Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Sony Cyber-Shot® DSC-H3 Digital Still Camera

Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Sony Cyber-Shot® DSC-H3 Digital Still Camera

I'm going to give this one a try. I'm doubtful it will work but I'm gonna do it anyways. This camera has Image Stabilization and everyone else has had poor results but I have not heard of anyone using the Sony. So maybe another brand of optic sensors could prove ok.

Here are the specs:

Weight (Approx.) : 9.3 oz (264 g) Body; 13.4 oz. (380 g) including Battery and optional Memory Stick™ DUO Media
35mm Equivalent : 38 - 380 mm
Aperture Range : Auto, (f3.5-f10.0)
Digital Zoom : 0-2.0X (Precision)
Exposure Compensation : ±2.0 EV, 1/3 EV Step Increments
Face Detection : Yes
Focal Length : 6.3 - 63 mm
Focus : 9 Area Multi-Point AF, Monitoring AF
ISO : Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
Macro Mode : Yes
Optical Zoom : 10X
Shutter Speed : Auto( 1/2000 - 1/4 ) / Program auto( 1/2000 - 1 ) / Manual( 1/2000 - 30 )
Smart Zoom® Technology : Up to 12X (5MP), 15X (3MP), 17X (16:9 2MP) 51X (VGA Resolution)4
Total Zoom : 20X

Here is the power horse that is going to carry it:

This plane has already carried my 10 oz Sony Cybershot up with ease, so 3 more ounces shouldnt bother it.

Below are some pics of my camera box and camera -

As soon as I get a day of sun and low winds, I'm trying this out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	102321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	102322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	102323  
Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Fangar
Bank Robber

Looks good Dave. I can't wait to hear about the results. I scored a used Canon A640 and so far really like it. I need to get some more time to work with it though.

Keep us posted.

James
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Thats a cool camera plane, what is it?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
Thats a cool camera plane, what is it?
SS body, Custom Depron tail group, Magpie wings, ultrastik lg. Himax geared motor, 40+oz's of thrust. Put it all together and thats what I got!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
SS body, Custom Depron tail group, Magpie wings, ultrastik lg. Himax geared motor, 40+oz's of thrust. Put it all together and thats what I got!
Hey thanks I'm looking at doing some AP as we have cool things to see here. The camera I wish to use is 16oz, I'm trying to figure out the best flying machine to tote this. I will start with looking for this magpie wing...seems popular. Thanks for the info Dave, I will be watching to see how video works out on the Sony.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM
mark_

Looking forward to seeing some shots from that camera!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Sixter

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post

What is your HiMax Motor size, Gear Ratio, Prop, ESC and Battery set up? I am looking to do some Aerial Photography and I have several GWS Slo Sticks laying around. I also have a Maxx Gear Box set. Just need a set of Magpie Wings

Thanks
Sixter
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Fangar
Bank Robber

Originally Posted by Sixter View Post
What is your HiMax Motor size, Gear Ratio, Prop, ESC and Battery set up? I am looking to do some Aerial Photography and I have several GWS Slo Sticks laying around. I also have a Maxx Gear Box set. Just need a set of Magpie Wings

Thanks
Sixter
Hey Bobby...

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=339

26 bucks. Although with your wire skills, you could cut one out in no time.

Talk at you soon,

James
Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Sixter

I need a Wing to make the Airfoil Templates It's a Tapered Wing, can't see what type Airfoil it is, flat or under chambered? The attached picture is a Tapered Combat Wing that I cut several years back! I haven't cut any wings since I was introduced to FFF and Electric Flight My Feather Cut Wing Cutter is set up on the cutting table, but I don't think I have any White Foam. At this time it would be cheaper for me to buy a set of wings and then I can make a set of Templates, and find some foam. It's very time consuming to make a set of Templates for the Feather Cutter. It takes a upper cut and lower cut Template for each end of the wing. The Templates have to be made from Formica and have to be very smooth on the surface where the Cutting Wire moves. As you can see I can cut a perfect wing, you get what you put into it!!

Sixter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My Wing.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	102769  
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by Sixter View Post

Thanks
Sixter

I too am interested in this info...it would be nice if a developed AP pilot could share some of his good fortune with us learners... I simply hate wasting money on un-needed things you know what I mean.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

I got this wing and not sure of its lift abilities but it is used on a super cub, and them cub planes have alot of loft I say...I went with the wing from the hobbyzone SuperCub. It measures 48 inches not 50 or 56 like Magpie.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...s/HBZ7120.html

Whats anybody think? Good or no?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Sixter

Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
I too am interested in this info...it would be nice if a developed AP pilot could share some of his good fortune with us learners... I simply hate wasting money on un-needed things you know what I mean.
Yes I know what you mean! Don't even want to think about how much I have spent and wasted over the past 46 years Got the Bug in my 9th year of life

Sixter
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Fangar
Bank Robber

That is a nice looking wing Sixter. The Magpie and most AP wings have a flat bottom. designed more for light that aerobatic flight of course.

The Supercub wing in my opinion is not going to cut it for the AP applications. A little too light weight. Don't get me wrong, it would likely work, but my AP plane lifts a 60 ounce payload.

James
Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by Fangar View Post
That is a nice looking wing Sixter. The Magpie and most AP wings have a flat bottom. designed more for light that aerobatic flight of course.

The Supercub wing in my opinion is not going to cut it for the AP applications. A little too light weight. Don't get me wrong, it would likely work, but my AP plane lifts a 60 ounce payload.

James
Oh sorry James I should have mentioned I will be sparring it and cover it with monokote like I did my scratch build Twitter Bip. I would never think of flying without making the wing strong for the load as it's just foam with some crappy straps lol. does have a nice center plastic core in middle for fuse support, one plus I think

Anyhow don't wanna turn Dave's camera try out post into AP plane building class 4 me, for 19.00 I will give the Supercub wing a whirl. I just ordered a magpie for back up or second AP platform...more likely option two

thanks for the info guys.