Balancer question. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Balancer question.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 PM
[email protected]
billconb

Default Balancer question.

:o Hi. Is the difference in price worth buying an Esky orange balance charger over a higher priced Cellpro 4S balance charger for Lipo batteries only? I can't find a cellpro for under $69 compared to the esky for $16 on Ebay. Also I would like to know what are the proper adapters for them. Or power source I guess. Just joined the AMA and looking forward to my first flight this year.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Well, the old adage, "You get what you pay for," holds true to a certain degree. The Cellpro is totally automatic. Can the same thing be said for the Esky (I seriously don't know)?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 AM
[email protected]
billconb

Hi Matt. The Esky automatically balances I guess but its not digital like the Cellpro. I would like to know if the battery is better charged with Cellpro or are the features it has just for the person doing the charging. In other words, what would a battery like best? An Esky balancer or a Cellpro balancer or would it tell a difference?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 AM
ranger306ci
Too dumb to be scared

conbill, could you please post the ebay item number, so I know which one you are talking about?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Fly Away Ohm
Sometimes in control!

Default Esky OK!

I have an Esky charger that works perfectly, if a little slow, because of it's relatively low charge rate.

It does balance charge the cells, and pretty accurately, to about .01V. The best thing about it is there is absolutely nothing to fiddle with, so there is no chance of operator error. It would appear that most of the horror story lipo fires have been caused by using the wrong charging rate and or cell count, i.e. operator error.

I also have an Align balance charger as well which is similarly idiot proof but has a faster charging rate. It did cost about 3 times as much as the Esky though.

Last edited by Fly Away Ohm; 01-31-2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: carn't spell propellerly!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:24 AM
ranger306ci
Too dumb to be scared

Fly away, what is the part number of that charger?
Ken
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 PM
[email protected]
billconb

Originally Posted by ranger306ci View Post
conbill, could you please post the ebay item number, so I know which one you are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017 Hi ranger, I think this will take you to the auction for it.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
[email protected]
billconb

Default Esky balancer quality.

Originally Posted by Fly Away Ohm View Post
I have an Esky charger that works perfectly, if a little slow, because of it's relatively low charge rate.

It does balance charge the cells, and pretty accurately, to about .01V. The best thing about it is there is absolutely nothing to fiddle with, so there is no chance of operator error. It would appear that most of the horror story lipo fires have been caused by using the wrong charging rate and or cell count, i.e. operator error.

I also have an Align balance charger as well which is similarly idiot proof but has a faster charging rate. It did cost about 3 times as much as the Esky though.
Hi Fly Away Ohm, Thats is good information. I was wondering what power source to use or what wall adapter. What do you suggest? They don't sell the wall adapter with the balancer unless you bid on another auction for $10 plus shipping. I found one that had it all plus a Lipo 11.1, 1000Mah battery for $35 but I already have 3 stronger batteries.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Fly Away Ohm
Sometimes in control!

The Esky is an EC103A and charges 2 cell 7.4V and 3 cell 11.1V at 800mA.
The Align is an RCC-4CX and charges 2 cell 7.4V, 3 cell 11.1V and 4cell 14.8V at 1000mA.

The Align connects direct to the mains but the Esky has to have a 10 - 15V transformer. Mine came complete with plug in transformer as part of my HoneyBee CP2 Heli so I can't advise where to get one. I would guess any 12V charger would be OK, the tricky bit is getting the right plug on the end of it! $10 sounds pretty cheap to me - will the seller combine the shipping if you buy both?

The Align is a much more substantial beastie than the Esky and has more of a quality feel about it but, that said, I have been using the Esky charger for over a year now and it has behaved impeccably so it has to get my full recommendation.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 PM
ranger306ci
Too dumb to be scared

alright, that is the same one that came with mine. I was not sure if it balanced or not. Thanks!