FMA Cellpro - fantastic job - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

FMA Cellpro - fantastic job

Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Well, my Cellpro 4S charger arrived this morning. Early enough for me to charge a couple of Cellpro 1500 mil 11.1V packs and go to CASA for a couple of flights.

To say that I am excited about the Cellpro 4S charger would be the understatement of the year. It is so nice to be able to plug the charger into the power supply, plug the battery pack into the Cellpro 4S and let it do its thing.

Nothing to worry about. No settings, no daisy chaining ancillary devices so the pack gets balanced, no nothing. Just plug and go. Love it already, it's the best $70 I have spent in my R/C life. Somehow the charged & balanced packs seemed to "feel" more powerful, like a fine tuned car engine. Photos below were taken during the charging process and are self explanatory except for number three which displays the entire charging station.

FMA has released a winner IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	10898   Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	10899   Click image for larger version

Name:	0003.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	10900   Click image for larger version

Name:	0005.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	10902   Click image for larger version

Name:	0006.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	10903  

Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

The rest of the photos taken during the charging process.

Name:	0007.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	10904   Click image for larger version

Name:	0008.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	10905   Click image for larger version

Name:	0009.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	10906   Click image for larger version

Name:	0011.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	10907   Click image for larger version

Name:	0010.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	10908  

Old 05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Dag blast it Qban I thought I was caught up for a while, then you had to post those bloomin pictures
Old 05-04-2006, 12:37 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
Dag blast it Qban I thought I was caught up for a while, then you had to post those bloomin pictures
This thing is absolutely marvelous. Love the sounds it makes. Its display is wonderful as well. Large nice, legible characters.

BTW, it's only $70 and does not need any dangling things attached to it in order to balance the Li-Po packs!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Yeah, yeah, yeah:p
Old 05-04-2006, 11:28 AM
a_g_bell
S.A.D. Member

Same here. Always something new out there.

Looks like this charger makes life with Lithium packs easier for us. May have to break down and get me one.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:58 PM
mike_mn
Hydrofoam Junkie

QBan
How long was the charge process?

I heard it is 1c during fast charge, then how much longer for the balance portion?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Fred Marks

Default CellPro balances as it charges

Originally Posted by mike_mn View Post
QBan

I heard it is 1c during fast charge, then how much longer for the balance portion?
None if you chose to pull the pack when the last cell reaches 4.2V as read on the display. CellPro balances actively as it charges so there is no chance for any cell to be driven above 4.2V then discharged to balance. You can read how it works from the manual at http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1215.pdf

The attached shows the action. The two sets of curves were made at about 250 cycles and at 450 cycles so you can see the effect of pack aging. Even at 450 cycles with pack capacityt ready to begin a steeper decline, the pack is still brought back to balance. As a result, IMO (and everyone will have his opinion of what is most important) the most important feature of CellPro is that you will not blow up your pack like a toad at any time in its life. The pack will simply give gradually decreasing flight time as it wears out. If you use the equally important DPM on a pack, then no cell ever gets ruined by over discharge or by over charge. Thus, safety is tremendously increased. Please be aware that, once a pack begins to show decrease in flight time to less than 80% of the first flight made, then the pack dies quickly. In perhaps as as little as 10 more cycles, a pack is likely to be down to 50%. The warning gives you time to purchase and replace.

Name:	CELL BALANCE ON CYCLE 452 OF SKV 2000 PACK 11 4 05.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	10960  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
mike_mn
Hydrofoam Junkie

Thanks Fred,
Another question for you, since you are around.

Is it worth the risks of adding balance leads to existing packs to be able to use the cell pro, or should I stick with another charger?

I really like the idea of the plug and go scenario, but not all packs come with balance plugs and I am not planning on using the cellpro battery line.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Fred, speaking of the cellpro battery line...........what cells will they be?

Doug
Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Fred Marks

Default Adding taps

Thanks Fred,
Another question for you, since you are around.

Is it worth the risks of adding balance leads to existing packs to be able to use the cell pro, or should I stick with another charger?

I really like the idea of the plug and go scenario, but not all packs come with balance plugs and I am not planning on using the cellpro battery line.
The taps are available on-line http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...soon/index.htm along with adapters to mate with other suppliers.

The risk is that you can't solder worth a darn. However, that is your decision and you can look at the technique in the manual at
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1213.pdf

and make an educated decision. Its a little like my trying to tell you if you can successfully perform a 1 /1/2 gainer off the high board. If its me, I know it will be a "cannonball"! One thing for sure: DO ONE LEAD AT A TIME! Don't get clever and have a lot of bare stuff flipping around. Good, clean iron and, of course, good quality electronics solder. I always use Ersin Multicore, but our Laura is a certified solderer so I usually ask her or Eric to solder things for "old shaky". Last guy I gave written instructions to for brain surgery botched the job.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:28 PM
mike_mn
Hydrofoam Junkie

Thanks again Fred,

I have seen your wiring digram before. I guess since you have it available, that means people use it...

I think I am up for a little adreneline pumping through my veins...an order may be on the way soon for a charger(and some extra taps).
Old 05-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Fred Marks

Default Adrenaline

Thanks again Fred,

I have seen your wiring digram before. I guess since you have it available, that means people use it...

I think I am up for a little adreneline pumping through my veins...an order may be on the way soon for a charger(and some extra taps).
Wonderful quote from Winston Churchill who was a vagabond soldier in his salad days: "There is nothing like the thrill of being shot at and missed!"

[email protected]
Old 05-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

I wish you people would quit hyping this this new charger. I've got a column to write (September Model Aviation) with dead line June 10th. By the time it appears you will have told the world already. Maybe there are enough digitally challenged still out there that it will be news to someone. :o . . . and I won't be out of a job needed to support my modest modeling needs. Is there no pity?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:34 AM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by Red Scholefield View Post
I wish you people would quit hyping this this new charger. I've got a column to write (September Model Aviation) with dead line June 10th. By the time it appears you will have told the world already. Maybe there are enough digitally challenged still out there that it will be news to someone. :o . . . and I won't be out of a job needed to support my modest modeling needs. Is there no pity?
None....... And if I am any indication you will never need to worry about digitally challenged specimens, and besides, what modeler in their right mind can walk past the latest edition of Model Avaition?:p
Old 05-06-2006, 02:35 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

QBan

As you can appreciate on photo number seven, it went into balancing mode at 12.54V for a Cellpro 11.1V pack when the pack reached 88% Fuel Capacity.

When compared to my non-balancing chargers, the Cellpro 4S seemed to take less time to charge the pack than with the other ones (usually over 75 or so minutes for a fairly depleted pack). My Cellpro 1500 mil pack took close to 1200 mil before it was fully charged. I don't think it took over 60 minutes to reach the fully balanced charge state.

Next time around I'll time it and report back, unless Red as that info available already.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
t. edwards

I'm surprised so little is being said about this charger. I pre-ordered one and waited (seemed like forever) for it and it was worth the wait. It definitely seems this is the direction to go. Charges the cells individually, no add-on balancer required, 3 amps available, reasonable price, no BS. Tom
Old 05-11-2006, 06:12 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t. edwards View Post
I'm surprised so little is being said about this charger. I pre-ordered one and waited (seemed like forever) for it and it was worth the wait. It definitely seems this is the direction to go. Charges the cells individually, no add-on balancer required, 3 amps available, reasonable price, no BS. Tom
You got that right.

No settings and or "memories" to fiddle with either. It does everything "automatically" and does so with elegance, gusto and in a price range that will be very hard to beat!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
pilotpete2
Pilotpete2

Thumbs up

Hey Qban Flyer,
"This changes everything":p Gee sounds like a commercial here
What can I say, it works.
Red, you still have to get the word out to the unbelievers!
cheers to the whole gang,
Pete
Old 05-11-2006, 11:07 PM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Hey Qban Flyer,

Pete

Got my RS 4 yesterday. installed the viewer software this afternoon. The only thing now is waiting for the serial adapter that is on back order.

I wont say how many Lipo chargers I have from the Apache 2 cell, FMA 402 and up. Unless I need to go to the Pro I think I have all I'll ever need. It has made everything so much easier and less chance of screwing up, that I realy like.

George

Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Hey Qban Flyer,
"This changes everything":p Gee sounds like a commercial here
What can I say, it works.
Pete
You know it!

No more guesswork, and or getting on one's knees praying the charge cycle will go without a hitch or that the battery pack might get fried by a charger's quirky moods.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ragbag View Post
Got my RS 4 yesterday. installed the viewer software this afternoon. The only thing now is waiting for the serial adapter that is on back order.

I wont say how many Lipo chargers I have from the Apache 2 cell, FMA 402 and up. Unless I need to go to the Pro I think I have all I'll ever need. It has made everything so much easier and less chance of screwing up, that I realy like.

George

YUP! Absolutely correct 100%!

No more daisy-chained "balancers" needed either. Love the price too!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up Charging times

As promised on an earlier post, here are the charging times obtained for different stages of "fuel" depletion packs. GOSH! I love that FUEL GAUGE thingy!

Pack #1- FMA CellPro 11.1V 1500mAH depleted to 27% - Charge time including balancing= 52 minutes. Balanced, charged stage individual cell voltages: cell 1= 4.2V, cell 2= 4.2V, cell 3= 4.19V TOTAL PACK VOLTAGE 12.6V

Pack #2- FMA CellPro 11.1V 1500mAH depleted to 30% - Charge time including balancing= 48 minutes. Balanced, charged stage individual cell voltages: cell 1= 4.2V, cell 2= 4.2V, cell 3= 4.2V TOTAL PACK VOLTAGE 12.6V

Pack #3- FMA CellPro 11.1V 1500mAH depleted to 22% - Charge time including balancing= 58 minutes. Balanced, charged stage individual cell voltages: cell 1= 4.2V, cell 2= 4.2V, cell 3= 4.2V TOTAL PACK VOLTAGE 12.6V

Love the loud beeping sound the FMA CellPro 4S charger makes as it switches from one stage to the next. Sorry Red, but I had to post these results. :o

Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up Low Voltage Restoration Feature

Had a call this morning from Bill S. One of his expensive Li-Po packs was not taking a charge so I went there with my Cellpro 4S in tow.

Battery pack (a three cell affair) voltage measured just under 9V. Plugged the Cellpro 4S onto the power supply and the pack into the Cellpro 4S. After a few seconds the display read: "LOW VOLTAGE RESTORE", FUEL CAP = 4%.

I then checked the individual cell voltage to see what was happening. Cell #1= 2.63V, cell #2= 3.06V, cell #3= 3.07V indicating the pack had been depleted to below its specified LVC. Checking his ESC I found it to have been incorrectly programmed for a two cell pack not three.

The Cellpro 4S continued on its "restoration" chore while I continued monitoring the cells on its LCD display. Interesting to see how this device was bringing the voltage of each cell up, they all reached the same voltage (3.78V) when the LCD read 47% for Fuel Capacity.

The pack was charged all the way up to 100% in a bit over 1 hour. Individual cell voltages were (EDIT) 4.19V for cell #1, 4.2V for cell #2 and 4.2V for cell #3 at the end of the cycle.

Needless to say, my friend called FMA Direct and ordered a Cellpro 4S charger and the TP/PQ charging adapter to cover all his Li-Po charging bases. While on the phone, he also took advantage of FMA Direct's Cellpro line of Li-Po battery pack sale and ordered a few of them as well.

He is a happy camper since he bought a foolproof, easy to use charger for a fraction of what his previous one cost him. He got a load of superb Li-Po battery packs at a superb price as well. What did I get from this? I got a chance to test another one of my Cellpro 4S charger's priceless features, the one that will bring an otherwise surely dead pack back to life! Love it when all ends well.

Last edited by qban_flyer; 05-16-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Misplaced finger on keyboard

Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Batteries/Chargers

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Had a call this morning from Bill S. One of his expensive Li-Po packs was not taking a charge so I went there with my Cellpro 4S in tow.

The pack was charged all the way up to 100% in a bit over 1 hour. Individual cell voltages were 3.19V for cell #1, 4.2V for cell #2 and 4.2V for cell #3 at the end of the cycle.
Didn't you mean 4.19 above? 3.19 vs 4.2 isn't exactly balanced.

Quick Reply: FMA Cellpro - fantastic job

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11636 seconds with 24 queries