25th Annual Puget Sound Electric Model Fly-In This is longest running Electric Fly-In in the Pacific Northwest. 25 years and counting. Beautiful field, tons of electric planes, two days of great flying.

25th Annual Puget Sound Electric Model Fly-In

Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Default 25th Annual Puget Sound Electric Model Fly-In

This is longest running Electric Fly-In in the Pacific Northwest. 25 years and counting. Beautiful field, tons of electric planes, two days of great flying.

For information contact [email protected]

For more information go to http://www.seattlerams.com and click on the Events Page, then the Contest Calendar Link.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 AM
two-hill

Why not put the date in your post?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 AM
RLewandowski

Smile June 23rd and 24th

It looks like the RAMS website (http://www.seattlerams.com/) may be temporarily down at the moment. I happen to know that this event is scheduled for this weekend (June 23rd and 24th). You can see it on the WattFlyer calendar as well. Iíll be there on Saturday to check it out. Iíll have pictures to share after the event!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Rudderman98
Jet Painter

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post
This is longest running Electric Fly-In in the Pacific Northwest. 25 years and counting. Beautiful field, tons of electric planes, two days of great flying.

For information contact [email protected]

For more information go to http://www.seattlerams.com and click on the Events Page, then the Contest Calendar Link.

In the nation Mike if I am not mistaken. The title was last held by the KRC flyers at 20 years.

Perry
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Originally Posted by Rudderman98 View Post
In the nation Mike if I am not mistaken. The title was last held by the KRC flyers at 20 years.

Perry
I just copied what was already posted
Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
RLewandowski

Default Anyone at the 1st Annual event?

I asked Mike to create this space under the “Special Event Coverage” heading and I provided him with a link to an item already on the WattFlyer calendar that was posted by DickCorby. Thanks Mike and DickCorby! And as Perry (Rudderman98) points out I believe that this one of the oldest if not THE oldest electric fly-in in the country. It would be very interesting (to me) to have some actual historical facts about this; I searched Google and came up with nothing.

Was anyone at any of the early Puget Sound Electric Fly-ins? Anyone at the 1st Annual event? It would be cool to hear from someone who was actually there in the beginning; pictures would be incredible to see.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
RLewandowski

Default RAMs website is back up!

The RAMs website is back up. And here is the info for the fly-in.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
RLewandowski

Thumbs up Interesting History!

I just found this (kind of interesting):
BERNARD CAWLEY: A Contest Director since 1983, he founded the first electric Fly-In in Pacific Northwest and managed it for 20 years (22nd annual event was just held). Bernard was the first person flying an electric model to take home a trophy from the NATS in R/C scale (2nd in Sportsman Sport Scale at the 1989 Tri-Cities Washington (State) NATS). The aircraft was a scratch-built 1/6 scale 1946 Taylorcraft BC-12D, powered with a geared Astro 40 cobalt and 18 sub-C cells (1200s). Bernard notes: “I like to think this was inspiration for some others who have gone on to take electric models to the Scale Masters, Top Gun and the World scale champs, especially local pilots Bob Benjamin and Randy Smithhisler.”
Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 PM
RLewandowski

Default In case anyone is interested:

Here is what is being said about the fly-in on eZone.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 PM
QuietRCFly

Quiet RC Flying plans on attending tomorrow, Saturday June 23rd, and we will bring along some merchandise from our web store. Hope to see you there. This will be my 4th show and the second as a vendor. We will provide some of the raffle items as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Rudderman98
Jet Painter

Originally Posted by Mike Parsons View Post
I just copied what was already posted
Much appreciated Mike.

Perry
Old 06-23-2007, 03:24 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

Roger that
Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 AM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

I don't get over here often - I spend too much time already on that other forum, and of course write the occasional column and more occasional review for them. I don't know whether to be proud or embarassed by the quote from Fly RC Randy posted up there in post 8.

I believe this is the longest running such event that is still running - perhaps even in the world. It is certainly so in the US.

That said, it has been pretty much the same size for quite a few years and somewhat smaller than many of the other choices within a reasonable drive of Seattle (down to Washougal and up to Chilliwack BC twice a year each, for example).

For it to continue and grow we're going to need some fresh blood and perhaps a different site. The RAMS field is beautiful and the grass is lush but I don't know what their long term prospects are for the site and the parking at their field cannot accommodate any real growth either. The Boeing Hawks' field in Kent that is now part of an industrial development was much better from that standpoint and hosted it for many years.

Randy Smithhisler has run it for the past four years and will again tomorrow. I had two years off in the first 20, thanks to Mike Kometz. But Randy wants to let it go and I don't really want to take it back - hence my post over in the RCGroups Events forum about 25th annual and possibly last.

The first event was in September rather than June and had seven attendees. One came from Minnesota (Bill Kubiak - who I think is still active in MARCEE) and one from Alaska!! And - it was rained out. We wound up going over to the nearby Boeing tennis club building and getting a conference room in which we hangar-flew for a goodly portion of the day.

The second year we moved to June and had better luck. I don't remember when we went to two days from Saturday only. If I go through my files I could figure it out - I still have all the entry forms and such for the first 20 years.

This was back when the Astro Flight brushed cobalt motors were state of the art (actually they did not appear until two or three years in - and at $75 for the 05 they were too rich for most of us). And - MOSFET-based electronic speed controls were just appearing - starting with the Jomar SC-1.

Mitch Poling, who was then the Electric columnist for Model Builder magazine was another of that initial seven and was a regular until he left the area to go to Europe. He MAY turn up tomorrow as he's back in the area - he and his wife are up in Port Townsend now.

I will be down in the morning with a few planes - nothing new. Between work and some mysterious health issues (which had me down again half of today) I haven't gotten anything new done. I will have the Medusa Oracle data logger in my LT-25 though in order to see how it works in an airplane and to get a sense of how it compares to the EagleTree MicroPower.

Related to the blurb about me.... that Taylorcraft model has been a hangar queen since 1990 but is still hanging from the ceiling in the workroom here (well the fuselage is - the wings are on a shelf). I keep thinking about returning it to flying status. The Cobalt 40 that's in it was plenty - but it would be rather lighter with lithium battery (though it might not balance......).
Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Rudderman98
Jet Painter

See you tomorrow Bernard.
I got a couple of newbies to show you. Nothing "Mars" size though.

Perry
Old 06-23-2007, 09:24 AM
RLewandowski

Smile Wow!

Wow!! Thank you Bernard for the post and for sharing a little bit of the history of the fly-in with us! Iím not sure if I should say this, but I am personally almost star-struck given the information that I presented in post #8. I donít want to embarrass you in any way Bernard and I apologize if you found post #8 awkward, but you are a key reason that we even have an electric fly-in and I personally thank you for that! I hope to meet you (Bernard) at the fly-in!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 AM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

Look for the guy with the greying beard and the Evo 9 who is hogging channel 41.....

I'm also not an earlybird - so don't expect me right at the start. I also have to go to McLendon's in Sumner to get parts for our kitchen faucet.......and I'll likely do that in the morning since I'll be nearly there going to the RAMS field.

Putting a couple of things in the truck and going to bed now.

Oh - and it's really Bob Kopksi's fault. He started the famous KRC event and was very helpful with suggestions as to how I might start something on this end of the country when I wrote to him to ask away back in 1983. I just took most of his advice.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 AM
RLewandowski

It was nice to meet you at the fly-in, Bernard!