Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Reload this Page >

Davis, Woodland, Sacramento guys, is there anywhere to get foam cut?

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Davis, Woodland, Sacramento guys, is there anywhere to get foam cut?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 AM
arguspanoptes4

Unhappy Davis, Woodland, Sacramento guys, is there anywhere to get foam cut?

I am a student at UC Davis and I am trying to get into this RC plane thing. I have owned several RC cars and a boat or two, but when it comes to the planes I seem to be trying all the wrong stuff in all the wrong ways. My biggest problem is that because I am away from my permanent home I lack space and tools. I have now tried building two sport planes which I have effectively destroyed upon their maiden flights, so I decided maybe a HLG sailplane would be more forgiving. I decided on a design from the internet (http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm) and got most of the materials, substituting like materials for the rest, but after I brought home my large pieces of foam I realized there was no way for me to shape it into a wing core of any kind, Is there a reasonable solution to this? I am really looking for a place that might be able to just cut it for me for a price. I would try to build my own foam cutter but I have no where to put/use it due to space confinement (actually I am still tying to figure out how to tell my roomate that there is going to be a 5-6 foot plane hanging from the ceiling in our 10x11 room lol). Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I hope this thread is in the right spot cuz there is a little crossover into sailplanes.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I manufacture a couple of foam kits, one of them a p40 and another an rc flying dragon and have a biplane under development. I'm using a hand wire cutter, my bow has some add on's which helps keep it steady but nothing too elaborate. Your wings are in 3 sections from what I'm seeing at the site you pointed to, you'll find the polyhedral to be more forgiving then what's typically on sport planes, so it's a good call to go with that style of plane. Personally, I'd still give it a motor to make getting altitude much easier.

The main thing on doing these, at least how I am doing them is in the creation of the jigs, that's the main time constraint, after those are built and everything is set in place, the main time you are dealing with is setting up and breaking down of each step, so cutting out more then just one copy is a reccomended. I'm game if you are on this one, you'll still have to finish sand, sheet, and join the wing sections though, let me know what you can afford and I'll see if I can accomodate you.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
arguspanoptes4

Hmmm... I haven't settled on the wing covering, so I am open to whatever you think is better. But, I do have an electric 370 size motor that I could add on. How much does a motor and larger battery effect the gliding abilities?