Calling all Wing Dragon Series Owners Using Brushless Motors - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Calling all Wing Dragon Series Owners Using Brushless Motors

Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Default Calling all Wing Dragon Series Owners Using Brushless Motors

I'm in the process of updating my Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks thread with as much information on brushless motor modifications as I can.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22731 and
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721845

I've been able to find quite a bit of information on the brushless motors and ESCs you all use, but very little on what props you ended up using.

So I can get all this information in one place on my Tips & Tricks post, if you would be so kind as to give me the following information:

Motor: (please indicate brand, model number and whether it's an inrunner or outrunner.)
ESC: (brand, amp rating and BNC amp rating.)
Prop: (size, pitch and whether or not it's designed for electric. If you are running the stock prop, please indicate so.)
Battery: (type, size in milliamps)

Apparently selecting the correct prop is very important as far as performance and amp draw is concerned, so, please indicate whether or not you are pleased with your selection, not pleased, and/or still experimenting.

If you have any pictures you'd like to post, please do so.
Pictures of your motor mount would be appreciated, too.

I've posted this request in multiple forums and on multiple sites, so if you run across this request elsewhere you only need to give this information once.

Thank you for your time in helping me with this project.

Last edited by Sir Raleigh; 08-31-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hi Bill,
I've got a Wing Dragon but I haven't assembled it yet or anything.. I been getting moved and settled. Its been a little hectic here. I certainly am interested in what your doing here in this thread. I'll be following you for more information.. hopefully, before long I may have something to add also.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the kind words. The Wing Dragon(s)/BA are great planes and I believe they deserve to have as much information about them as possible in one place.

The plane is an excellent trainer, floater, and AV platform and has been taken to altitudes in excess of 2500 feet.

I'll certanelly appreciate all the input about the plane I can get.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 AM
nipper

i have both the wing dragon 3 and the wing dragon 4. so far i have only flown the w/d 3 with great results, a few mods i did was firstly fit a decent JR radio set, speed 480 brushed motor , 30 amp esc, 7 cell nmhd 2/3 battery pack , gws 6 inch prop. this set up has given me well over 60 flights without any probles whatsoever. i am currently setting up the w/d 4 with again a good radio set and a new 2408-21 brushless and matching 18 amp esc [ tower-pro brands ] a good battery set will come next. i will say anyone who wants to learn to fly should buy one of the w/d 3 chanell planes very good .
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
brtmac
Flying Green

Default EMAX cf2805 1600Kv

I have a WingDragon Sportster (like the 4 but with a slightly different wing). I'm planning on putting an EMAX cf2805 1600Kv motor on it with a 3e 3s 1800mAh LiPo and EMAX 18A ESC. I'm not sure about the prop yet, but what look promising are an APC 6x4 (for thrust and longer flight times), APC 6x5.5 (for higher speeds to do aerobatics), or a GWS 7x3.5 HD for lots of thrust for doing things like trying to go vertical. Anything else seems to result in exceeding the rpm's of the prop, or exceeding the amps on the motor (14 max, 12.5 cont).

I have the motor, ESC and batteries, but I just got a Superfly so I haven't had time to get the WD set up (spending it all flying the Superfly).

The other thing I've done to my WD is put a 5 channel receiver in and configured it for flaperons. The flaperons are cool and I can do near vertical landings with just a tiny bit of headwind. It can also float around the field slow enough to tease the dogs, and long enough to wear them out. I've read about configuring them as a spoilerons for quick decents, but haven't tried it yet. The flaperons will pretty much make the plane come to a stop in the air. I also have the elevators mixed with the flaperons so full up elevator also engages the flaperons and can make the plane nearly loop in place.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 AM
brtmac
Flying Green

I have my EMAX cf2805 1600Kv motor mounted on my WD. It's mounted about 1" higher than where the original Speed 480 motor was mounted so it can handle larger diameter props. I just did a static test of an GWS 8x4 HD prop on 3s and it came up at 10.8A and 117W, which seems like a really good place to be. I could probably go with an 8x6 and use throttle control to keep the max amps down which might be a little better because I get a lot more thrust at the maximum efficiency speed of the motor. But, I only have an 8x4 so I can't really try it out.

I'm hoping to maiden it tomorrow morning if the weather is good (hah, it's Ireland, so good weather is mostly a myth .
Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM
meesier42

well I have the the TowerPro 2508-21T-3A motor with a 1200mAh 3s LiPo. I was running the GWS 7035, but that prop was a POS so I have just shifted to the APC 7x5e SF and hoping that it will do much nicer.

I don't know what the specs on the motor are yet, but with everyone running the GWS 7060 I think this will end up being a just fine prop, but I will try and test the numbers if I can.

If anyone else knows what the specs on it are, thrust/amps/rpm I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

One question about your motor. Are you sure it's a 2508-21T-3A and not a 2408-21T-3A?

If it is indeed a 2408-21T-3A, you can get all the information about that motor at Heads Up RC - 2408-21T Specifications.

Also, what ESC are you using?

If you'll supply the following information, I'll add it to the Wing Dragon/Wing Dragon 4/Begin-Air Series Planes Tips & Tricks thread.

Motor: (Brand, Model Number, Inrunner/Outrunner)
ESC: (Brand, Amperage, BEC Amperage (if known))
Prop: (Brand, Model Number or Length, Pitch)
Battery: (Brand, Voltage, Capacity in mAh, "C" Rating, Type (Lipo/NiMH/NiCAD)

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Bill, here is my set up

Begin-Air

Motor: SK400xt outrunner
ESC: Castle Creations Thunderbird 18A ESC
Prop: APC 7x6
Battery: Lipo - Thunder Power 3s2100 Prolite 15c/24c Works well with a tp3s1320 if you add some weight(but who wants to do that)
Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM
meesier42

Sorry,
you are right, I had a typo there, 2408 is correct.

I have the PowerUp 18A ESC with Wow-RC 1200mAh 3s Lipos.
Pretty much all stuff that I got from HeadsUpRC. Also setups that I have seen many times on the "Monster WD Thread". Although I will say that I was enjoying 20+min flying times with this setup. and the flying wieght of my plane is about 30oz right now (lots of epoxy and balsa).

I was running the GWS 7035 prop, but after flying it and finding damage to the prop w/o crashing and breaking all but my last one, I decided it was time to try a better prop. I am not satisfied with GWS so far, so I decided to shift to APC, which initially look like much better props. I have not had a chance to fly it yet, as my brother crashed it really hard yesterday and I spent all night and part of today fixing it. And of course its raining today, and it actually looks like Xmas day may be my next chance to put it in the air.

So the specs and what I have flown.

Motor- TowerPro 2408-21T-3A brushless outrunner (firewall mount)
ESC- PowerUp 18A with 2A BEC
Prop- GWS 7035
Battery- 18A, 1200mAh, 15C, 3s LiPo from WowRC

Specs (according to HeadsUpRC), 9Amps @WOT, 16oz thrust, pitch speed 47mph

review of this combo is the GWS props suck, although I really enjoyed flying her in this configuration, I flew yesterday in about a smooth headwind, she was barely making foward progress into the wind (although climbing comfortably). I think a prop with more bite will help get me able to climb out of anything more easily and get altitude faster for the easy soaring that I really enjoy.

Therefore I have swapped to the APC 7x5e, thin electric, which should draw a max of 14A @WOT providing 20oz of thrust w/ pitch speed of 54mph. I expect this to be much improved and will provide a review once I fly here in this setup.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks Liquidity and meesier42,

Your power systems have been added to the T&T thread.