Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Scratchbuilt Foamies

Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Billmanak

Octavios,

Love the guppy and your plans are a sight for sore eyes. It seems tough to find a foamy that flies more like a pattern ship than a whirling dervish. The video on your build site was great.

Now I just need to get the wife to sign off on more foam.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

Okay, this is really confusing me. Can somebody, anybody, PLEASE explain how it is that I've been "misbehaving?" Exactly what did I do wrong? I'm trying to contribute to this board and to this thread specifically so that RCG isn't the only R/C aircraft discussion site out there worth a hill of beans. Is this board going to be some kind of insiders-only clutch?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

SUG, if you re-read your initial criticism, you may understand why their response was not exactly warm...I wouldn't call it misbehaving, but I would have worded it differently myself.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Some Useless Geek View Post
Okay, this is really confusing me. Can somebody, anybody, PLEASE explain how it is that I've been "misbehaving?" Exactly what did I do wrong? I'm trying to contribute to this board and to this thread specifically so that RCG isn't the only R/C aircraft discussion site out there worth a hill of beans. Is this board going to be some kind of insiders-only clutch?
Chill Its a Joke Gee, LOL, Dont take this stuff so seriously

Last edited by CHELLIE; 07-19-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

Okay, chilling be I. Now, what about the construction techniques we've been hashing? Are there existing threads to discuss some of this stuff?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Okay, chilling be I. Now, what about the construction techniques we've been hashing? Are there existing threads to discuss some of this stuff?
here is some great info

http://users.colfax.com/dhart/prr/Ri...2003/Mar03.htm

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Myself, i am not to fond of tap hinges, but i use them from time to time, and yea, they are difficult to cut the slots and install nice and straight, but sometimes you just have to go that way, with foam, i like Tape hinges, the full length of the control surface on top and bottom, I have had great luck with that method, I use some scotch tape to hold them even, then i use clear packing tape for the hinge.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39692

tape hinges are very strong, the blue plane in the thread that I built for WF Member Ministeve, with a 4 cell lipo and a big motor, was faster than a 80+ MPH Stryker, and pissed off the Stryker owner so much, he never showed up to the flying field again

Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Some Useless Geek & Everyone thats Misbehaving

Thanks, Chellie
Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
SARG5
SARG5

ok Folks
I do not enjoy [spats]!!??::!!??
Here are a few words of wisdom. We all should live by

CONCEIVE it
BELIEVE it
and you will ACHIEVE it.

Keep flying
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

I'm pretty sure she was talking to all of us.

I'm just going to politely say one last thing on why I thought your original comment was a little offensive. You mentioning seeing this was enough to cause you to "act". That's pretty strong if you have to act on it. I took that as, "This design is so bad I can't just sit here and do nothing. I have to act to stop this awful type of design." This thread has been very friendly and I thought that was slightly odd. I understand DEG and my perception is biased and your comments were probably based on the tabbing and not the plane. In general I don't have a problem with you or your dislike of tabs. You're a fine person as far as I'm concerned.

My personal feeling on tabs: I think they're appropriate for beginners. This models goes together almost without glue. For lower-intermediate or above I would never suggest tabs. The intent of this design is directed at first-time builders. In fact I was hesitant to make it from two different thickness depron because it's for beginners. I've made several Guppies already for myself and none have tabs or any other type of self-alignment build into it. I have to use my triangles and ruler to get it straight.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

On a completely different note, now that I'm happy with my Guppy I'm going to convert it to more of a pattern type plane and lager to fit a Hacker A20-20L and 1750mha 3S battery. Maybe a few 3D type maneuvers. There are a few I like. I just don't like all the flopping around and hovering. Some ideas dancing in my mind:

- Lager elevator. Slightly larger ailerons. Rudder is already pretty huge.
- Laminated fuse. Maybe 4 layers 3/9/9/3mm. That will give me some internal space.
- 40" or larger span. Maybe 44" Suggestions for A20-20L welcome.
- Thicker KFm or airfoil wing.
- All internal wiring.
- Speed brakes.
- Separate flaps and ailerons.

Last edited by Octavius; 07-19-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Brner
AMA16634

Originally Posted by Billmanak View Post
Octavios,

Love the guppy and your plans are a sight for sore eyes. It seems tough to find a foamy that flies more like a pattern ship than a whirling dervish. The video on your build site was great.

Now I just need to get the wife to sign off on more foam.
Thanks for the comment Bill...nice to hear from people that appreciate the contributions....

Don
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

As a long-time builder of profile pusher jets, I'm used to cutting out all the tabs and notches. And if you think there's a bunch on the Guppy, you should see some of the pusher jets!

Here's my take on tabs and slots. I find them useful for two reasons:

1 - As stated above, they are helpful in making sure the parts are aligned nice and straight. This is especially true for the pusher jets that often have curved components such as intakes.

2 - On parts like the fuse, having tabs of foam sticking up and down through the main body tends to add some strength and rigidity to the airframe.

Personally, I do not mind tabs and slots.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Myself, i am not to fond of tap hinges, but i use them from time to time, and yea, they are difficult to cut the slots and install nice and straight, but sometimes you just have to go that way, with foam, i like Tape hinges, the full length of the control surface on top and bottom, I have had great luck with that method, I use some scotch tape to hold them even, then i use clear packing tape for the hinge.
On all of my 6mm builds, I have gone back to using just standard type hinges instead of tape. In the AZ heat, the tape tends to start letting go after a short period.

What I do is save some plastic packaging material. Stuff like clear plastic that that kids toys come wrapped in. I like it a little thick, but flexible. I cut the material into strips, and then cut my hinges to the desired length.

I then slot the 6mm foam with a sharp Xacto knife (easier to do than slotting balsa) and install the hinges using the same glue as I do on the foam. Works great!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

you guys should try this: http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_i...ent/lexel.aspx

for hinges. I've used it on a couple of foamies lately and once you get the technique of laying it down properly it results in a very flexible, paintable, strong hing.

My UFO above uses it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by DEG View Post
Thanks for the comment Bill...nice to hear from people that appreciate the contributions....

Don
Don you been making plans for me for the last going on 2 years...As far as I'm concerned the baddest and the best in the biz. Many claim to be it but your countless hours of plan making have made you the master...PERIOD.

The main reason I nic'd you Dynamite Don is because in short you are. Never on my mission has anyone ever said a bad thing about your work...So keep moving forward. The key thing to remember is you wont make everyone happy and the un happy ones where that way before they discovered your contribution to the RC world.

I look at RC forums like AA...If you can use the info do it, if you cant then dont.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Originally Posted by LipoPilot View Post
Don you been making plans for me for the last going on 2 years...As far as I'm concerned the baddest and the best in the biz. Many claim to be it but your countless hours of plan making have made you the master...PERIOD.

The main reason I nic'd you Dynamite Don is because in short you are. Never on my mission has anyone ever said a bad thing about your work...So keep moving forward. The key thing to remember is you wont make everyone happy and the un happy ones where that way before they discovered your contribution to the RC world.

I look at RC forums like AA...If you can use the info do it, if you cant then dont.
Agreed++

Hinges

I've been talking about this one for a while. I think it's pretty much the best idea I've come up with. Yeah I know somebody came up with it before me. Unfortunately it's very impracticable and in many case impossible.

Two sheets with the tape hinge the full length in between the sheets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01359.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	132178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01364.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	132179  
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
I'm pretty sure she was talking to all of us.

I'm just going to politely say one last thing on why I thought your original comment was a little offensive. You mentioning seeing this was enough to cause you to "act". That's pretty strong if you have to act on it. I took that as, "This design is so bad I can't just sit here and do nothing. I have to act to stop this awful type of design." This thread has been very friendly and I thought that was slightly odd. I understand DEG and my perception is biased and your comments were probably based on the tabbing and not the plane. In general I don't have a problem with you or your dislike of tabs. You're a fine person as far as I'm concerned.

My personal feeling on tabs: I think they're appropriate for beginners. This models goes together almost without glue. For lower-intermediate or above I would never suggest tabs. The intent of this design is directed at first-time builders. In fact I was hesitant to make it from two different thickness depron because it's for beginners. I've made several Guppies already for myself and none have tabs or any other type of self-alignment build into it. I have to use my triangles and ruler to get it straight.
Yes, you have been a bad Boy Too LOL Just kidding

Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

The question of the day is "How easy is it to use a xacto knife?"

As far as hinges..shoooooo this could go on for days but I like the KISS theory Alot...Keep It Simple Stupid...4.00 airframe tape hinges...Now every once in a great while on a bigger foamy I might get all anal and put in some 4.00 plastic hinges, just depends on the day of the week really or lets say how fast I want to fly.

Each person has there own way of doing things...And whatever works for you is the best way..hands down.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Yeah, I really dislike tape hinges too but I've reverted to using them on most foamies. On bigger foamies I've consider CA hinges.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

Depending on the strength i need i'll just use a stronger tape. such as packing tape of lite applications, strapping tape or duct tape for heavier apps.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

I really like tape hinges. My foamy usually dies before the hinge. Of course that is not saying much as my last foamy lasted all of one second lol...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well anyway, here is my new build.
A Bashed 51
Not my design but i liked it and i like Mustangs.

Maidened and Tweaked
Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

Hey, Crash? Can you build the same thing with some dihedral in the wings like the real thing? I know a lot of these plans call for straight wings because they use a CF rod or something to strengthen the wing. With the KFm2 step on top you need a lot less bracing.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey, Crash? Can you build the same thing with some dihedral in the wings like the real thing? I know a lot of these plans call for straight wings because they use a CF rod or something to strengthen the wing. With the KFm2 step on top you need a lot less bracing.
Look again
It has dihedral via the wing brace.
This is the first time i have put the steps on top, i usually put them on the bottom of the wing. I make the brace out of thin plywood attached to a length of cedar.

Quick Reply: Scratchbuilt Foamies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15072 seconds with 13 queries