Belly landing a puller prop - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Belly landing a puller prop

Old 05-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Default Belly landing a puller prop

My adventure in RC is continuing. After a failed venture with the Firebird freedom and firebird commander I bought 3 aeroaces, and took the wings off one (Made a mono wing) and LOVE flying this little plane!! I'd like to move on though, and through research I think that the slov-V is the plane most like my Aeroace in speed. My main question is that with this puller type prop I wfeel I'll be breaking props alot (my flying area is grass) if I belly land the plane. Anyone with experience belly landing??
Old 05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Do it all the time. Props very rarely break unless you really hammer the plane into the ground. If you actually watch what happens the prop will move round out of the way as soon as it contacts the ground.

Just a couple of things.....make sure the throttle is off and perhaps even more important, if your ESC has a brake SWITCH IT OFF. If you leave it on it will stop the prop from moving round out of danger. Brakes are only for folding props .

Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Thanks Steve!!! what a relief!!! Now that you describe it so, I can imagine the prop moving out the way for sure...

Now I better go change my title....
Old 05-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Twmaster

Yup belly flop some of my GWS birds all the time. Only ever broke a prop once due to stupid me running the throttle up at landing.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:23 AM
redgiki

I hate to rub salt into anybody's wounds, but I, too, used to complain about broken props on landing belly-sliders. Not anymore.

These days, I belly-land all the time on many of my planes, and there is one overriding cause of broken props: inexperience. The causes I see for broken props? (Some are redundant with what's been said)
  • Bringing it in too fast
  • Failure to know the stall characteristics of your plane
  • Leaving the throttle up while landing (the last few seconds before landing should be dead-stick to allow the prop to spin down)
  • Leaving the prop brake on
  • Not successfully completing the stall-out and "flop" technique a few inches above the ground
Yeah, it takes a little work and a lot of stick time to get it right all the time. And even with the fact that I'm flying belly-floppers 10 or more times every week during the summer, I've still broken a prop due to numb thumbs. But I don't seem to be breaking them any more often than the fellows I know who have the advantage of landing gear

What I think is even cooler is that belly-landing planes without breaking props has taught me to have really good "greaser" landings when I do have the benefit of landing gear. I rarely land long, and my rollouts are short. It's big fun.

I've read a lot of people who say "when will I stop breaking props?" My answer is "when you've become an experienced pilot". And, in my experience, you'll no longer break props once you have at least three spares Bought 3 spare props for my E-Flite P-47D. Balanced two of them, in addition to the stock one. And I have never had to use them! I changed out to them to see how they performed. And this baby gets belly-landed constantly.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:47 AM
t. edwards

Starmoon, Buy a Slow Stick and use the landing gear. Tom
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Originally Posted by t. edwards View Post
Starmoon, Buy a Slow Stick and use the landing gear. Tom

When your flying area is grass, you can't use the gear. As for the Slow Stick, Well, I'll not get into that debate--suffice it to say that the Slo-V meets my needs at the current time...
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Starmoon I fly of grass all the time and use gear on my slow stick. The Slo-v has the exact same wheels.

They are big enough to use in grass as long as it's not real tall.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Thanks Firemanbill....I never thought that I could use the gear..
Old 05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
t. edwards

I fly off of grass all the time also. Wouldn't know what to do on pavement or even packed dirt. Slow Stick (3rd version), TM400 (great flyer), Mini Funtana under construction. All with AXI outrunners and lipo's and tall wheels. Tom
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Steve
Vermont Electric

Yeah...me too. SS IV with stock wheels and homemade LG. I can take off from grass no probs. Mind you....it's mowed...not some god aweful hay meadow or whatever.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Good news thanks for the imput guys!!!!