Suggested plane for 11 yr old boy for xmas - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Suggested plane for 11 yr old boy for xmas

Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Mick M

I haven't read everything in this forum so what I am about to say might be a repeat. But I started out with a Freedom Firebird. Destroyed it in about 1.5 seconds. If you look at various reviews you will see that this airplane is NOT for beginers. I then got an Easy Star. I now can fly it but not without a few crashes. I have bent the nose, broken the nose completely off many times, broken the tail off many times, The front of the plane now looks like it is a twisted old lady's hand. But each time it broke I glued it back together, used toothpicks for additional strength and did what ever I had to do to keep it flying And today I can fly it without crashing. So the morale of the story, get an Easy Star fly it, fix it, and don't worry about it. I really don't think you can do anything to this plane that can't be fixed.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Jim12

Since the goal was a Christmas present you've probably made your choice. For others who wrestle with the same issue I've found this site a good source of info. There is a good review of things to consider when choosing a plane and the table of results was helpful although there are some newer models that are missing e.g. the Super Cub.

I started with the Easy Star and had none of the issues described above. I've been at this for a couple of years now and still bring the Easy with me to the field most days. I did a review of my experience with it. You can find it here.

I'll bet you both have great fun with your plane -- whatever you chose.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:18 AM
Stan-the-Man
Stan-the-Man

Originally Posted by Jim12 View Post
Since the goal was a Christmas present you've probably made your choice. For others who wrestle with the same issue I've found this site a good source of info. There is a good review of things to consider when choosing a plane and the table of results was helpful although there are some newer models that are missing e.g. the Super Cub.

I started with the Easy Star and had none of the issues described above. I've been at this for a couple of years now and still bring the Easy with me to the field most days. I did a review of my experience with it. You can find it here.

I'll bet you both have great fun with your plane -- whatever you chose.
Unknown to you, Jim, was an URL on the Plawner link that showed a Multiplex glider in tow outfit. I've been hoping for a couple of months to see if this existed. I realize I'm off topic, but thanks.

-- Stan