Best slow-flying wing? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Best slow-flying wing?

Old 10-18-2006, 03:43 PM
mcoulter

Question Best slow-flying wing?

What do you fine folks consider the best slow-flying wing out there?

I'm a relatively new flyer on my 2nd/3rd plane; my real 2nd plane was a 3-D foamy and an awful mistake! I'm seeing these wings as a fun and DURABLE looking option.

I realize that the larger wings will probably fly slower (as well as be more visible in the sky) but I would still like to fit it in my Honda!

Im also looking to use as much of my existing equipment as possible to keep my costs down. I would like to re-use my brushed (25A) ESC and my Futaba micro RX and servos. It seems like there are some really good options for me (Zagi, Combat Wing, etc.) but Im not sure which would be the most fun to fly slow Ill worry about the speed later!

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
sobamaflyer
Blade Defender

I posted my recent new wing a few threads below. I don't have any experience with manufactured wings as yet but I can say my 32" bluecor creation floats around about as well as my Slowstick.

If you are comfortable with ailerons you should be fine and really enjoy one of these little birds. I'm not anywhere close to an experienced pilot with only a little more than a year of self-taught crashing skills and I've found the wing to be incredible the last couple weeks.

Best part is with mine you could make 50 different wings from $15 worth of foam reusing your electronics each time you finally crunch it enough to make it not fly well (takes a LOT of work to do that).
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM
rca

I just ordered a Slofly bipe wing from Steve. I don't have it yet, but it is supposed to be very forgiving and able to fly slowly. It's made of a sheet of EPP so it should be very crash resistant as well.

Right now Steve has the bipe wing available for $14.95. I plan on making 2 regular wings out of it, so that's a real deal. It should be about a 30" wingspan.

http://slofly.com/cart/index.php?cPath=0_203_226

Ron
Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

The F27C is a great little slow flyer and fast flyer and durable.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 AM
mcoulter

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer View Post
I posted my recent new wing a few threads below.
I looked up your other thread - pretty cool :-)

Do you have any specific plans (or modifications of plans "from the other forum") that you can refer me to?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:21 AM
mcoulter

Originally Posted by debhicks View Post
The F27C is a great little slow flyer and fast flyer and durable.
Are you talking about the ParkZone Stryker? I guessed folks only flew that one FAST! I guess I never had that plane on my radar as a slow flyer... Looks like I can get the "airframe" alone. I certainly don't need the RTF

Interesting!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 AM
mcoulter

Originally Posted by rca View Post
I just ordered a Slofly bipe wing from Steve. I don't have it yet, but it is supposed to be very forgiving and able to fly slowly.
Wow, looking at the video http://slofly.com/videos/flyingwing/...ly_30in_fw.wmv that's exactly what I'm looking to do! Please let me (us in this thread) know how it comes out and what you put into it!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 AM
jcblough

Originally Posted by mcoulter View Post
Are you talking about the ParkZone Stryker? I guessed folks only flew that one FAST! I guess I never had that plane on my radar as a slow flyer... Looks like I can get the "airframe" alone. I certainly don't need the RTF

Interesting!
Most people do fly it fast but it can fly slow pretty well.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:23 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by jcblough View Post
Most people do fly it fast but it can fly slow pretty well.

You can float a stryker pretty easy, but the plane still is about 22 oz.

If you want to float, just make it as light as you can.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
mikeflyzz
Support our troops

Hi. I am also skilled at crashes. I have gone through five planes, and then I bought a Superfly. (SuperFlyRC.com). It is a true soccer field superstar! Fast, slow, easy to fly, and very durable . You may have to go brushless, but call Dave at SuperFly. He is great and may have advice for your brushed system. You can order just the airfoil (which is extremely easy to build), and switch over your electronics to it. If I can fly it, it's gotta be easy! Take care. Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

A Stryker can definately fly slow. There are times that I take it up high and do maximum speed dives and such, other times I slow it down to a float to land it in right on a particular spot. As with any plane, you just have to learn how to work it. The most fun and easily flyable are the ones that do both. The extra power can really save the day in powering out of mistakes.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

I took my strykerC up about a week ago and took it up really high. Then i powered it off and let my plane coast for a really long time.

With the stryker B and a lipo 2100mah i was able to get a 19 minute flight doing this. With the strykerC i don't think i would want to find out how long you could really keep this bird in the air.

I just coasted around and every so often i would power up and climb, then coast around again. At time when i was catching the wind just right it looked as if my stryker was still in the sky. I was doing circle patterns when a hawk who was flying even higher (probally somewhere around 400-500 feet) came over and started following my stryker (which didn't make any noise with the brushless not spinning) I moved away from him and he followed me, i turned back and it looked as if he dived at my plane and right before he got to it you could see his wings open up fully and slowing him down. I must have been about 300 feet in the air when this happened. I don't know if he touched my plane but i would be willing to bet if my stryker could have flicked a booger it would have landed on that hawk.

After a few more turns he sailed away and i brought my plane down for inspection. Nothing, he must have got a close look but i thought hawks have amazing eyesight i wonder why he did that.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That is cool Hawk!I bet he would have crapped all over his tail feathers if you would have powered it up while he was that close!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
wingman

I looked up your other thread - pretty cool :-)

Do you have any specific plans (or modifications of plans "from the other forum") that you can refer me to?

Thanks!

I have built a couple of the 32"fff wings like Sobamaflyer, and I agree with him, it's agreat little wing. The original link is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=plans

and the next time it came up is here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497083

Let's keep the interest up here too though. Fresh faces and ideas improve the design all the time.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Moonwalker

My duration record so far with the F-27C is 28 minutes. Means I was averaging about 4 or 5 amps for the flight at 50 watts or so.

I was at a single soccor field and just spent my time going up several hundred feet and gliding back down and then going SO SLOW doing a few laps around the field and then climbing back up again. With a little experience, it is truely amazing how slow the Stryker can fly - I would estimate about 10mph with no wind. It is really cool to fly slow with power off as the birds come to fly with you.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Up&Away
The Original Flying Pig

As I am totally unbiased (NOT), I'd like to recommend the Unicorn.

I started out on this 48" EPP wing with a standard speed400 setup. She flies great, is very forgiving, thermals, slope soars, and on the brushed setup can do mild airobatics. Made from EPP, so nearly indistructable. Believe me, I tried! Once you're comfortable flying the brushed setup, upgrade to a brushless motor and still you have the same qualities, but with added high speed/aerobatics ability.

I flew my 48" 'Corn for two years untill her untimely demise due to ESC/Rx failure. I now have a 42" 'Corn, and she comes with me wherever I fly.

Best allrounder on the market IMHO.

Have a look at the Unicorn pages on my website: www.geocities.com/rene_wallage
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
rca

Wow, looking at the video http://slofly.com/videos/flyingwing/...ly_30in_fw.wmv that's exactly what I'm looking to do! Please let me (us in this thread) know how it comes out and what you put into it!
Quick update for you. I built the wing a couple of weeks ago and have probably flown it 20 times since then. It is a great slow flying wing, very forgiving. It's made of all EPP so it is very durable - especially at the slow speeds I'm flying - it just bounces off the ground.

I built it with the following gear:
  • GoBrushless GBv kit wound 14t of 24g
  • GWS 7035 prop
  • CommonsenseRC 500 MAh battery
  • GWS receiver
  • 2 GWS pico servos
I cannot remember the AUW at the moment, but I tend to build a little heavy. Really, I feel like it could use a little more weight in the front to get the CG a little farther forward, but I have been having so much fun with it I haven't taken the time to add weight. I'm thinking the 800 MAh battery that CommonsenseRC sells might be perfect (if they were in stock).

I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight and post.

Ron

Wing can be found as a bipe wing for sale at slofly.com.

Last edited by rca; 11-29-2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add url for wing
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM
munen123

Default so slow u wont believe it!

My vote is for my carbon falcon. Flys about as fast as u can walk, really slow, not much performance; but graceful, very, very quite too!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:02 PM
marjamar
"SpeedWing Test Cruncher"

Default Mini SpeedWing EX

We made the Mini SpeedWing EX specifically to fly slow in tight spaces. It actually will fly at a fast walk and up to about 25 MPH with at or near (depends on altitude) full vertical using the brushless setup version. AUW is only 3.7 oz, battery included.

Comes only in RTF and ARF versions and is a total blast to fly as it doesn't tip stall even with near 60 degree elevon deflection!

Take a look at our videos at http://www.speedwing.net

-Rodger
Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 AM
mcoulter

Exclamation

Once again, great suggestions! It's getting to be ski season here in the N. East and honestly I'll probably continue to ponder my choices while switching into ski-mode... :-)
Winter has deserted us here in CNY. I just ordered a superflea...

Last edited by mcoulter; 01-08-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:19 AM
ericthetree

get some FFF and build one of these. I used balsa aileron strips as LE stiffeners which also give it a similar effect as the kline-fogelman airfoil, first pic is of underside of wing. 48" span wt approx 4 1/2 oz with no gear
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	couple more wattflyers 130.jpg
Views:	1277
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	20690   Click image for larger version

Name:	couple more wattflyers 132.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	20691  
Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 PM
mcoulter

Smile Ok here's what I ended up with

Wouldn't you know it I've finished the plane and winter has returned!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Lunar Lodge

Wild Wing is my favorite. Scooped an airfoil underneath and extended the verticals all the way through. Fold-out prop and it cruises on a breeze.

19 bucks a pop at hobbypeople right now.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 AM
Hasdrubal
White Belt

Hi everyone, new member and fairly new flyer, I have found a lot of good info on this forum, its a good place.

I just bought one of those Wild Wings that LunarLodge mentioned today, couldnt pass up that deal. I have some questions about it, as I am looking to reuse my old equipment. I have the proper servos, reciever, ESC, and radio, but i need a new motor and (maybe) a new battery/charger. Should i get a 400 speed like it recommends, or would i do well to upgrade? I cant spend a lot of money, and i know 400 motors are pretty cheap, but if a much better motor is only 10 bucks more ill do that. "

depending on the motor, would i still be able to use my 8.4V 600 mAH 7 pack? Im still pretty new to all this, but it seems like that would only give a short flight time. I used it for a 370 motor on a Decathalon(which was heavier), and it performed pretty well.

I appreciate all the help given out on this forum, and I cant wait to get my first D-wing in the air!

Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 PM
cainebean

Default Zagnutz

Why not build a FFF zagnutz. With the money you spend on the FFF, you'll be able to build at least 8 or 9 of these. You can use a speed 400 or step up to a brushless system.

Here is a link...

http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html

Quick Reply: Best slow-flying wing?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15896 seconds with 12 queries