New Foam ... ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

New Foam ... ?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 AM
diverdon

Default New Foam ... ?

Hello All , I hope someone can help me with this I found this foam at work being used for a packing materiel<sp? . To protect some merchandise from dings ... It's is softer than any other foam I have seen . It looks like if you could get some sheets of this it would make a great plane it is so soft and plyable it will be hard to break but is still stiff enough to make into parts ... I can't beleive people aren't using it already.. The "Cooler" type of foam we use now snaps easy when bent ... This doesn't ..

I don't know any better way to describe it so I am gonna try to post a picture .. If someone could Please tell me what kind this is in it would be really Great ... Thanks again for listening to me Ramble , Don J.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New  Foam.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	39841  
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Don, that looks like the stuff the poll noodles are made from. Its very light and flexible. But not very good for building since its so porus, I have some of the roll stuff you use on masonry to seal the bottoms of walls from moisture. I tried using it but glue would just flow into the holes and not hold very. If you cut it into thin sheets its good for wrapping your batteries in to protect them from crashes.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 AM
diverdon

Yes Waterboy ... I think it is just like the pool noodle type foam .. Good observation ... So it won't work too good for planes ?? It just looks like it would take a good shot and not break ...

So is there any other foam with these properties that might work ? What is the draw of depron ?? Thanks again , Don J.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Yes Waterboy ... I think it is just like the pool noodle type foam .. Good observation ... So it won't work too good for planes ?? It just looks like it would take a good shot and not break ...

So is there any other foam with these properties that might work ? What is the draw of depron ?? Thanks again , Don J.
Don if you want something the same properties, check out EPP. That stuff is nearly indestructable. I have only 2 planes made from and never scratchbuilt with it. Very flexible, light and you can use reg CA on it. Check out RCFOAM.com they cell there I beleive.
EDIT heres link to rcfoam.....http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=ca...category_id=82
Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM
diverdon

Thanks Waterboy ... I appreciate that ... I will look into the EPP foam ... I am sorta laughing at myself thou ... The REAL answer for me is to learn how to fly ... I am new and have almost?? got it .Ha! ..

But then again you know everyone crashes even the Good Pilots so it's a good idea to try to find some strong building materiam ... All I know is that it's a good thing I can repair and build planes "OK" not great but OK .. Thanks Again . Waterboy .... Don J.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

I was surprized to see how strong foam is when covered with nylon reinforced packing tape. I know it's a little heavy, but as I'm learning to fly it's helping me get more than one crash before I have to go home and re-glue. You've heard me say it before, that tape is amazing!