented and pull up while inverted. It will live again with a new color scheme.
Yes, that is pretty much what I am doing now. My biggest problem is that I have a Heli 9303 TX and there are a few switch differences that I am unsure of. Still working on it.

Thomas
Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Thomas, which RX are you using?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 AM
tppjr

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Thomas, which RX are you using?

7 channel
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I can scan my setup for mine (JR9303/AR7000) and email it to you if you like.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 AM
tppjr

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
I can scan my setup for mine (JR9303/AR7000) and email it to you if you like.
Thanks, PM sent.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Mini Ultra stick (E-Fight)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14056 seconds with 13 queries