starter plane my son bought - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

starter plane my son bought

Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Dragon Master

Default starter plane my son bought

This is the plane my son bought for a starter plane
Dynam 4Ch Super J3 Cub PA-18 RTF
http://www.nitroplanes.com/dysuj3cubpa4.html

I noticed its a smaller and lighter plane then the HZ Supper Cub that i ordered
it also has Ailerons wanted to know if that would be a problem for beginners
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I don't have experience with that particular plane, but my first impression is no, it's not good for a beginner. That flat wing is my major issue with it. A good trainer will have some to lots of dihedral to help stabilize the plane and pretty much keep itself righted.

Unfortunately, there is a popular belief in RC that Piper Cub=easy to fly training plane. But when it comes to RC planes, all Cubs (Or Cessna's, or Corsairs, etc..) are not created equal. They each have their own design characteristics. You can see tons of info and raves about the HZ SC you ordered, but what have searches come up with for the Dynam one? And mind you, I happen to like Dynam based on the Turbojet I have.

My bet is the Dynam Cub is more difficult to fly, particularly for a beginner, than the HZ Cub. As for what Dynam says, "Users of all levels can fly this plane", remember, they're trying to sell stuff. I've found especially with Chinese made RC planes, the sales pitches are like teenage boys on dates or politicians: they'll tell you WHATEVER you wnt to hear to get what they want...

I'd recommend a lot of sim time, or a buddy box before trying that plane out if your son is an absolute beginner.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
eagle33

xmech2k gives you good advice.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Voltron

I have to agree that its not a a great choice because of the same reasons that xmech2k gave. Its not the worst choice either. Its not a ducted fan jet or some twitchy little warbird that does bank to bank rolls just by looking at the joysticks. It is a high wing plane, so you do get some "penduilum effect" to help if fly right side up. It also looks like it has a large enough wing area so that it can be flown fairly slow. The real downside is that the lack of dihedrial means that it will not have any self correcting characteristics. If he gets into trouble, he can't just let go of the sticks and have the plane correct itself. He will have to fly it out of trouble or crash. I think it would have made a better second plane.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

If Nitro planes were up to their marketing specs they would all be crash resistant, easy to fly for the beginner, while still being challenging and satisfying for the advanced pilot.

As you might guess just about none of that is true. It will be more difficult to fly, not as well made, and probably break easier than the PZ Super Cub.

Possibly an acceptable 2nd plane as indicated. Good for a trainer only with a buddy box.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Dragon Master

Thanks all
One day my son will learn to lesson to his dad LOL
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Voltron

Originally Posted by Dragon Master View Post
Thanks all
One day my son will learn to lesson to his dad LOL
He will probably be teaching you a thing or two before long. My Son can out fly me any day of the week. He says that I'm too conservative and worry too much about wrecking the plane. He is old enough to buy his own planes now so he gets a little more upset if he has a mishap than he did when I was footting the bill.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
HobbyJumper

Echoing xmech, I am concerned by the part that says "Users of all levels can fly this plane, even in windy conditions."
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Dragon Master

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
He will probably be teaching you a thing or two before long. My Son can out fly me any day of the week. He says that I'm too conservative and worry too much about wrecking the plane. He is old enough to buy his own planes now so he gets a little more upset if he has a mishap than he did when I was footting the bill.
Looks like we will both be starting at the same time so i will never be in his class. He will be able to fly better then me right of the get go
A good thing he is old enough to buy his own
Old 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM
fmw

The purpose of dihedral in a wing is to make the plane somewhat self correcting. In other words, a plane with enough dihedral will tend to return to straight and level flight to some degree when you release the sticks. Flat wings - those without dehedral - need to be returned manually to straight and level flight. Personally, I don't think it is such a big deal as others have stated. It might be a perfectly good trainer and certainly would be fine with an instructor and a buddy box.

The main issue with trainers is that you want one that is fairly difficult to roll to an inverted position since that usually causes novices to crash. Planes with ailerons are way easier to get inverted than planes without them. Nevertheless, I prefer training on ailerons for a lot of reasons.

If I were teaching your son to fly, I'd rather use the aileron plane with a buddy box than the Super Cub.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Dragon Master

Originally Posted by fmw View Post
The purpose of dihedral in a wing is to make the plane somewhat self correcting. In other words, a plane with enough dihedral will tend to return to straight and level flight to some degree when you release the sticks. Flat wings - those without dehedral - need to be returned manually to straight and level flight. Personally, I don't think it is such a big deal as others have stated. It might be a perfectly good trainer and certainly would be fine with an instructor and a buddy box.

The main issue with trainers is that you want one that is fairly difficult to roll to an inverted position since that usually causes novices to crash. Planes with ailerons are way easier to get inverted than planes without them. Nevertheless, I prefer training on ailerons for a lot of reasons.

If I were teaching your son to fly, I'd rather use the aileron plane with a buddy box than the Super Cub.
The problem it all the PPL that we know that fly are all beginners
The most any of us have is a couple HR flying, that being my brother
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

FWIW my buddy that had a PZ Super Cub and could fly it OK bought a Dynam Cessna EP 400. It appears very similar to the Dynam Cub. I have not seen or flown their Cub so it could be quite different but at that price point I suspect not. It needed about 2 hours of EXPERIENCED work to get it functioning properly (ailerons and landing gear were set up terribly). A novice would not likely have been able to do it. I almost tossed the aileron setup it was so poorly designed. I had to modify it to make it work right.

I put him on a buddy box for this plane (replaced the RX). He could sorta fly it but could not take off and land at all. It was a lot faster and much more maneuverable than a stock SC. A strong intermediate would have liked it, I did. He absolutely did not. It was just too far over his head. He never could fly it alone and it finally was destroyed from botched attempts at take-off and landings we tried.

I also personally own and fly a Dynam Focus EP 400. It's not a bad plane once ALL the electrics were replaced, and ALL landing gear seriously reinforced. Decent foam and design with poor electronics. Setup is not done well at all.

I stand by my earlier assertion, not a good trainer. With experience and or help to look over EVERYTHING it is useful on a buddy box (maybe) or as a second plane for a strong intermediate. It still needs a thorough going over before flying by someone that knows what to look for.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Ailerons or no? The old question. I think it has a lot to do with how much the new pilot-to-be understands how a plane flies. Has he been using an RC sim? Or perhaps even a 'full-scale' sim, like Microsoft FS? Or worse, has he 'learned' to fly with Playstation or X-Box games?

Does the person have excellent (and almost instant) orientation perception? Will you almost instinctively know when it's flying at you and a gust of wind tips the plane one way, which way to move the ailerons to get it back where you want it? I've heard several cases of full scale pilots not being able to fly RC.

These are why a 3ch planes like the HZ SuperCub is highly recommended if a person is totally new to flight, let alone RC flight. It's like riding a bike. Easy once you 'get it', but until you get the feel of it, should you hop on a 200HP crotch rocket, or stick to a simple bicycle?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
ggunners

I'd check out the new Firebird Stratos too. I bought one and think it would make an excellent trainer and has room for growth as a pilot too. I also have a HZ SC and HZ Micro Champ, both good trainers too. -- ggunners
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Hi Guys, I hope I'm on the right thread. I couldn't find a HZ Champ thread. I understand this is "the" plane to start out with for newbs. My flying Bud and I are sharing the cost and FUN (we are heli pilots). We both have DX6i's so we'll be flipping a coin on binding, unless of course the stock TX is better suited. Which brings me to question 1: Any good settings for the DX6i and Champ?

Second question: What are some spare parts we should order at the same time?

One more question :-( I have Thunder Power 160mah 25C batts. Can I safely assume these will be ok?

Thanks Guys, and BTW, if I'm on the wrong thread please give me a link to the Champ thread.

Mike.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
eagle33

Mike: I fly the Champ with a both a Dx6i and the stock transmitter that comes with the plane. I have no special settings for the Dx6i but maybe others do. You would be wise to order a spare fin-rudder/stabilizer-elevator set (tail feathers). I had to replace mine and others have also. Another forum (rcgroups.com) has a couple of lengthy Champ threads. The best way to get to them is to Google "Hobbyzone Champ mods" (this thread has 265 pages) and HBZ RTF Champ HBZ 4900 ( this one has 1044 pages). Let me know how you come out. Jim
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Thanks Eagle but, to be honest, I'm a member there and I do follow that thread on occasion. I was looking for a different view other than what "others" are saying. Hey, I learned something from you already. I know what "tail feathers" are now Being in the Air Force and working on jets they were just "tails."

Tell me more about using your DX6i and stock TX. Do you have to re-bind on the stock TX when you need to use it with the Champ? I was told once you bind the Champ to the DX6i that, that is it. Model memory thing. In fact, I was hoping to bind the Champ to my DX6i and my Bud's DX6i. From what I was told, no can do. First I was told I could do it though

Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 PM
tr4252

Just last night I read through a thread about this same (Dynam Cub) plane. Can't seem to find it again though. The member who posted it complained that the construction was a bit sub-par, and as I recall, his motor detached itself during flight and the plane crashed.

What's with those tiny wheels?

I'll try to find the thread again.

Tom

Last edited by tr4252; 05-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
tr4252

Found it. The title is Purchasing without researching first; I'm an idiot!. It's in the Beginner section at RC Groups.

Tom
Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Hi Tom, I just added it to my subscriptions. Will read it later. Supper time. Time to refuel!

Mike.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

When I returned to the hobby last summer, I got sucked-in by the very good advertising and bought an Airfiled Cessna 182 RTF as my first plane. Had all the bells and whistles including flaps but was really not a good choice. The TX was a POS with no expo plus the plane was not well equipped for r.o.g. from grass fields. So, I put it away and then bought a decent TX (futaba 6ex) and then the HZ Super Cub. Immediately removed ACT and converted it to 2.4. Bingo, in business !

To xmech's point, the large dihedral angle made a world of difference. Built up some confidence and 10 planes later, here I am today, even graduating to edf's. Went back and modded out the SC to the hilt with ailerons, BL motor, big wheels, etc. All part of the addiction.

Hopefully, your son will get lots of SIM time. That really helps ramp up the skill level in a short period of time. Yes, he'll be flying circles around you in no time. Kids are amazing. I watched our club trainer working with a 10 year today. Fearless !

In a way , it's kind of like learning to play golf. You tend to enjoy the game more when you take the time to learn the fundamentals. If not willing to learn , you give up and say: What a crappy hobby."

The main thing is to enjoy it and have fun., Don't stress out over everything.

Good luck !

Hawk
Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
eagle33

Chap1012/Mike: The 2.4Ghz technology dictates that you can't have two or more transmitters bound to the same plane at the same time. That's why half-dozen people can fly together at the same place and at the same time without radio interference. Therefore, what I do is bind my Dx6i to the Champ when I'm out flying the Champ along with my other planes with Spektrum-compatible receivers. If I fly the Champ and want to use the stock receiver, I have to rebind the Champ to the stock receiver. Everytime I change transmitters, I have to rebind when flying the same plane. This rebinding has become a pain and I quite doing it. I now fly my Champ with the stock Tx and my other planes with the Dx6i.

You cannot bind two transmitters to the same receiver at the same time. That would defeat the purpose of 2.4 Ghz technology. If you bind a Tx to a receiver and then bind a second Tx to the same receiver, the second Tx prevails and the first Tx won't work.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Thanks Eagle. Makes sense now. I'm still kinda new with the DX6i...can you tell? LOL.

Mike.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
chap1012
F-111, Korat RTAFB

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Found it. The title is Purchasing without researching first; I'm an idiot!. It's in the Beginner section at RC Groups.

Tom
He liked his Champ though :-). It does sound like he moved way too fast. I've been told a good next step up from the Champ is a UM T-28. But that's "only" after you have mastered the Champ.

Mike.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
HobbyJumper

The Champ is one superb little plane -- forgiving when you're new and fun when you're good. Easy to fix. Easy to modify. Its only drawback, if you can call it that, is that it's very small, so you'll want to buy a larger plane when you find yourself hooked on the hobby.

ps: Oh yeah, it would be better if it were also sold BNF.

Originally Posted by chap1012 View Post
Hi Guys, I hope I'm on the right thread. I couldn't find a HZ Champ thread. I understand this is "the" plane to start out with for newbs.
Mike.

Quick Reply: starter plane my son bought

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10381 seconds with 12 queries