Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 212 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by KeithB078 View Post
thanks for all the warm welcomes. i forgot to mention i have a pilots license, but i got a feeling these are harder to fly. But at least i already understand aerodynamics and airplane tech a bit
You are correct, Keith. I also have a pilots license as well as being a flight instructor for30+ years and believe me, it helps a bit, because as you said you understand how things work. But it does not prepare you for flying a RC airplane when it is headed toward you. You will get there with no problem but it just takes time for your brain to adapt.

You are used to feeling in your butt what the airplane is doing and of course you don't feel an RC airplane.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:54 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey Keith! Welcome to the site!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:08 AM
rcflip

Hi people have been flying electric for a little while now, slowly getting bigger over the years, hope all are well.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 AM
Vic Z

Welcome to the insanity.
Since you have already been flying, you know about the addiction. Being here is a bad sign as far as mental health goes.
We offer no help for that, but we sure have lots of fun.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Welcome flip,
We've been expecting you.

Enjoy the ride !

Hawk
Old 09-03-2016, 04:22 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by rcflip View Post
Hi people have been flying electric for a little while now, slowly getting bigger over the years, hope all are well.
Welcome to Wattflyer!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Spike101

Default New member today

Hi,

I am Ken, I am new to this site and I have never flown an rc airplane.

I currently own 6 of them (all electric). From 15 inch wing to 60 inch and I just ordered a Skyline Corvus Breitling 30CC 74''/1880mm 3D Aerobatic RC Airplane ARF B from General Hobby.

So, I am going to be relying heavily on the experience of this form and it's members to help build out the Breitling.

I know, I know, I am putting the cart before the horse. Why would I buy a 3d plane of this size without the flying experience? Simple answer is I am looking forward to the build experience and I enjoy looking at the planes as well. Heck it is just an exciting hobby. Living in Minnesota the winters are long and it affords me the time to build it right.

I own a simulator and am building my thumb memory.

When I do go to fly my first plane, I will probably do it under the supervision of and experienced trainer. The Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver will probably be my trainer, 59 inch wing and seems like the easiest of my planes to fly.

That is about it from me for now. I am looking forward to many conversations and learning a lot.

Ken
Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello Ken and welcome to Wattflyer and the world of electric RC flying. It sound like you are on the right path. The simulator will help you get a feel for flying. Do not get discouraged of all does not go right on the simulator because all simulators are not created equal and some do better at giving a correct flying experience.

It is a great idea to get an experienced RC pilot to help you with your first flights. Your airplanes will like it also because they will get to live for more than one flight.

This is a great hobby and you are on the right path.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Welcome Ken,

I see the addiction has already set in. Welcome to WF. There's a plethora of knowledge available to tap into here. Helped me immensely as I was learning electrics.

The Sim and Buddy Boxing with an Instructor pilot are excellent ideas. Invest the time to get started in the right way, and you'll be one happy camper.

Here's some good winter reading. Aeajr's manifesto. It's alike taking a crash course in Electrical Engineering. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

Best of luck !

Hawk
Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Flysfloats

Smile

Hi, Ken: You are guaranteed at least 6 flights!!!! That is the good news, my only suggestion is that you have an experienced pilot with you the first couple of flights, first to preflight your plane, then to do a trim flight and then to be your copilot till your feathers grow out a bit.

Welcome to a great activity!! FF
Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Howdy Ken,welcome to WF!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:18 PM
HandyLefty

Default I'm here!

Hello all, been flying quads for a couple years now, up in MA. Building my first fixed wing this winter and can't wait to get it in the air with you folks!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to WF!
Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Welcome!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by HandyLefty View Post
Hello all, been flying quads for a couple years now, up in MA. Building my first fixed wing this winter and can't wait to get it in the air with you folks!
Hello Handy and welcome to Wattflyer. I am just learning about quads. I looked at building one several years ago, before they were so readily available, but decided against it. I received a quad for Christmas and am learning about them slowly but surely. Each flight is a new experience. So far I have not broken anything, but it could happen any time.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:31 PM
thaterikperson

I picked up a Hobbyzone Champ S+ as my first plane and I am hooked! Hoping it stays above freezing here in Boston so I can keep flying.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to WF erik!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:34 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Person
Welcome to WF. It's a great place.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM
SkyDaddy

Hello! I bought myself a Sport Cub S RTF a "few" months ago and yes I now own 6 planes! Is there anything wrong with having one for each day of the week? Thank goodness for a local flying club and a certain member mentoring me or I would still be sticking planes in trees, as I did Christmas Day! The wife giggled as she drove up with our 3 year old granddaughter and said " it's been many years since I had a kid tear up his present in Christmas Day".
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Nothing wrong at all! Welcome!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Vic Z

Welcome SkyDaddy,
6 planes already. You'll fit right in. I've been at this only a year and am on number 8. More of an addiction than a hobby so be careful. Will eat up all the time and money you allow it to.
Great info on here so make sure and askl ots of questions.
What planes do you have?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 PM
SkyDaddy

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Welcome SkyDaddy,
6 planes already. You'll fit right in. I've been at this only a year and am on number 8. More of an addiction than a hobby so be careful. Will eat up all the time and money you allow it to.
Great info on here so make sure and askl ots of questions.
What planes do you have?
Well I have a Timber, Exp Edge 540, FMS MXS, Eflite Stick (in build process), and 39" Crack Yak! I may have a FMS Beaver, still in the box, in my truck but don't tell the wife!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5605.JPG (1.06 MB, 103 views)
Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Vic Z

Nice hangar. Mine is very similar.
I started with a sportsman, then a trojan, a beaver, a sukhoi, hummer, extra 300, corsair, and am getting ready to start an an EF 48" Edge.
I love on a lake so my trojan is on floats
How do you like the edge?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by HandyLefty View Post
I used to live in Oxford! Look up gramps2361 here, he lives in the area. Really good guy and a good flyer.
I've moved somewhere where I don't need snow skis on my planes anymore! :-)

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17117 seconds with 14 queries