Need Advise Buying A Radio - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Advise Buying A Radio

Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Default Need Advise Buying A Radio

I'm looking at two radios and need some information before I buy, please.

The radios are:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXLDP9**&P=0 (equivalent to the Futaba 6exa)

and

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/r448538.asp (Airtronics VG6000)

Both radios are computer and 6 channel, with receiver but without servos.

I see a lot of references to other brands of RC equipment saying they are compatible with only certain other brands of RC gear, but I don't remember which.

My questions are...

Which of the two radios do you think would be the most compatible with other brands of equipment such as receivers, servos, ESCs and anything else that might be attached to it?

Also, I plan on buying a Wind Dragon 4, but I would like to upgrade it to a better radio. I was wondering if anyone knows if the servos and ESC that come with the plane would be compatible with either of these radios?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Twmaster

Bill, given the compatibility issues you mention the Tower radio would be the best choice. Airtronics make nice radios but they, like JR, are limited to using positive shift receivers.

Of course the same applies to the Tower (made by Futaba for Tower) but there are far more negative shift receivers out there in the real world.

I know this does not appear on your lists but for not a lot more money you can buy a good used Hitec Optic 6 which is 6 channels, computer type radio that can also use both positive and negative shift receivers.

I had an Optic 6 before moving to a DX7 Spektrum radio and was overall very happy with it.

Hope this is of some help and not just confusing you...

As for the Wing Dragon....

Yes the servos and ESC should work providing they are not some proprietary thing or all built into one receiver blob.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 AM
INSANEflyer

I would get the towerhobbies radio, but I have no experience with either of them! Sorry I'm not much help!

INSANEflyer
Old 06-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I knew I could count on you guys to give me good information and even mention things I don't even know about.

As for the Wing Dragon 4, all of the components are separate, even using 2 servos for the ailerons, for a total of 4 servos. I believe the receiver and ESC are even separate.

Money is a big concern for me as I'm retired and my income isn't the greatest, so any savings would certainly be appreciated when it comes to buying equipment.

Do you have any suggestions where I can go to find out if anyone has a transmitter and receiver they'd be willing to sell? I'm going to poke around and see if there's a Wanted & For Sale forum here and maybe over on RCUniverse and RC Groups. These are the 3 sites where I've registered.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:50 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by INSANEflyer View Post
I would get the towerhobbies radio, but I have no experience with either of them! Sorry I'm not much help!

INSANEflyer
Thanks for the reply, and that's okay. Opinions are just fine, too.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Both radios are nice, between the two, I would go with the towerhobby futaba made radio, I have not had to much luck with airtronics computer radios, but knowing what I know now, I would go with a JR radio, they are a solid radio, and you can get receivers that are auto shift , auto gain , narrow band, Single conversion, with a 1 mile range like the Hitec Micro 05S 5 channel receiver, it does not matter if the transmitter is pos shift or neg shift, it will work with it, with the hitec receiver you have to use a hitec crystal, because they are balanced, ask me how i know that take care, Chellie

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdId=JRP6654**
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Fangar
Bank Robber

In the price range of the Tower radio you posted, I would highly recommend the Futaba 7C. It can be had for around 150 bucks and is a very nice radio. I have one and love it.

http://www.3dxhobbies.com/product_p/fut7ca.htm

It works perfectly with The Castle Creations (Berg 7p) receivers and most others. For the extra 30 bucks, I would buy it hands down over the Tower.

Paul (Above link) is a great guy and offers free shipping on orders over 100 bucks.

Cheers,

Fangar
Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

CHELLIE,

Thanks for your suggestion. That does look like a nice radio, but price has to be my main consideration in buying. I even think I'd be perfectly happy with a non-computer transmitter, but for just the few dollars more for the Tower radio, I think I can convince the wife to let me get it.

Fangar,

Thanks for your suggestion, too. I will have to consider this radio very closely. For $30 more it's going to be close, but it might be done.
I'll look at that radio more closely and check out its features.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Both god choices, your right its worth the extra 20 bucks or so to get a compouter radio good luck!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks Tinman,

It's not so much that I'm going to have a whole lot of planes that the memory is a primary consideration in buying a computer radio. But if I can get a computer radio for just a few dollars more that a standard one, it will probably be worth it.

I'll probably only have 2 or 3 planes because of the expense and my very limited income. But if I have my own radio I won't have to keep buying RTF's and have all these different transmitters to keep up with. I can buy ARF's and put in my own radio.

At least that's what I think I'm going to do.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Im in the same boat as you Bill

I got fed up with the RTF airplanes. I have the Hobby Zone Super Cub. Its great but the interference was killing me.

I decided to drop 200 bucks and got a dx6. Comes with the receiver and also 4 servos that work with pretty much anything.

The only plane I have on my DX6 s my 20 dolar slow stick I dont think I will ever have ten airplanes on it but someday I might so its nice to buy a decent radio that can grow with you in the hobby.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

I tried RC planes back 15 or 20 years ago when I was working (I'm retired, now) and could afford it, but of the two planes I bought (the first one was glow and the second one was electric) I crashed and broke them both within 30 seconds of launch.

I repaired the glow one and probably could have gotten it up and flying (it was foam), but I remembered my days flying U control and the mess the fuel made. Plus, I live in a small condo and storage of the fuel was difficult.

The electric was also foam. This was back in the days when electrics where just becoming available. The problem with them was that they were basically converted glow planes equipped with RC car motors and heavy NiCad battery packs and flew like a brick anyway. I gave up on that one immediately and put the geared motor in a boat.

I saw a Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom for $60 and said "What the He##, I'll give it one more try." And low and behold, I was able to fly it after downloading and playing with FMS for a couple of weeks.

Well, I've got to go help the wife now and hopefully get in her good graces when I decide to buy the radio.

'Till later.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Just remember a $200 dollar radio is only 10 cents a day. When you look at it over a matter of years
Old 06-13-2007, 07:32 PM
brnyrbbl