Is a slow stick for a newbie? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Is a slow stick for a newbie?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Default Is a slow stick for a newbie?

I have a huge question. In reading online the manual for the SLo-V it says that this model is not for beginners. I know that many peoplle have suggested the slow stick for a brand-new noob. These two a/c are the same pretty much the same except the tail. What makes the SS for a noob and the the slo-V not?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:31 PM
bsoder

if it were me I'd seriously consider getting a DX6 + slowstick kit instead of the slo-v. I think they're about the same as far as flying... never personally flown a slo-v but I've watched guys brand new to flight fly one, seems about the same as a slowstick.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
gdhampton

I would like to offer a third option: That being the Megatech (correction - should read Multiplex) EasyStar. It will withstand more crashes than a Stick, as it is made of foam. It is bigger, to handle the wind better and make it easier to see at a distance. It also uses a pusher prop.

I own a Slow Stick and love it. But, it is fragile and light. An experienced flyer can have a blast in the wind with one, but not the beginner.

I agree with the radio choice, The Spektrum DX is a nice setup.

Last edited by gdhampton; 05-11-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
t. edwards

I'm partial to the Slow Stick. I think it and the Slo-V have similar flight characteristics, but the Slow Stick gets my vote becuse I think it's easier to repair (and modify). Tom
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t. edwards View Post
I'm partial to the Slow Stick. I think it and the Slo-V have similar flight characteristics, but the Slow Stick gets my vote becuse I think it's easier to repair (and modify). Tom
It's cheaper too!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

BTW:

There is a guy almost giving away one of these and another model for $60, shipping included.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...9686#post69686

Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by gdhampton View Post
Megatech EasyStar.
Methinks you mean Multiplex. Megatrash it is not.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

That's what the box on my EasyStar said, MULTIPLEX, but since Megatrash has their hands everywhere I kept me mouth shut just in case!:o

Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
gdhampton

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Methinks you mean Multiplex. Megatrash it is not.

My Bad! Megatech makes the Horse fly helicopter, etc. Sorry for mixing up the names. It should be Multiplex. Sorry!!!!! :o
Old 05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Thanks QBan, PM sent!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

OK, The slo-v is a V tail. That means you'll need a mixer, either in the radio or mechanical. It is harder to setup than a standard tail. In addition, a V tail just doesn't reach the same as a standard tail. I've found the V tail likes to wander back and forth, and just doesn't feel as "solid" as the standard tail.
Just me two cents.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
almsy
Bit By The Bug

Starmoon, I selected the slowstick for my first plane and bought a Spektrum radio to get into this hobby with. I checked out all the recommended planes and did much reading and thought before moving ahead, that's just the way I am. I'm still real new at it. Do I have any regrets? No, none at all. The SS I feel is a nice plane to learn on. I haven't crashed it do to me dumb thumbing it yet, but I have tested it's durability during landings (bouncing off a bush, and also my fishing boat another time) and it will take a beating. During my maiden flight a month ago at the local school's parking lot, the middle light pole of three did grab the plane from about 30 feet up and it came straight down breaking the motor frame and putting a hole in the right wing. A hose clamp now holds the motor on and a little glue and tape fixed the wing and it flies great. I do have much sim time with G3 and I know that has helped, but I still get nervous as you know what when I fly, but it's getting easier. I'm now thinking of adding an EasyStar to start building a collection of planes to fly. I still have 2 unused servos from the radio purchase, and it was one of the planes I was considering going with, but the SS was cheaper to start with. I had thought of the Slo V too, but am happy with what I have.
Oh, by the way, I thought I had the light pole cleared .... I find flying the real thing compared to the sim, it's hard to judge the distance it is and other objects, and fly now in an empty farm field behind my house and hand launch the SS which is very easy to do. I just hope the farmer puts in beans this year and not corn again. I am trying to avoid any area with trees and light poles until I am more comfortable with all this.
Good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:54 PM
qban_flyer

Question

Originally Posted by Starmoon View Post
Thanks QBan, PM sent!
Never got a PM.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Starmoon
Soon to be Slo-V owner!

Sent to the seller, Qban!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:39 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Now I get it!

Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 PM
tiredboot

The slo v is the best and the worst of trainer planes.
The worst because of the wind grounding you (litteraly)most of the time with the stock set-up.
The best because you would have blown only $130 of disposable income(& plane)if you d'ont like the hobby and quit.
The best because if you want to make it fly right(and you to fly it right)you are going to have to learn a bunch of stuff that will make your head ache so bad that you'll be proud later.
Another noob.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tiredboot View Post
The worst because of the wind grounding you (litteraly)most of the time with the stock set-up.
The best because you would have blown only $130 of disposable income(& plane)if you d'ont like the hobby and quit.
The best because if you want to make it fly right(and you to fly it right)you are going to have to learn a bunch of stuff that will make your head ache so bad that you'll be proud later.
Another noob.
That it is, agreed 100% with all of the above. Especially the highlighted sentence.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Default I'm hoping this is a joke and I missed it.

Another noob.

Not to stop an arguement, but I really don't believe this is a good idea. A newbie should have an easy time of learning and "not have too much thrown at him at one time".
No one should have to learn "over stressed" when learning something new, and R/C is no different.
Sorry, either this is joke, or just a plain bad idea.
There's nothing to be proud about by making something harder to learn than it needs to be. There'll be plenty of time to "crack the books", once you get those blissful first time landings done..........
Pete
Old 05-12-2006, 05:09 PM
gdhampton

The best advice, "Try to find a local experienced electric flyer to help."

It is really hard to get all the answers you need when you don't even know the questions to ask. Just building a simple Slow Stick, or something similiar, can be a daunting task if you have no experience with RC airplanes.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

It is really hard to get all the answers you need when you don't even know the questions to ask. Just building a simple Slow Stick, or something similiar, can be a daunting task if you have no experience with RC airplanes.
In my 50 years of AMA I've seen many a newbie "almost" quit the hobby from lack of help. Funny, things have come "so far" since the "boom" around the mid 70's, yet the "helping hands" have almost vanished from site.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:27 PM
gdhampton

Originally Posted by Doc Pete View Post
In my 50 years of AMA I've seen many a newbie "almost" quit the hobby from lack of help. Funny, things have come "so far" since the "boom" around the mid 70's, yet the "helping hands" have almost vanished from site.
You are right, and it is a shame.

I started in the 70's, and would not have made it without lots of help. Even then, I quit for a long time after too many crashes with expensive built-up planes.

Now that ARFs are here to stay, all of us need to help people get through the brutal "Learning stages".

Thanks "Doc" for doing your part!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Great advice!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

You are right, and it is a shame.
Thanks "Doc" for doing your part!
Ya know, I'm really selfish:p . There's not a better feeling than having a student say thanks for helping him nail those dead stick landings.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 PM
tiredboot

No Doc this is not a joke.
I joined the AMA and the local club where nobody knows diddly about E planes.
So it is thanks to these fora and FMS that I didn't quit and got interested.
In the long run I believe that having been sold factory issued mediocrity RTF planes and lack of tutorial will make me a better builder/flyer.
To all newcomers: the learning curve is steep but it's worth it. Take it easy, but take it.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:51 PM
qban_flyer

Red face

No Doc this is not a joke.
I joined the AMA and the local club where nobody knows diddly about E planes.
So it is thanks to these fora and FMS that I didn't quit and got interested.
In the long run I believe that having been sold factory issued mediocrity RTF planes and lack of tutorial will make me a better builder/flyer.
To all newcomers: the learning curve is steep but it's worth it. Take it easy, but take it.
Actually, that is the norm with about 60% of the RC clubs. Only a handfull of them are, or have E-Flight Literate personnel onboard!

Quick Reply: Is a slow stick for a newbie?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09879 seconds with 11 queries