Replacement motor for TGPF Cessna - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Replacement motor for TGPF Cessna

Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Default Replacement motor for TGPF Cessna

Hi all. Recently had an 'unplanned landing' with my top gun park flite cessna, resulting in a snapped driveshaft on the motor. I know the motor is a Bell type, other than that can find no specs on it anywhere. Can anyone reccomend a replacement? (CML say 2-4 weeks just for the motor mount, but dont have the motor listed as a spare!)So thinking of something similar, and i plan to make a new firewall/mount myself to suit whatever is readily available. Running 3s lipo, 25a ESC and 8x4 prop.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gazzacov View Post
Hi all. Recently had an 'unplanned landing' with my top gun park flite cessna, resulting in a snapped driveshaft on the motor. I know the motor is a Bell type, other than that can find no specs on it anywhere. Can anyone reccomend a replacement? (CML say 2-4 weeks just for the motor mount, but dont have the motor listed as a spare!)So thinking of something similar, and i plan to make a new firewall/mount myself to suit whatever is readily available. Running 3s lipo, 25a ESC and 8x4 prop.
Sounds as if it may have been the el cheapo BP/Tower Pro 2408-21 motor. If you need a better, though still cheap, replacement you could get the Tower Pro 2409-18 (the real gold colored one, not the lousy bell version) - it would be okay with the 8x4, even better with a 9x5 GWS HD.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5499
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TP_A2409-18.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	86631  
Old 12-14-2008, 12:14 AM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Many thanks for the info Dr Kiwi. Unfortunately, although cheap for sure, would cost more than twice that to get it sent to me in the UK. Have Googled same motor on a UK only search, came up with zip! However, i can use the specs as a guide as to what i need, so gonna keep searching..
Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Many thanks for the info Dr Kiwi. Unfortunately, although cheap for sure, would cost more than twice that to get it sent to me in the UK. Have Googled same motor on a UK only search, came up with zip! However, i can use the specs as a guide as to what i need, so gonna keep searching..
Ask these guys- this 2212-10 might do you well. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a221210-14...12a290a260bbae
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

You're obviously better at searching than me bud! Have ordered the following today..
1x A2212-10 (140w) Brushless outrunner
1x Towerpro brushless outrunner 2410 12D 1530kv 12a
Both good price and cheap postage. Ones a bit over-powered, but hey, better to have too much than not enough!(Model weighs about 440g)
Thanks again for your help, will post some info on the site somewhere on the results of both motors when i get them.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Well, the motors finally arrived (no thanks to our awful royal snail mail), and I'm flying again! Installed the Towerpro first, mainly because its the heaviest motor, i figured if i can trim it to fly ok with that, the lighter motor would be no problem. Made a new mount from balsa block and a few long M3 bolts, with 2 degrees offset in down and right built into the shape of the block. this should make any further motor changes straightforward too. Still using the origional fit 8x4 prop, model flew great, with approx 20% more thrust everywhere. Downside is its heavier on the front end, so had to modify the battery bay a little to get the CofG right, and takeoffs need about 10 feet more, but, (and i guess this is due to added weight) a lot more stable, slow speed flight still pretty good. I have another 8x5 prop which i think will give me a bit more, with the new motors increased torque but have yet to try this one. May give the other motor a run or three, see how it compares. Should give a few more revs as smaller case, but unsure how it will compare under load as i dont have wattmeter/rev counter. Overall, pleased so far, not too much cost on repairs/mods, and, thanks to all the info i'm learning on a daily basis through wattflyers getting more fun every time i go out (except today when i had to give up after 3 flights as the cold made my thumbs too numb!)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Thumbs up

Well, the motors finally arrived (no thanks to our awful royal snail mail), and I'm flying again! Installed the Towerpro first, mainly because its the heaviest motor, i figured if i can trim it to fly ok with that, the lighter motor would be no problem. Made a new mount from balsa block and a few long M3 bolts, with 2 degrees offset in down and right built into the shape of the block. this should make any further motor changes straightforward too. Still using the origional fit 8x4 prop, model flew great, with approx 20% more thrust everywhere. Downside is its heavier on the front end, so had to modify the battery bay a little to get the CofG right, and takeoffs need about 10 feet more, but, (and i guess this is due to added weight) a lot more stable, slow speed flight still pretty good. I have another 8x5 prop which i think will give me a bit more, with the new motors increased torque but have yet to try this one. May give the other motor a run or three, see how it compares. Should give a few more revs as smaller case, but unsure how it will compare under load as i dont have wattmeter/rev counter. Overall, pleased so far, not too much cost on repairs/mods, and, thanks to all the info i'm learning on a daily basis through wattflyers getting more fun every time i go out (except today when i had to give up after 3 flights as the cold made my thumbs too numb!)
Wel, i fitted the A2212-10 motor last night, and flew today with the same 8x4 prop. Big improvment! Higher revs, less than half throttle steady flight no problem, and better takeoffs & landing due less weight. Then i tried the 8x5 prop, much better. Quieter to the point of almost silent on half throttle at around 50ft, but enough thrust for vertical when i felt like it. Batteries and esc all cool after flights of mixed throttle 12 mins duration, so i think i will stick with this setup for a while. Once again, many thanks to Dr Kiwi for the help, turned a wreck into a fun machine, woo hoo!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

What has happened to giantcod... is it gone for good?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 AM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

I Have no idea bud. Just before holidays the site went down with an 'access supended' banner, but now just error 401. Havent tried the phone yet, still have the number on one of my order emails somewhere. Will try later today and see.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Apparently they are in the process of moving the site to a new server, so will be offline whilst all the bugs are sorted out, but most definitely still in buisness! Phew! Just my luck to find a good source and then it goes belly up... but all is well.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Yes, I've been exchanging e-mails with Rob, with regard to some test motors, and everything at giantcod is up and running now.