Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Miles M.38 Messenger 71.5" span

Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 AM
eye4wings

Default Miles M.38 Messenger 71.5" span

Hi all,
YouTube video of my 24W/lb. Messenger for you - in case you fancied some gentle viewing while putting off those repair jobs!?
Salient information is included in the short video but feel free to ask if you want more info.
I used an unusual construction technique for the wings in line with that used for the 1:1 and found it so successful that I have since used variations of it for ease of construction and lightness. Can post pics if anyone is interested.
Hope you enjoy it...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJYf4hWVSbg[/media]
Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Duke9

Hello, Your Messenger looks great. Can I ask you what plans you used? I am thinking about building a scale model of G-AKBO, a Messenger I restored in the eighties and flew for some 15 years. It won the King's Cup air race in 1954. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 PM
eye4wings

Hi Duke9,
The Messenger is my own design produced concurrently with the Gemini to the same scale. It is published by Traplet Publications and is available from their online shop. http://www.trapletshop.com/us/p/1336...8-messenger-2a

My primary aim in all my designs is to achieve as close to scale airspeed as possible so as to present a good all-round representation of the full-sized aircraft in flight and it is therefore built lightly. An all-up weight of 4 pounds achieves this nicely and makes the model power-efficient so that the electric motor is not working hard. The scale-sized wooden propeller runs very efficiently at the operating speed needed for realistic flight and the scale flaps give excellent short field performance.

The design was developed at the request of the then editor of RCMW to make use of a front screen already produced by someone else and this is also available for purchase.

Clearly, given the details you posted, you will know far more about the Messenger than I do, but if you decide to build to my design and have particular questions I will do my best to answer.

Thanks for your interest.
Best wishes,
Robin
Old 12-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Duke9

Hi Robin,
Thanks for your quick reply and helpful comments. The plans sound good and I think it will be just the right project to get involved in over the winter. Do you know if I could get the parts cut for your plans anywhere? I live in Mallorca, Spain with no model shops so all balsa, etc. will have to be purchased on line.
Best regards
Clive
(Merry Christmas as well!)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 PM
eye4wings

Hi Clive,

About 3 years ago Traplets declared their intention of providing all of their plans with parts kits - with the understanding that transferring them all to CAD so that laser cutters could do their stuff would take quite some time.
I see there is no kit of parts advertised with the plan, so I assume that they haven't yet got around to the Messenger and since my plan is now owned by them nobody else would be able to do it without their agreement... although if you were to get it done once having bought the plan they would hardly be in a position to argue - especially since they do not offer the kit at present.

I do not know if anyone has done that for their own use on the Messenger of course, but I do know that Charlie at Manzano Laser has done exactly that for someone else on a different plan. In order to do the job he must have scanned the parts in from my hand-drawn drawings and I can only suggest that this may be your best course of action.

The only problem with not being able to get a kit off the shelf is that half the winter will have gone before you get the parts and can start work.
There is another possibility and that is that I could start a construction thread on my own building of the prototype which you could follow and ask your questions on as we go - but I would prefer to do this on a different forum if you would be happy to join another.

Anyway first things first - I can (and do) get carried away with my enthusiasm! How would you prefer to proceed?

Happy Christmas!
Robin
Old 12-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Duke9

Hello Robin, thanks again for the info and sorry for disturbing your Christmas Eve! I would rather pay you for a copy of the plan than Traplets if you want or can do this? I will need this first to find out what size and quantity of material I will have to order. Thanks for the advice about the laser cutting but as you point out, I would like to get started in the NY. The offer of starting a construction thread is very kind of you and can I offer to pay you for this service? I would be happy to join another forum to do this. Have a great Christmas!
Best regards
Clive
Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM
eye4wings

Well, I hope you enjoyed your Christmas celebrations.
We were visiting our two girls for dinner, one on Christmas day and the other on Boxing day so had quite a relaxed time.
Back to normal (retired) life now and I have started the new thread here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post27006012
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 020.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	172586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Messen-20.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	172587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Messenger 014.jpg
Views:	104