Charging 2S+3S Lipos in series. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Charging 2S+3S Lipos in series.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Warden

Default Charging 2S+3S Lipos in series.

OK, so I took the bait and picked up a couple of Polyquest 4400's 12C/16C burst, at HL's sale yesterday. I needed a 5S pack so I got one 2S and one 3S. Obviously, I'll hook them up in series. The motor/prop I'm using should be drawing 49 amps at WOT so I'll only be hitting constant C sometimes and burst C, never.

My charger is an Astro 109 and I also picked up two of the Poly Quest charge guards. I'm thinking that this arrangement should work out fine. The only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of time it will take to recharge the batteries since I'll have to charge each pack separately.

So, what I'm planning on doing is to leave the cells in series and charge them as a single 5S pack, then before they reach full charge, separate the packs, attach the charge guard and finish them off as two separate packs. I should get back in the air quicker with that arrangement.

What say ye on my planned charging regimen? Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Warden
Old 11-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Warden

Default No replies..............

Hmmm, no replies so I'm thinkin' it's one of two things. Either the answer to my question is so simple that it doesn't warrant a reply or my planned charging regimen is so ridiculous that no one wants to say what an idiot I am.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Originally Posted by Warden View Post
Hmmm, no replies so I'm thinkin' it's one of two things. Either the answer to my question is so simple that it doesn't warrant a reply or my planned charging regimen is so ridiculous that no one wants to say what an idiot I am.
Hi Warden

Highly unlikely that you are an idiot.

I have an Astro 109 charger and BOY do I love it. My Corsair has 2 - 3S 3,5 Amp cells in series and my 109 picks up the 6S immediately and it takes me about 50 minutes to put 1,8 amps back in the pack.

I don't seperate them and have had no problems.

Geoff