Good radio to replace my Blade CP Pro's radio - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Good radio to replace my Blade CP Pro's radio

Old 10-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Default Good radio to replace my Blade CP Pro's radio

Hey guys!

I have a Blade CP Pro by E-flite, and I'm getting tired of the RF glitches that plague its included radio system. I'd like to replace my stock 6-channel radio with something that I can move to a Trex or similar electric heli in the future. Here's my stock radio, if you need to see it:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1046

Got any recommendations? I'd like to find a low-cost reliable radio solution, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 AM
rcommo
rcommo

Default Dx6??

...and I'm getting tired of the RF glitches that plague its included radio system.
Well, at least by the ads that they are running in some of the mags, the Spektrum DX should eliminate the glitching. And it's too horribly expensive.

Plus there is speculation that with the full range DX7 coming available soon (if it's not already) you will see a lot of DX6 being sold by people wanting to upgrade.

I don't fly choppers, but I have to wonder if the 2000' "guaranteed" range of the DX6 would really be that restrictive.

I have been happy with my DX6 so far, but I am just learning with an EasyStar, so I am not doing anything fancy with at this point.

-rick
Old 10-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Thanks for the reply, rcommo. That looks like a pretty sweet radio! The servos almost look like they were designed to replace Blade CP Pro servos, LOL!

How would I hook something like that in place of my existing Blade CP Pro electronics? Right now, there's a 4-in-1 controller that controls a tail motor, main motor, and stock gyro. The main motor has been upgraded to a brushless motor, so it has its own ESC. The stock gyro has been upgraded, so it has its own wiring. But the tail motor is still being juiced by the 4-in-1. Is it as simple as pulling off the e-flite receiver from the 4-in-1 and replacing it with the spektrum? Or would there be more to buy, besides just the Spektrum DX6 radio/receiver/servos package?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 AM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Another quick question about that Spektrum DX6 radio... It says that it has '10 model memory'... What's that?

Also, will the Spektrum's servos directly replace the Blade's stock servos? They don't need anything done to them to make them fit and connect where the Blade's stock servos used to be?

Sorry about the 'lots o' questions', but I'm still pretty new to this.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 AM
rcommo
rcommo

Here's what I can answer and be pretty sure that I am correct.

The R6000 receiver can be thought of as two recievers in one package each with it's own antenna. The antennas want to be at 90 degrees to each other (or close to that anyway). The antennas are short at 3.5" each.

As for the "10 model memory". Let's assume that you fly two different copters and a plane. You could set up a memory for each of them with different characteristics on each channel as needed by that particular model. Of course it's up to you to call up the channel that matches a model when you go to fly the model!

I purchased my plane as an "RR", or receiver ready plane. So I popped in the radio and hooked up the servos that came with the plane. I don't think you have to worry about replacing the servos on your copter with the one's that come with the DX6.

What follows needs to be taken with a bit of skeptacism, but I will do my best...

If you ignore, quality of design and manufacture, double versus single conversion, etc, then at a very basic level all receivers "are the same". They have some number of channel connections at the "back end" that the servors (or mixing devices) connect to; use either PPM or PCM encoding, etc.

If if your receiver is just that - a receiver - and not integrated with a mixer and gyro, then I would expect that you could disconnect your servos/mixer from the current receiver and reconnect them to the R6000, preserving the channel that they were connected to. In other words if a connect from a mixer or servo went ot channel 1 on the e-flight then it would go to channel 1 on the R6000. If this assumption is correct than there should be nothing more to buy.

However, I see that e-Flight not only makes "plain vanilla" 6 channels receivers, but also the model elfh1025 which is a "4-n-1 Rx/ESC/Mixer/Gyro". If this is what you have in your copter, then a simple swap wouldn't work.

(Any experienced pilot out there willing to jump in and either confirm this assumption; or point out where it's wrong?!?)

Apologies for not being able to authoritatively answer the "$64,000 question".

-rick
Old 10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Thanks again for the input rcommo, I really appreciate it!

I did a little research on the CP Pro, and it looks like the receiver and 4-in-1 on the helicopter are actually two separate devices... It's a 3-in-1 with a receiver taped to the side of it.

Here's the 3-in-1 device...
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1031

and here's the receiver...
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1036

...so it looks like the receiver can be pulled off and replaced with something else. I'll have to look at my helicopter to double-check and make sure that this setup is indeed what's installed, but if this is the case, do you think it would work?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 PM
rcommo
rcommo

Default Ya gotta love Google...

Yes, I believe it will work since I tried a bit of Google searching to keep myself aswers to you honest!

Have you visited or researched any copter specific Forums for guidance? Here's what I've stumbled across.

Especially check out this one: http://bladecp.net/default.aspx which comes up with a person's experience installing the DX6 in a Blade CP.

Other resources that might help you enjoy your copter would be:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_447/tt.htm (Blade specfic forum)

http://www.rotory.com/fusionbb/ (general copter forum)

Cheers,
-rick
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Lawn Dart
Crater Meistro

Wow, thanks for all the information rcommo! Looks like the Spektrum radio is my ticket to much smoother flying and no more radio spaz. It also looks like it's a lot easier to retrofit a Spektrum radio on a CP Pro than it is for a vanilla CP, so it's a good thing I have the pro!

Now all I gotta do is be a good boy until Christmas... heh!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 AM
Quattro

Futaba 7CHP is what I use for my Blade Pro and all of my planks...great radio! To fly the Blade you just need to swap Xtals and any programming you want to do is right there at your fingertips. I've seen them going for not much more than $100 used. Might be worth your consideration.....
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 AM
Sako
Gravity doesn't scare me!

Hey Lawn Dart - I use a DX6 for mine and its worked great. There are many ways to do it, but I've used this link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47..._2/key_/tm.htm

You'll see some of my 'dumb' questions on there. I have a 4in1 as opposed to a 3in1 so it was a 'bit' more difficult. Trust me, if I can make it work it'll work.

I used the stock servos and used the servos that came with the radio for my T-Rex. I think they are a little light for the T-Rex as I've already broken two. You can do it either way you want.

I'm also using an Align RCE-500X HH gyro for my honey bee.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 AM
cp_master

hey does anyone know what the trainer toggle switch does on the stock blade cp radio?