Blade Cx, Just doesn't do anything right??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Blade Cx, Just doesn't do anything right???

Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 PM
cdnmoose

Default Blade Cx, Just doesn't do anything right???

Hi, Just got a Blade CX Yesterday, Already on my 3rd set of blades, I replaced the upper rotor head and Shaft with the aluminum one.. Ok now here is my problem..

I can't get the Blade to stop going backwards, I've adjusted all the trim, and it seems to have no effect on going backwards, it still continues to go backwards, I can correct the motion with the elevator But the Trim has Zero Effect.

When the motors are Disconnected, Everything appears to move correctly, atleast as the manual states. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm about ready to take this thing back to the hobby store, Its really frustrating, I'm not new to R/C as i race Nitro Buggies, so i know things about Servo's and radios.. But this So far is a real Turn off for R/C Aircraft..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really lost.

Thanks

Richard
Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 PM
nogassershere
DONE AND DONE

cdnmoose
your in luck I to have one of these wonderful little indoor birds and you can fix it it si really easy. frist look at the heli from the tail the left connecting rod( the rods that connect the scwash plate the the serveos) is foward and backward. the right one is for left and right. so Center your trim tabs. turn on the TX plug in your batt to the heli move the left connecting rod up (turnthe connecterout so the rod get a little longer only do 1/2 truns at a time trust me it will fly with out wanting to go backwards. when it hovers with out any trim do the same with the right connector> Just like on the R/C cars when you frist built it you had to tweak it thats all your doing the the BCX. hpoe this helps...

Fly and be free.

"If i had a billion everyone would FLY."

Last edited by nogassershere; 11-05-2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 11-07-2006, 03:43 AM
cdnmoose

I looked into what you mentioned.. For some reason now i can't get it to lift off the ground.. At full throttle it spins slowly... UGH! I'm taking it to my local hobby store for them to Figure Out.. I spent all of Sunday trying to devise what the problem was and got no where.. Infact I'm about ready to Smash it into little pieces And cut my losses. I'm not a happy camper so far...

I'll be ok!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:38 AM
nogassershere
DONE AND DONE

don't smash it you can get it to fly remember you get out what you put in take it to your LHS they will help you (I hope mine will but thats here in CA,) It's a fun bird can't get it to lift huu. puzzling the speed of the blades are controled by the mixer not the scwash plate huu. I'll do some more research and get back with you .no lift huu?

ok I reread what the info I gave you earlier and I guess I should have mentioned the throtle trim should be all the way down don't center that one try that and see if it works if you center the throtle it will only give you half throtle center all of them but the throtleand it will fly. Just tried it with mine and could not get lift with the throtle centered sorry about that.

Last edited by nogassershere; 11-07-2006 at 05:51 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-10-2006, 04:52 AM
cdnmoose

Originally Posted by nogassershere View Post
don't smash it you can get it to fly remember you get out what you put in take it to your LHS they will help you (I hope mine will but thats here in CA,) It's a fun bird can't get it to lift huu. puzzling the speed of the blades are controled by the mixer not the scwash plate huu. I'll do some more research and get back with you .no lift huu?

ok I reread what the info I gave you earlier and I guess I should have mentioned the throtle trim should be all the way down don't center that one try that and see if it works if you center the throtle it will only give you half throtle center all of them but the throtleand it will fly. Just tried it with mine and could not get lift with the throtle centered sorry about that.

I took it to my local store The guy who is fixing it has a CP pro, he tells me that something is bent I do believe its the outer shaft, They also belive that the motors are not putting out enough power.. They tested the battery and its all good. I'm going tomorrow to see what they are going to do for me as i haven't owned it for 7 days yet.

Still very dissapointed. oh well.

Thanks though.. will let you know what was wrong with it, if i ever get it back..

Old 11-18-2006, 09:50 PM
kushal_22

Moose
Did they figure out what was wrong? If so what was it?

Regards
Mal
Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Brutal E

Bet it was the gear on the outer shaft. It gets out of shape I had a bugger of a time figuring out what was wrong. It was making contact on one side but not on the other. Thanks to whom suggested this in a topic it was the fix for my CX. It is back in the air again. I love that little heli.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM
jermo

I found that when I replaced my center shaft/head that the circular plate in the middle wasn't sitting flat. As a result my heli wanted to go all different directions. Adjusting the length of the control arms to get the disk flat gave me a starting place.
Then my proceedure was to:
1. Slowly spin up and note any movement/leans and try to trim out of it.
2. Spin down, disconnect the battery and adjust the control arms to get trim back towards center OR if the issue was extreme enough just to get it within Trim.
3. Rinse/Repeat steps 1 and 2 until everything is within trim.
4. Rinse/Repeat steps 1 and 2 in hover at 3 feet.

The only issue I experienced was massive tail drift due to faulty design in the reciever/gyro. I constantly have to re-calibrate it.

Also don't forget to do the step in the book where you check balance.

I've also noticed the body sometimes rubs against the control arms.. I'll be adding paper clips or something that can bolt on to hold the body off the arms.

Now as long as I compensate for tail drift I can hover tail in at 3-8 feet for most of the pack... I say 3-8 feet because anytime I touch a control the heli drops.. *shrug* quality is not what it could be.

Jer
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Brutal E

Jermo you got a heat sync on that heli? If not, sometimes it can help with tail drift. As for the losing altitude sounds like an issue with your 4in1. Could be missing teeth on one the gears or just a lopsided gear.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:24 AM
jermo

Based on internet searches the tail drift issue has been well documented since 2005. It's caused by heat generated by the motor control circuit causing the Gyro to drift. It's an engineering defect. I've sent the Heli back to HH to see if they can/will do anything with it. It's sometimes a curse to have an electronics background. I need to find something else to fly until I get my CX back OR just stay grounded. I'm getting a T-Rex XL HDE for Christmas but it will probably be March before I have it finished. By that time I'll end up starting completely over with RADD.

I'm still waiting to hear if the new BCX2 has the drift issues. From what I've read the motor control circuitry has been seperated from the Gyro so the issues should be greatly diminished. *shrug* we'll see...folks keep telling me how wonderful Horizon Hobbies is so I expect they will do whatever they can to help. I'll keep you guys posted.
jermo
Old 11-26-2006, 01:59 AM
joerobb

Same problem with my cx, just got it fixed, take shaft out you can straighten by hand. When setting set screws at bottom of shaft, they are milled flat on two sides if you don't get the set screw agains the flat area the upper blades will slip it will turn left an no lift. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM
jermo

I wish it was that simple. First battery after initial Gyro calibration I can fly pretty well with minor/trimable tail drift. After the 1st battery things just get exponentially worse. About half way through the 2nd battery I'm out of trim and holding rudder to maintain heading.
Jermo