Durable 3D foamy - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Durable 3D foamy

Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
t. edwards

Default Durable 3D foamy

Hi,

What would your recommend as a durable foam 3D park flyer to practice my meager skills with?

I had a E-Flite Ultimate Bipe that was pretty much what I need but you couldn't even think about setting it on the ground without ripping a wing out of the fuselage.

In your experience what holds up to minor abuse well so I can fly more and repair less? Thanks much, Tom

PS. Hope I got this in the right forum. Emphasis on 3D but I fly outdoors.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

I have been looking for the same thing. So far, the Mountain Models Panic is the standout for me. All EPP so its tough, and its a little larger and not a "plate" plane so it will handle winds better. People say its a great plane just for aerobatic flying as well.

I have also been looking at planes like the GP FlightFlex models that are supposed to more durable. I know I will definately need durable! I also want something that I can fly outdoors when it isnt dead calm.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:14 PM
rca

I'm currently looking into one of the Slofly EPP 3D models. Probably either the 28 or the 32. You can find build info and videos on the slofly website. There is also a pretty long thread about them over at the "other" website.

rca
Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 PM
frvrngn
Oops....

I've looked at the Slofly's for a while now. They look very durable, but with the light weight I didnt think they would be able to handle any kind of breeze.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 PM
rca

I'm not too sure about the breeze either. I did notice that Steve has them on sale right now though, so I am definitely going to pick a few up. Just can't beat the deal and if they don't work well in a breeze, that'll be OK.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

I gave up on all the flimsy profile models I have owned. Not a single one survives for long, period. They are just too fragile.

I just got me from 3DX Hobbies in NJ an Airfoilz YAK-54 which I'll begin assembling tomorrow or Sunday evening. I am so impressed with its engineering and quality of workmanship that I'll open a build thread here when I get going.

I have yet to see a 3D so light and so rigid as this one. Its wing airfoil is a very rigid fully symetrical one. It has a fully functional (detachable) landing gear, requires a modestly priced power plant, and it has killer looks to boot. We get to enjoy a winning 3D flying combination in every imaginable aspect.

The Arifoilz YAK-54 is rather reasonably priced as well ($69.89), especially when one considers the amount of engineering and degree of termination that went into this model before it was released to the R/C public. The hardware that comes with it is as complete as one can wish for on any model. Just add servos, RX, motor & ESC, favorite battery pack and it's ready to go in a few hours.

Videos on their website are rather enlightening, especially the less than perfect landings.

Watching it survie those is what made me decide to go the Airfoilz way.

http://www.3dxhobbies.com/cart/index...roducts_id=172

Last edited by qban_flyer; 03-05-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Mike Glass
foam fan

Check out the wildThing at www.horseflyhobbies.com
It's very durable and out flys any profile plane on the market in its class.

Mike
Old 03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
RonJ

I like my SX-3 but see they are out of production now. A fly'd buddy just found one on EBay.

My future 3D projects will definately have a fully symetrical airfoil and constructed out of EPP. They seem to handle the wind much better than the flat plate wings.

RonJ
Old 03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
RonJ

Default Tough 3D trainer

I knew there was a spin-off of the SX-3. I think this one will answer your needs for a durable 3D trainer.

http://www.e-foamies.com/3D/R3DV2ARF...oduct=R3DV2ARF

Check out the videos.

RonJ
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
t. edwards

RonJ,

Thanks, that looks like the right idea. Tom
Old 03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Tom Moody

Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
I knew there was a spin-off of the SX-3. I think this one will answer your needs for a durable 3D trainer.

http://www.e-foamies.com/3D/R3DV2ARF...oduct=R3DV2ARF

Check out the videos.

RonJ
Mine only lasted about 3 short flights until it was trash.

The Mountain Models Panic is EPS but it is all taped which makes it fairly durable. I love mine but it is my second one. I managed to destroy the first one. There is no such thing as an indestructable plane.

Tom Moody
Old 03-06-2006, 12:32 AM
elenasgrumpy

I too have oredered the Airfoil Z. Go to the elctricflying 3d forum on rcu & watch the video of it flying in a 20 mph wind.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 PM

I've been thinking of the same thing. This http://www.e-foamies.com/3D/EXTRAEPP...ct=EXTRAEPPARF looks like a very good option.

I also like the looks of this http://www.hobby-lobby.com/uzixxl.htm

Brad