Maidened My E-flite P-47D this morning. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Maidened My E-flite P-47D this morning.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Maidened My E-flite P-47D this morning.

What an incredible $79 dollar plane! It is every bit as good as everyone else has said it is. And the sick thing is that I think the landing in their video is one of the nicest I've seen. Mine was pretty much the same but with two wheels and a grass field.

Well, I tried to ROG in a parking lot adjacent to the field. The plane immediately turned left so I tried to rush the take-off and stalled into a gentle crash. It took the rear wheel of (which also came off when I first installed it and put the plane down on my living room floor). I glued it back in but the gear on the plane is virtually worthless. The wire is thin and the foam can't hold the mount. But I wanted to use it so I left it on.

I waited so long this Spring to get a good day that I wasn't going home unless it was broken too badly. Fortunately I just had to tweak the prop a little. So I went to pick up my radio and hand launch it but the neck strap clasp opened and dumped my radio on the pavement. This has happened in my house too so a locking carabiner is going on that damn thing.

It was 5:45AM so I guess this was about what I should have expected. But I still wanted to fly. So I moved to the center of the field and spooled up the Park 450 and tossed it. It almost left my hand without throwing it.

This plane is so well balanced and well behaved that I was thinking about when I could get a second one to my house while I was still trimming it out. I must say that this is only my second flight on that motor and lipo set-up. All else is on a Parkzone Cub and P51. My other brushless lipo flight was a Cessna maiden that didn't go so well. But I learned a lot on that flight and from flying my mustang. So I felt ready to test those theories on the P-47D.

What I learned was that low rates are not low at all. If my high rates are accurate on the plane, than my low rates are like 50% aileron and elevator, and maybe 65% rudder. My Cessna was like a bat chasing bugs. This P-47D is like the Cadillac of war birds. I only went so low because the low rates on the PZ Mustang are close to imperceivable (actually probably less than a 1/4").

I had plenty of throw to do a loop at just over half throttle (my first!), and an aileron roll. The roll took a lot longer than I was comfortable with though.

Well, I could ramble some more but I won't. I will say though that the greatest thing about this plane versus my RTF's is that this one will fly exactly where you point it. I saw someone make fun of another post like that someplace in these forums. But that is what it was like. It wasn't twitchy and it didn't move unless you moved it.

I have an image of one low carving pass I made from left to right in front of me, burned in my mind. I dropped in from about 60 feet and carved an nice gentle glide at about 5 feet, right past me. It struck me how stable the plane was because my eyes locked on the number 17 and the blue and white star on the side of the fuselage as it went past! Oh, one other thing. In spite of how much faster this plane felt than the mustang (probably only much faster at full throttle), I felt very comfortable flying it in the confines of a soccer field.

If you've been thinking about getting one of these, do it!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SMDSC_2630_2.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	11546  

Last edited by alienx; 05-14-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Sound like you have a winner there. Sure looks like one on that photo! Have fun.

PS: I love the E-Flite Park motors, all of them!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Sound like you have a winner there. Sure looks like one on that photo! Have fun.

PS: I love the E-Flite Park motors, all of them!
Thanks!

That motor is the first one recommended to me by a guy at Red Rocket Hobbies, where I bought my Cessna. I have nothing to compare it to, but I have to believe it is a very nice piece of gear. And it is intoxicating to listen to as the plane goes past you!!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

YUP!

I love the BZZZZZ they make when they fly by. Just prop noise.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:18 PM
redgiki

So you opted for no rudder mod? I don't see the telltale white line

Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. I'm not sure, if I were to do it again, if I would do the rudder agan. Keeping this bird light seems to help.

And even though mine's a bit heavier than stock now (25oz AUW), it still flies very well, and does nicely in the confines of a soccer field. If I leave the gear on, though, she always wants to flip over on her back right at the end of the rollout. Irritating, but I've only broken the rudder because of this one time. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
So you opted for no rudder mod? I don't see the telltale white line

Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. I'm not sure, if I were to do it again, if I would do the rudder agan. Keeping this bird light seems to help.

And even though mine's a bit heavier than stock now (25oz AUW), it still flies very well, and does nicely in the confines of a soccer field. If I leave the gear on, though, she always wants to flip over on her back right at the end of the rollout. Irritating, but I've only broken the rudder because of this one time. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.
Ah look closer! I took the time to paint the seam. Yellow and black squares in the rudder attachment seam. I hated that white line after seeing how beautiful the plane looked with its paint job.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
redgiki

What colors and paint brands did you use? It seems a really close match.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Congrats on your maiden, and your perserverance. I knew you'd have a blast with it. I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight. Anyway, glad you like your new Plane.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

What colors and paint brands did you use? It seems a really close match.
It's a Model Masters Acrylic called Blue Angels Yellow. Without the model with me it was as close as I could find from memory. You can see it is slightly different, but I was 2 feet away when I took this picture and I couldn't see the difference. It only shows up here because the flash was two feet away as well. I think a Cub yellow would be pretty good. Believe it or not, the black is Sharpie!! I was extremely happy with how it came out, and I did it with a Q-tip.

Name:	TailPaint.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	11557  

Last edited by alienx; 05-14-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:26 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Congrats on your maiden, and your perserverance. I knew you'd have a blast with it. I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight. Anyway, glad you like your new Plane.

Steve
Thank you very much!

I feel bad about yours. This is a delicate bird even if you don't try to hurt it. Redgiki has given me some useful protection ideas, so maybe he might be able to pitch in. I think one of the things he suggested was spackle. You may be able to thin it with some Q-cell (surfboard ding repair), or whatever the equivalent modelling stuff is. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
What an incredible $79 dollar plane!
Super nice pic Andy. Can't wait for you to bring it to the field.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Doc Pete
Pete O'Connor

Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.
Yup. Scale landing gear is always a pain. FWIW, Unless you are entering a funfly that requires "ground games", I've never used a steerable tailwheel. With the main gear so far back, and a fair amount of rudder throw, it's pretty hard making straight takeoffs. In fact, it causes many a ground loop.
Pete
Old 05-14-2006, 01:02 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Doc Pete View Post
Super nice pic Andy. Can't wait for you to bring it to the field.
Thanks! Looking forward to it. Incidentally, I took that shot in Edison Park the day I came down to check it out. It's over by the ball fields.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:07 AM
redgiki

Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight.
I did the same thing! My fix was to go ahead and stick the motor mount stick back in, then shove some epoxy + microballoons back in the hole to secure it. Use a protractor and make sure you have about 3 degrees right, and about the same down, figure out a way to hold the stick in position while the epoxy dries, and you're golden.

I didn't stress about the engine thrust angle much, because I could correct it easily with some spacers between the plastic motor mount and the motor. 3 down, 3 right, was actually a little too much down. I added a few pieces of paper (doesn't take much on a plane this size!) as spacers between the bottom-most screw and spacer, and the angle's great now across the power band: no climb or sink at varying throttle settings.

I think I don't have quite enough right-thrust, either: when I throttle up from half throttle, I have a tendency to yaw left a bit. So I'll do the same recipe to the appropriate screw there, too. No biggie; as long as you're in the ballpark, you can get it perfect through test flights.

More excuses to fly this nice-flying plane! Who needs more?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 AM
redgiki

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
I think one of the things he suggested was spackle....
While I'd use spackle on body and wing dings (heh, heh!), I would not use it on a stressor part like a motor mount. If the hole is too large, really the best bet is probably to create a plug for the hole and a real firewall to glue to the foam. If it's not a gaping hole, epoxy (as I mentioned a second ago) works fine to fill. You always have to add nose weight to this bird anyway, so I never stress about any weight ahead of the CG.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Congratulations Alien! Always good to hear about a good maiden. I'm hoping to get mine maidened in the morning. The wind has been pretty bad here the last few days but is supposed to be around 5 mph in the morning. I've added a few pics of my P-47 and some mods I did to it. I was always scratching up the cowl taking it on and off so I took some info from another thread here and added a clear plastic pull tab. I used some clear acetate, sliced a small slit in the cowl and slid it in. The acetate has a 90 degree bend and is held in with CA. I put some clear two sided tape between it and the cowl to hold it flat. It makes it much eacier to pull the cowl off without scratching it and barely shows.

As far as the battery, I again took the advise of several people on this fine forum and put a loop of velcro on it. I hot glued it to the bottom and top of the battery compartment. I don't think it will go any where.

I found some acrylic paint in the craft section at Wal-Mart for 44 cents a bottle. I used 20760 King's Gold for the yellow and 20504 black. The black needs a little clear coat so it's not quite so flat. But the yellow matched real close without any mixing.

Name:	DSC01921.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	11561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01919.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	11562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01918.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	11563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01916.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	11564   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01920.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	11565  

Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably fill in the hole and epoxy a piece of balsa for a firewall.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 01:45 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Very Nice. I wasn't sure what people were describing with the velcro strap. The picture helps.

I have to get to Walmart tomorrow to get some touch-up paints. I paid like $4 bucks or so at the "LHS" in Manhattan near my job. That guy is a criminal.

Good luck on the maiden. You will love it!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Default Firewall Repair/p47

Doppelganer- I have had similar problems with foamies in the past. I used tissue wadded in the hole that was then stiffened with foam safe C/A successfully in the past (lighter than you might think). But the best repairs I've made lately have been with Gorilla glue. Hang the 'fuse, dampen the hole and then fill about 1/3 with Gorilla. It foams up and fills the void, is very light and STRONG.
I maidened my P47 last week as well. I agree, what a great flying plane. Went on the cheap though, useing the supplied brushed motor and my Parkzone P-51 batterys for flying ( I've got a bunch). I wanted a low wing warbird for R/O/G and landing pratice, so I cut in rudder. I had to paint the white line too, and my yellow is WAY off, but two feet out you can't tell. Ditto on a tape handle, but I also suggest adding clear packing tape to the wingtips as well. Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
redgiki

Originally Posted by K CLOSE View Post
Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.
Yeah, it's even sawn through my fiberglassing job! I hate seeing white peeking through on my green wing...
Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

That's just sad. Maybe E-Flite should use green foam to mold it. I'm considering buying another one, shaving the fuse to make it a bubble top and glassing it. Do you think it could be made into a bubble top? Where would a guy find a canopy the right size?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey Alien,

I'm with you and already thinking about a second one and converting it to a bubble top. What motor is in yours?

Tom
Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 PM
redgiki

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
That's just sad.
Eh, that's just life in windy Tooele, UT. If I'm not landing in a nasty crosswind, I get worried. I figure that at some point I'll repaint over the white, and then probably use either multiple coats of the 1/2oz fiberglass I have or some 0.75oz fiberglass and maybe even epoxy this time rather than minwax to prevent the scuffing. It's still survived far, far more rough treatment than my unglassed first wing.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by K CLOSE View Post
Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.
Don't my planes know it. I use that hard plastic stuff RC car guys stick on the bottom of their car's chassis. I guess if it's good enough for them it has got to be fine for my planes wing tips and horizontal stab tips.

Have no clue as to what the stuff is called, though.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I can't stand to see my planes scratched up. I think I'm going to get my buddy to catch them when they come in for landing. I'll explain while I'm teaching him to fly that it's just part of the process. I'll just have to make sure I don't train him well enough to land so I don't have to catch his plane.

Quick Reply: Maidened My E-flite P-47D this morning.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10662 seconds with 20 queries