Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

How to trim the plane after a flight?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Jack_K

Default How to trim the plane after a flight?

After I have flown the plane and set the trims, if I change to a different model the trim settings in the TX are lost because the TX (DX6i) does not save the trims.

I'd like to change the linkages on the plane to compensate for the trim settings in the TX. So, how do I measure the trim amount and then adjust the linkages so I can use the zero trim on the TX?

Jack
Old 07-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Jack_K View Post
if I change to a different model the trim settings in the TX are lost because the TX (DX6i) does not save the trims.
The Dx61 is a computer radio and it should save your trim settings. I know mine does so...confused there but in answer to your question

What I have done in the past for ailerons before shutting of the radio and plane I have taken a sharpie and made a small mark so I then could go out and use the linkage to adjust it. after complete you need to center your trim settings on the Tx or they will just return to where you had them each time. For minor adjustments you can use the subtrim on your radio as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

With practice you will learn how much to adjust clevices to be able to center up the trims...

Note the position of the surface as trimmed for level flight.

Center the trim function of the TX. Adjust the clevice to put the surface back to the angle it was.

You may have to go through this a few times but each time you should be less off and eventually you will find you go back and forth 1/2 turn and need to correct with 1 to 3 clicks of trim on the TX. The trim should be a finer adjustment than the clevice.

I make the mechanical adjustments on my planes to center up the trims because its just "good engineering practice."
Old 07-04-2015, 11:31 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

First - the Tx has memory ? So why are you not using a separate memory for each model ? Trims will be remembered for each memory slot.

To mechanically center after flight I use card. Insert in slot of surface to fixed ... mark with pen where surface is. Now center trims and adjust clevis to bring surface back to the mark.

Simple.

Nigel
Old 07-05-2015, 01:02 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

After I have flown the plane and set the trims, if I change to a different model the trim settings in the TX are lost because the TX (DX6i) does not save the trims.

I'd like to change the linkages on the plane to compensate for the trim settings in the TX. So, how do I measure the trim amount and then adjust the linkages so I can use the zero trim on the TX?

Jack
Might I suggest you have an experienced buddy from the Texas Wings Flying Club lend you a hand.......?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
First - the Tx has memory ? So why are you not using a separate memory for each model ? Trims will be remembered for each memory slot.
I asked Spektrum and was told that the DX6i does not store the trim settings.

To mechanically center after flight I use card. Insert in slot of surface to fixed ... mark with pen where surface is. Now center trims and adjust clevis to bring surface back to the mark.
I didn't follow that. I guess I'm too dense.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:11 AM
birdDog
Charging....

That sounds odd. It does store the subtrims correct? If so, just use them to bring the surfaces back where you want them.

My old DX6 stores it all. Hellicopter, fixed wing, everything. No way you can program helicopters and not save trim settings. That would be extremely dangerous, and costly.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sounds like a job for :

RTFM

Nigel
Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Sounds like a job for :

RTFM

Nigel
Indeed.

Jack,
The DX6i does 'save trims' as well as any other settings you make. I'm guessing you are not aware that the Tx has model memories? You use an individual model memory for each of your planes which from a setup and trim point of view is just like having an individual Tx for each model.

But in any case it is good practice the centre the trims after a trimming flight. To do that you take visual note of the position of the surface, you centre the trim, then you mechanically adjust the surface to put it back in it's trimmed position.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here's the manual if anyone interested .............

DSM2 older version

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...anual_DX6i.pdf

and DSMX later versions ....

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual_EN.pdf

Tried uploading but some reason fails to upload ...

Nigel
Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

To mechanically center after flight I use card. Insert in slot of surface to fixed ... mark with pen where surface is. Now center trims and adjust clevis to bring surface back to the mark......................

I didn't follow that. I guess I'm too dense.
Simple really ... its just about knowing where the trimmed surface lies ...

So flat smooth level floor ....

Place model down without any additions or blocks etc. Have it at trimmed condition...

Now taking paper or card slide it into the slot right up to fixed part at back of hinge line and have its bottom edge sitting on the floor ... floor provides constant datum level.

Now mark the trimmed position of surface .............

With radio and model powered up (remove prop and Throttle cut activated) ... you now centre that trim ...
Adjust the clevis the required amount and then repeat above on the floor, except DON'T make new mark on card ! .. adjust clevis till surface matches the original mark on card you made ...

Repeat for all surfaces.

Note that NO MODEL ever has perfect trim ... weather, battery weight, change of prop, slight different rigging, dings dents and prangs ... all create a model that often needs a click or two most flights to be spot on.
Not everyones' a Prettner or Wargo ...

Nigel
Old 07-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Jack_K

Place model down without any additions or blocks etc. Have it at trimmed condition...

Now taking paper or card slide it into the slot right up to fixed part at back of hinge line and have its bottom edge sitting on the floor ... floor provides constant datum level.

With radio and model powered up (remove prop and Throttle cut activated) ... you now centre that trim ...
Adjust the clevis the required amount and then repeat above on the floor, except DON'T make new mark on card ! .. adjust clevis till surface matches the original mark on card you made ...

Repeat for all surfaces.

Note that NO MODEL ever has perfect trim ... weather, battery weight, change of prop, slight different rigging, dings dents and prangs ... all create a model that often needs a click or two most flights to be spot on.

Nigel
Wow! Thanks Nigel. That makes a lot of sense.
BTW, with digital trims, how do I zero the trims out?

Jack
Old 07-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

Jack,
The DX6i does 'save trims' as well as any other settings you make. I'm guessing you are not aware that the Tx has model memories? You use an individual model memory for each of your planes which from a setup and trim point of view is just like having an individual Tx for each model.
Yes, but when I select a different model the new model's trims will be saved but the previous model's trims will be lost.

Spektrum said the trims are NOT saved in the model's memory.

BTW, with digital trims, how do I zero the trims out? Just select a different model I assume.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:51 PM
birdDog
Charging....

All my spektrum radios (3) save trims. Just sayin. Alot of benefit in reading the manual (which is fairly obvious that you have not). Heck, most manufacturers post them online in PDF format today to insure that their customers can use the product to its full potential in a safe manner.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yes, but when I select a different model the new model's trims will be saved but the previous model's trims will be lost.

Spektrum said the trims are NOT saved in the model's memory.

BTW, with digital trims, how do I zero the trims out? Just select a different model I assume.
Whoever said that they aren't saved was wrong, period. The whole point of digital trims vs. sliders is that the trim position is stored in model memory.

There are little slide bars on the LCD display that show the position of the digital trim, also the 'beep' tone is different when the trim hits centre. It's easy to verify that trim is saved, just apply some trim, note the position of the slider on the LCD screen. That slider position will be saved for that model regardless of if you turn the Tx off or use different memories.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Jack ... I don't own or use Spektrum - but even I know that whoever at Spektrum told you trims are not saved is wrong.
Unless you have a very old 1st generation radio ? Did you buy it second hand ? Did it come with a model from shop or private sale ?
Do you have the Manual for the radio ? Have you read it ?
What is the actual Radio you have ? New / old etc.
What about a photo - so we can identify exacty what radio just in case of confusion ?
If you don't have a manual - have you looked at the links I gave earlier for downloads of the manuals ?
At moment I think I am not only one completely at a loss why we know a DX6i will save trims and you keep saying it wont ...
Nigel
Old 07-05-2015, 07:29 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Might I suggest you have an experienced buddy from the Texas Wings Flying Club lend you a hand.......?
One of the greatest values to being a club member is the "hands-on" help one can receive from experienced guys.........really speeds up the learning and application aspect instantly.........resorting to on-line forums has it's benefits, but nothing replaces the hands-on experience better.........you'll know pretty quick if you got it right then and there.........

Jack K
Club: Texas Wings Flying Club
Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
All my spektrum radios (3) save trims. Just sayin. Alot of benefit in reading the manual (which is fairly obvious that you have not). Heck, most manufacturers post them online in PDF format today to insure that their customers can use the product to its full potential in a safe manner.
I have scoured the manual numerous times and there's absolutely no mention about saving trims. In fact the only mention of trims is the identification of the trim tabs.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Repeat for all surfaces.

Nigel
Seriously? You go through all that trouble?

What I do (with my HiTec Flash5X, although it should work with any brand/model) is after I have all the trims properly set for correct flight I just write down the trim numbers from the transmitter. Then with the TX on I reset them all to the OPPOSITE of what they currently are. IOW, if the rudder trim is +2 I reset the rudder trim to -2. With everything now trimmed 'backwards', that is at the correct amount but in the opposite direction of what it should be I mechanically set all the reverse trimmed control surfaces to neutral (that is to say NO trim). Now when I reset the trims on the TX to zero the control surfaces will move to their correct proper trim locations.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I have scoured the manual numerous times and there's absolutely no mention about saving trims. In fact the only mention of trims is the identification of the trim tabs.

Geeez..........It's a product of the programming on all programmable Spektrum radios ........the "trim" is saved a part of the setup and model list........scroll through the menu (step-by-step) apply the applications you desire, in your case the SUB-TRIM functions will adjust your servo centering/travel, then save......can be done by either hitting the model save or save after each application change......even after you've turned the radio off, more than likely everything you have done for that model will be saved automatically.........

Once you have the model and settings saved, pull up the menu to your model and go thru that models settings.........then, turn off the TX, take the prop of the craft, turn on the TX, plug a battery into the plane, and that model should bind and you'll see it's name on the TX screen......then work the sticks on the TX to see if the settings you saved are functioning as you had planned.........if not, then you either need to make TX application changes or physically adjust you linkage rods to your preference..........

Really, based on your responses, you could use the help of one of your club buddies.......much faster than asking questions here.......

Last edited by pizzano; 07-05-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Nor does it mention 'not' saving trims.... As all settings for each model is individually stored to memory I guess they just assume it doesn't have to be stated.

We can debate this all day, but it's ridiculous to do so because the answer is easily proved and has been proved countless times to anyone who has used a programmable Tx. The fact is that the DX6i along with all other Tx's that have model memories DOES save trims. You can prove it to yourself as i explained in my last post, just try it and end the discussion.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Nor does it mention 'not' saving trims.... As all settings for each model is individually stored to memory I guess they just assume it doesn't have to be stated.

We can debate this all day but it's ridiculous to do so. The fact is that the DX6i along with all other Tx's that have model memories DOES save trims.. You can prove it to yourself as i explained in my last post, just try it and end the discussion.

LOL........the dude either refuses to use the resources he has at the CLUB..........or.........you get the picture.......
Old 07-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
LOL........the dude either refuses to use the resources he has at the CLUB..........or.........you get the picture.......
I think that's a pretty disrespectful comment. Especially since we're all posting on a Sunday and there are no club members present here.

I'm only reiterating what Spektrum told me. I'll try to see if the trims are actually saved in the model later and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Jack_K

OK. I just tried it on the bench and it seems to store the trims in the model. Switching to a different model and changing the trims and back to 1st model, the trims I saved seem to be there.

Now, how do I zero the trims? I don't hear any beeps when I move the trim all the way back and forth.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 AM
birdDog
Charging....

It is all explained in the model setup in the manual. Easily and quickly answered.

Quick Reply: How to trim the plane after a flight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12301 seconds with 13 queries