Lets talk fire arms. And by talk I mean educate me. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Lets talk fire arms. And by talk I mean educate me.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Default Lets talk fire arms. And by talk I mean educate me.

Shortly I will be acquiring my HSC (Handgun Safety Cert). I am interested in sport shooting at local ranges and all that jazz. I know nothing about what is quality, who makes the good stuff, etc etc.

What is a good and affordable target pistol? Cal.? Does not necessarily need to be an auto loader. I am guessing something along the lines of a .22 for target shooting? Again I have no idea about this stuff.

Also maybe Steve can chime in here with the cali laws as far as what is aloud concerning hand guns. I will be asking you a junkload of questions anyways

Oh yea, lets keep politics out of this. I am interested in the sport of shooting not your liberal brain
Old 08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
NUTS
P.I.B.

Go to the Ruger web site. They have some nice 22 cal. target pistols. The Walther P22 line is nice too but a bit higher cost.

Nuts
Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Marc,

1st lesson: point the hole on the end of the gun at the target.

I can second NUTS' recommendation of Ruger. I have a Ruger .22 target pistol, and while I have not fired my guns in quite a while, it was always a good, reliable and accurate firearm.

Also,
if you start to get serious in target shooting, consider learning how to reload your own ammo. It can save you money, and you can fine-tune the amount of powder to the type of shooting you are doing.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Hey thanks,

I actually have a walther bb gun LOL. The P22 is nice, similar price to the ruger 22 charger. But the charger is not available in CA for some reason? Maybe someone can shed some light as to why it is not...

The other rugers are nice also, what is a "bull" barrel?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Marc,

Here is the current version of the pistol I was talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_III

Mine is a MK II. It is great, and rumored to have been used by some "spies" (with the addition of a silencer) in their "craft".
Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 PM
NUTS
P.I.B.

A Bull Barrel is heavier with a nice crown in the end. It makes the gun more accurate. I have a bull barrel on a Ruger 10/22 rifle along with a thumb hole stock. It has greatly improved it's range and accuracy out past 100 yard.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NUTS View Post
A Bull Barrel is heavier with a nice crown in the end. It makes the gun more accurate. I have a bull barrel on a Ruger 10/22 rifle along with a thumb hole stock. It has greatly improved it's range and accuracy out past 100 yard.
NUTS,

That's a nice rifle; I had one when I was in high school, minus the bull barrel.

The bull barrel just puts more mass versus a "lugar"-looking pistol, and more mass means more resistance to kicking, making it more accurate (simple-man's explanation since I am a simple man).
Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Thanks for the link Kev and NUTS for the info on the barrel.

So this is what you are talking about then?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10107&return=Y

That is $316 on the site, I have not checked with my local shop yet (was thinking Turners if you are familiar, please advise if bad idea).

Now there is also this one which looks very similar with what looks like a scope rack and is an extra $200, what is the reason? I know that little rack didnt cost that much . I notice the grip is different also.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10101&return=Y
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Here are examples of the same pistol w/out a bull barrel:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...es&type=Pistol

And if you wanna REALLY go whole-hog, here is the competition model:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10112&return=Y

Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Well.... Not really sure. I dont know what is best. I dont like the buy twice but at the same time dont want to spend unnecessary funds. I am under the impression rounds dont come by cheap these days....
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Man I want this thing though, I wonder why not available in CA?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Charger/

I think I am reading because the mag is outside the pistol? I am lost.....lol It sure does look like it goes INSIDE?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

You might want to register at USA Patriots forum and talk to Rod (the guy who runs it). He lives there in Cali and is into guns and RC. I'm sure he could help with a lot of your questions regarding the laws in Cali and places to shop and so forth.

http://www.usapatriotsamerica.com/forum/index.php
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Pudknocker71
Breaking wind.

Outside of Rugrr I as having a hard time thinking of many options for 22s. Here is a page form Smith & Wesson for you...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15708

I have an old High Standard 22 for plinking. I have a 10/22 Rugar rifle too. I need to find some where to go shoot a little. Been a long time for me.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Thanks for the link James.

Pudknocker,

Doesnt necessarily need to be a 22, but the LR round seems to be good for target and I assume are cheaper than the next step up (whatever that is)?

I would like low recoil though, going through phys therapy on my left elbow and I am left handed.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

California considers it an Assault weapon under their assault weapons ban definition. according to California, any pistol with a magazine outside of the pistol grip is an assault weapon. the Ruger would also need the loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect to be sold in CA (if it wasn’t allready banned because it is an assault weapon according to California).
CA is LAME. Pretty though...
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Just a note pistols are extremely hard to shoot lol, i was shooting a Target Range Revolver .22 pistol at 50ft away at one of them swinging targets, yeah i could not hit it for crap, i think outa 20tries i hit it once(course it was my first time firing it) but still i did much better with an open sighted .22 rifle at 50yds away. same target.

so yeah dont go walkin in thinkin you'll be shootin like they do in the movies lol
Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

You underestimate the force youngling

It is in my blood.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

It really depends on the caliber you are looking at for target practice.

9MM Luger is popular, as well as .40 S&W. .45 ACP is a little much to start out with, but if you have someone who could introduce you to the calibers and how they differ (at the paid range, perhaps) you can get a feel for what you wanna shoot.

I like Glock myself.

As far as rifles go, Marlin makes a nice bull-barrel .17, which is like shooting a nail gun at 100 yards. Available at the Walmarts that still carry guns, as a matter of fact. Someone else mentioned the 10/22 -- also a great gun and very well made. Rotary clip is a nice feature. They have them in stainless and boy are they sharp.

If you want something beefier, look into the .223. I have a mini-14 which I love. .243, .270, .308 its all a matter of where and what you will be shooting at, though I've been told by someone I trust that anything larger than a .270 in the lower 48-as far as hunting goes-is an attempt at compensating for some other personal deficiency.

Short Mags, 7-mags, you can take down a billy goat from another mountain range lol
Old 08-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I have a old 22LR Rememington bolt action heavy barrel target shooter I was lucky enough to pick up for $600 some years ago. Its worth now is over $2500 and I still shoot from time to time at the local gun range. Believe it or not the photo below shows a target hit 5 times by it at 100 yards.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Target1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	76590

I tried 14 different kinds of LR ammo before stumbling upon the magic combo that worked best in this rifle. Its not what I expected to even be in the running but the plain subsonic lead nose wax coated bullet out performed them all. In fact this bullet was so slow you could follow it to the target in the 24 power scope and watch it fall 6" at impact.

I guess what I'm saying is try a few different brands and see what works best in your choice of firearms. 22LR I have to buy off the shelf but everything else is hand loaded with my trusty Dillon press. I'm not a hunter but love to target shoot when I get the chance with my heavy barrel 22LR, 22 Magnum, 223., 22-250. and 308.

Kosh
Old 08-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

I like nice 1911 .45 more than anything.

I used to have a Ruger .22 slabside bullbarrell w/scope and fancy grip....that is a very accurate target pistol...Ruger makes a lot of different pistol models with varying degrees of accuracy.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Mark, If you want the Best of the Best, in a 22 here you go.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=85247

Browning Buck Mark Pistol - Bullseye Target Stainless
Stock # [BRN051426490]

Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

its not cheap 2nd choice, i would go with a Ruger

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_MarkIII-Hunter.htm

Ruger Mark III Hunter .22 Pistol

<!--mstheme-->
<!--mstheme--><!--mstheme-->
Old 08-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

A Competition grade Ruger .22 will run you about the same amount of "Fun Tickets" (Money).
Old 08-28-2008, 03:41 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle, I love that rifle, with a 4x scope, shooting CCI stinger 22 long rifle hollow point bullets, it will gut the rabbit for you I love RABBIT Cacciatore

Last edited by CHELLIE; 08-28-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:42 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

I wonder if I shoot a gun named Mark it will help me out cause we have the same name?

We REALLY need some fun laughing smilies!

= boring
= awesome!

Quick Reply: Lets talk fire arms. And by talk I mean educate me.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09793 seconds with 13 queries