OT for Hobbyzone Super Cub guts - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

OT for Hobbyzone Super Cub guts

Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Cougdave

Default OT for Hobbyzone Super Cub guts

Hello everybody,

I just came back to R/C flying after several year off. My first official act was to crash a Hobby Zone Super Cub. I broke the firewall, fuse, and bent the prop shaft, so I bought a replacement complete fuselage. Now,after lots of cleaning, and slight straightening, I have the gearbox and motor working okay again. This, with the electronics from the original fuselage gives me a complete flight pack to put into a second plane. I have decided to build an old timer.

I am putting an order into Bob Holman plans for some larger stuff, so I have decided to tack on a smaller OT for the Cub guts too. I was thinking of any of the 1/2 A Texaco plans, but the Cub has a geared 480, and a 5 0z battery pack. I may need to go one slight step larger. Maybe a plane that suggests a .09 for power. The cub is 48" span, and in the ballpark of 330 square inches area, with a 26 oz weight, for a wing loading of just over 11 oz/sq". I am thinking that a well built OT model would come out a touch lighter, with more wing area, and this would make a bit more of a floater. I would like a nice lazy floater for calm evenings. I also prefer the older cabin style planes if I have a choice. I am thinking of something closer to 400 sq". Would that be about the right size for my power setup? Has anybody flown any of his smaller OTs?

The Buccaneer "B" Special comes in at 379.5 sq", and the Bunch Scorpion Major looks to be similar in size, but only lists span. The Brooklyn Dodger is 446" with a 53"span. That's probably a bit too big, but I really like the plane. Also the American Ace is pretty close to the size I want. (Not a cabin plane, but pretty cool looking)

Thanks in advance for your advice. I am not so experienced with sizing electric motors and planes. As I am planning to sell off my slimers, and rebuild an electric fleet, I will gain experience.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 04-17-2008, 02:40 PM
billmod12

Default Super cub guts

Dave I am finishing up a Li'l Esquire with cub guts. It has come in at 24-28 oz. It has cub guts motor and wheels. It is 40" span at 320sq". I flew it in 1963 and what a real floater. I am also building a Live Wire Trainer from 1952 for cub guts it is 48" 432sq" and it should come in at 26-30 oz another nice floater. The reason the Lil Esquire is a little heavy is because it was a glow conversion and a recover. The Trainer is a fresh build. To windy to fly here this time of year so I am on a building kick. Keep us posted. Bill
Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Cougdave

Thank You for the info Bill,
I had to look up thre Li'l Esquire to remember what it looked like. Neat little plane. I am really starting to think that the cub guts can handle the Brooklyn Dodger if I build it lightly, and use an eight cell pack. I also found a set of plans for a Fleet Canuck, and it look to be about the right size. It has floats too. The problem i that it is a scaled up rubber plan, so I would have to convert it for R/C. It sure is a neat little plane though...

Probably going to tack the Dodger on to my plans order and go from there.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 AM
cashrc

Might look at an Easybuilt Hornet or Commando, I have a Hornet that's waiting on getting built after I finish my Quaker 54. Don't know what power system she's getting, as I fly glow and electric. BTW, the Hornet is a printwood kit, nothin pre-cut.

You might also check out the Quaker 54 from Penn Vally Hobby Center, it's a machine cut kit, nice wood, worth a look.

Cash
Old 06-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Cougdave

THanks CashRC!

I took a look at the quaker, and I like it. Have you finished building yours yet? I figured that it might be worth the wait to see how yours flew. I might have to break down and build a couple of old timers! (You can never have too many old timers)

(My O.T. project is slightly on hold. I did bend the gearbox up, and I am going to have to get the parts to fix it. I plan to order a bunch of stuff from HobbyZone after summer, and fix up all of my flying stock over the winter. That will also give me the chance to build a couple of new (Old) planes while waiting for the snow to clear out.)

The hornet is cool too. I am not scared by Printwood. I do a lot of building from plans, or scratching my own stuff, but most of it is free flight.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
cashrc

The Quaker came out to a bit less than 2 pounds, around 30.5 ounces..now, that's with glow power, but I'm thinking you should be in the ballpark of the same weight with the setup your'e using. I test flew it on a slightly gusty day (10 gusting 15 or 20), seems like all my old timers get tested on a breezy day, my combat planes get still air... Anyway, she flies nicely, seels to be very well behaved, but I really couldn't pull off the "putt around the field" test due to conditions, but she should do fine.
I agree with the "can't have too many old-timers" statement, I'm building an SOY Atomiser right now for LMR speed 400, gonna have a couple of each, glow and electric..my next project is either gonna be a So Long or Ranger for .15 power, or a Berkeley Mini Hogan with a Park 370 and gearbox on 2 lipoly cells...
Later!!
Cash