Removing Blade CP Grips - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Removing Blade CP Grips

Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM
IowaHeli

Default Removing Blade CP Grips

I need to remove the blade grips from my CP. I removed the rotors and have attempted to remove the two allen bolts (one on each side) that secure the grips, but have been unsuccessful. Are they on there really tight (and threadlocked perhaps) or is there some other way to remove them other than placing an allen wrench into each one and turning the opposite direction? The wrenches strip out and the bolts don't budge.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 08:18 PM
cooperd

Originally Posted by IowaHeli View Post
I need to remove the blade grips from my CP. I removed the rotors and have attempted to remove the two allen bolts (one on each side) that secure the grips, but have been unsuccessful. Are they on there really tight (and threadlocked perhaps) or is there some other way to remove them other than placing an allen wrench into each one and turning the opposite direction? The wrenches strip out and the bolts don't budge.

Thanks
Mine was really tight, just use two allen wrenches and some muscle. May be threadlocked. Use wrenches that aren't worn or rounded.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 PM
bert269

my stock blade was the same...But I did manage to get the one out...the other one is still stuck....with closer investigation is looks like it's 'rusted'? Imagine that....I mean I'm not flying a submarine here, it's suppose to be a heli...How would it be rusted tight? till today I have not managed to get them apart, so I went and bought a whole new head-shaft, hardware, spacers, etc - to fix the 'collective pitch problem' because mine was wrongly assembled.
thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 09:07 PM
bert269

I was afraid of clamping the shaft in anything else than my hands.....I even tried grabbing it with paper and cloth inside the wrenches - no luck...because damage to it was just around the corner...
Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 AM
t. edwards

Chuck the shaft in a drill to hold it to take out the 2nd allen head. Tom
Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Will Hicks
Dealer

The screws are threadlocked. Carefully apply heat on the screw head, with a soldering iron, for a few seconds and you'll be able to remove the screws.

Once you remove one screw, it'll be necessary to safely hold the shaft securely while removing the other. I use a vise fitted with hard rubber jaw protectors to hold the shaft.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:37 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

I got the one screw out, found a piece of piano wire that went in the hole where I took the screw out, then hammered the sucker out.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:04 AM
skiman762
FFFC

make sure you check that the bearing washer mod has been done before you put it back together
Old 04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
IowaHeli

I gave up on using the cheapo elbow wrenches and purchased two quality sets of allen wrenches. The bolts holding the grips came out with ease with the right tools.

On reassembly, I'm having trouble getting both bearings into the grip. On the "finger" end of the grip, you put a spacer, then two bearings touching each other. Any tips on how to get both bearing in there? I can get one in, but not two.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Will Hicks
Dealer

The grip set that uses the short brass spacer is for the dual bearing units. If you have purchased a set of grips and the spacer is silver, you need the other set.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
IowaHeli

Originally Posted by Will Hicks View Post
The grip set that uses the short brass spacer is for the dual bearing units. If you have purchased a set of grips and the spacer is silver, you need the other set.
Ah, that probably explains it. I'll check it tonight, but I believe the grip I purchased does include a silver spacer. I own a Blade CP, but purchase parts for the E-Sky Honey Bee CP2, since they are cheaper. Perhaps the Honey Bee uses the single bearing grip??

Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 AM
jimmi

The best way to get your blade grips out is I used to use that wrench they supplied then bought me another better one but still no good fit. I went to my allen wrench set, I have 2 sets I mm and one standard size. I use the millimeter wrench for my blade grip and they work great. The standard size they seem to slip and you cannot get enough bite to get them out. When you put them back in you need to put one large washer then a small washer to start. Inbetween the head it needs 1 smaller washer on each side and when putting the last screw in it needs another large washer and a smaller washer for the blade grips. Hope that helps. Jimmi

They say its mind over matter but if you don't have a mind it doesn't matter