Wings Across America 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 2013 Saga of the Wings Across America Plane as it travels throughout the United States.

Wings Across America 2008 (WAA-08) ----History In The Making!------

Old 06-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by weathervane View Post
I'm not part of WAA but it was cool to see in this months MA.

-Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate you stopping in and letting us know.

How did the photos come out?

Frank
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Frank - been to the website - still a bit confused about who has the plane - who gets it next. The process is a bit unclear to me. I saw some pics of the Alamo and assume it is in TX but I have no idea when to expect it.

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Mike,

Pilot #124 currently has the SQuiRT. He is in Kerrville, TX and the last pilot to fly there before she turns up north.

If you click on Here you can see the current Pilots Map (just below the RH photo of the SQuiRT) on our website, you will see the map of the US. Look for the non blue pilot balloons. All pilot balloons that are not blue have numbers. Those are the order in which the plane will be flown. You are pilot #150, but that might change by 1 or 2 if we add more pilots prior to getting to you.

About two weeks before the plane reaches your group, 140-150, you will get an email from me with all their contact info. That is "your group" and all of you need to stay in contact with each other as the plane is passed up the chain.

Does that help?

Frank
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Be sure to check out page 12 & page 148 of Model Aviation. Big

Frank
Excellent! Great work Frank!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Excellent! Great work Frank!
Franks the best!! bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	103957  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

Default great

It looked good to me. The whole dist 4 section in the back was nothing but WAA. The artical and pictures were well done. I thought it was pretty cool to see in MA.
-Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate you stopping in and letting us know.

How did the photos come out?

Frank
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Mike,

Pilot #124 currently has the SQuiRT. He is in Kerrville, TX and the last pilot to fly there before she turns up north.

If you click on Here you can see the current Pilots Map (just below the RH photo of the SQuiRT) on our website, you will see the map of the US. Look for the non blue pilot balloons. All pilot balloons that are not blue have numbers. Those are the order in which the plane will be flown. You are pilot #150, but that might change by 1 or 2 if we add more pilots prior to getting to you.

About two weeks before the plane reaches your group, 140-150, you will get an email from me with all their contact info. That is "your group" and all of you need to stay in contact with each other as the plane is passed up the chain.

Does that help?

Frank
Frank, I think you are referring to the wrong Mike. Pilot 150 is in Oklahoma and his name is Mike L. Rcers is in Trophy Club, Tx and I still don't see his marker on the map. His name is also Mike.

I am pilot 160 and I don't see the 10 pilots between Mike L. (pilot 150) and myself.

Now I see a Mike L in Texas also and he is pilot 161 but he is on map 2. I think that would be rcers.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Frank, I think you are referring to the wrong Mike. Pilot 150 is in Oklahoma and his name is Mike L. Rcers is in Trophy Club, Tx and I still don't see his marker on the map. His name is also Mike.

I am pilot 160 and I don't see the 10 pilots between Mike L. (pilot 150) and myself.

Now I see a Mike L in Texas also and he is pilot 161 but he is on map 2. I think that would be rcers.
\

Thanks - Yep I am 161 - in Trophy Club TX. I do see my self on the map - but a bunch of guys missing.

I will just wait for the email!

Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Sorry Mike, my fault. You're #161. Same scenario still applies though.

Frank
Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Thanks Richard and Steve!

Andrew, thanks for the feedback on the article and photos. I have not had a chance to see them yet. Glad to hear the photos came out well.

Frank
Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Sorry I don't have time for more, but the WAA-08 plane is now in Austin, TX. It should be with Mike (crash-man) in Waco on Thursday.

Frank
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
crash-man
Self-Proclaimed RC ADDICT

Cool! If I get the plane by then, it will be my plan to fly it at my club field with my fellow club members on Sunday. Sundays are the days that we all get a chance to meet up anyway, so it's all gonna work out great!

EDIT: Just sent correspondence to Pilot #128 to schedule the handoff when I'm done with it on Sunday...

Last edited by crash-man; 06-24-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Sounds great Mike. Fred should be contacting you as well since he has the plane in Killeen/Nolanville now.

One caveat though, if the weather looks bad for Sunday, perhaps you can fly her sooner instead of later so we can keep her moving along?

Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I want to thank Walter on the amazing job he is doing with our WAA-08 website. I just sent him the SQuiRTs latest location and he already has our site updated.

He's doing a wonderful job! If you haven't stopped in lately, please check it out, and if you also think he is doing a great job, please use the contact link on the site and let him know. I'm sure he will appreciate that.

Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 AM
crash-man

Frank, I've got a date set for getting the plane on Thursday afternoon, so no problems there.

Weather here should be no problem - it's HOT as Hades here and our prayers for rain have not been answered for a loooong time. The reason I'm wanting to put her in the air on Sunday is so that I can share the experience with my club; otherwise it would only be me. lol I have two newspapers lined up to report on the project and I plan to meet with the next pilot at his earliest convenience - even if it means me delivering it to him at his home Sunday night.

With the heat being what it is in this part of the country, we generally just fly one day a week this time of year and we've been doing Sundays so that it meets wih everyone's schedule.

If you want it to progress the fastest, I can certainly cancel the club thing and just fly it at the schoolyard down the street Thursday night and have it in the hands of the next pilot some time Friday.

Just let me know...
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

No worries Mike. Your Sunday game plan sounds great!

There is a WAA-08 banner in the box made especially for what you have planned on Sunday. I think you'll like it.

Good luck and have fun!

Don't forget photos.

Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
crash-man

I've already dug out the camera... Also, I'm gonna try to get some video so I can post it on YouTube. And, of course, I'll be talking all about it on the following week's podcast!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 PM
JAM MaxAmps

4 new packs went into production for the plane today. They should be with the plane in a few days.

Thanks for letting us be a part of this,

Jason
Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
crash-man

I now am in possession of the plane! Pilot #126, Fred H, drove up about 50 miles and met me at The Waco Hobby Stop to hand it off. Max, the shop's owner, snapped a pic of the hand-off and I will upload it after we fly Sunday so I can include the other pics I take.

Fred reported to me that batteries #1 and #2 are in bad shape (puffed) and while we were there, he purchased an extra pack for the project (Thanks, Fred!).

Frank, is it okay if I put one of my stickers for my Podcast on the side of the case?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 AM
donjiskra
WAA-08 Pilot

Default MaxAmp batteries new sponsorship

MaxAmps sponsorship

We welcome MAxAmps for their support to keep our adventure "aloft".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MAXAMPS SPONSORSHIP.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	104127  
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Default Newest Sponsor

As you have already seen MaxAmps is our newest sponsor.

Due to the recent battery failures of the Apogee batteries we were currently using -which might have caused the binding issues, I contacted Jason at MaxAmps to see if they would like to help with our adventure after explaining what had happened with the batteries we were using.
I shot Jason an email and right away replied that he was more than happy to supply us with the necessary batteries so the SQuiRT cold continue her journey. I asked for 3 batteries and he is sending us 4. Jason is also including the Deans connectors on them as well.

We certainly appreciate MaxAmps support and sponsorship of the Wings Across America 2008 adventure. Welcome Aboard MaxAmps!

Frank
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Originally Posted by crash-man View Post
I now am in possession of the plane! Pilot #126, Fred H, drove up about 50 miles and met me at The Waco Hobby Stop to hand it off. Max, the shop's owner, snapped a pic of the hand-off and I will upload it after we fly Sunday so I can include the other pics I take.

Fred reported to me that batteries #1 and #2 are in bad shape (puffed) and while we were there, he purchased an extra pack for the project (Thanks, Fred!).

Frank, is it okay if I put one of my stickers for my Podcast on the side of the case?
Mike,

Thanks for the update and feel free to place a sticker on the case.

Since we have the new battery, can you dispose of the two puffed ones for us? Speaking of the new battery, can you check to see of the included charger is compatible with that batteries balancing tabs? There is a known issue of the polarities being reversed on the charger.

Good luck on your flight!

Frank
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 AM
crash-man

Mike,

Thanks for the update and feel free to place a sticker on the case.

Since we have the new battery, can you dispose of the two puffed ones for us? Speaking of the new battery, can you check to see of the included charger is compatible with that batteries balancing tabs? There is a known issue of the polarities being reversed on the charger.

Good luck on your flight!

Frank
Consider to done, Frank!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Thanks Mike! And let me know what happens with the charger and the charging tabs on the new battery. I know I had to get an adapter so we can charge the MaxAmps batteries due to the polarity on the charger.

Frank
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Frank, I just want to say again, how much I appreciate all your time and effort on WAA-08. Without your dream and hard work, SQuiRT would still be at Stevens Aero in a kit box.

Quick Reply: Wings Across America 2008 (WAA-08) ----History In The Making!------

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15353 seconds with 13 queries