Substitute for the Power 60 by E-Flite?? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Substitute for the Power 60 by E-Flite??

Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Substitute for the Power 60 by E-Flite??

Hey guys, as most of you know, I just got back from another deployment. I barely have time to breathe, let alone search the web...so, here goes...I want to build my .60 P-51 that I've had for the last two years! It's been sitting with just the wing servos installed and that's about it.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good dependable motor that can fill in for the Power 60 by E-Flite? Christmas is coming up and I don't want to skimp on quality due to price. I was hoping there's a decent motor out there that costs a bit less than the Power 60 that will be up to par. If not, I'll just go ahead and get the Power 60...anything to keep my babies in the air. Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Hey guys, as most of you know, I just got back from another deployment. I barely have time to breathe, let alone search the web...so, here goes...I want to build my .60 P-51 that I've had for the last two years! It's been sitting with just the wing servos installed and that's about it.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good dependable motor that can fill in for the Power 60 by E-Flite? Christmas is coming up and I don't want to skimp on quality due to price. I was hoping there's a decent motor out there that costs a bit less than the Power 60 that will be up to par. If not, I'll just go ahead and get the Power 60...anything to keep my babies in the air. Thanks guys.

Mike

Mike,

I am running a 4020-10 Scorpion in my 7Lb Shoestring - great motor and built like a truck, I highly reccommend you consider it.

What is the AUW of your mustang? A ballpark maybe?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks for the response Josh. I'm converting her from gas to electric, so after I considered the batteries (2x3s 5800-6000mah) and an additional Rx batt (??) she'll probably come in at around close to 6-7lbs...I'm HOPING, lol.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Heres one, Bubsteve
AXI Gold 4120/14 Outrunner Motor

Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Steve. I'll give her a look here in a minute bud.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thanks for the response Josh. I'm converting her from gas to electric, so after I considered the batteries (2x3s 5800-6000mah) and an additional Rx batt (??) she'll probably come in at around close to 6-7lbs...I'm HOPING, lol.

Here's a handy-dandy master list rom Lucien at Innov8tive

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Sco...ison%20Web.htm

You can see which knonw-brand motors line up with the Power 60.

The 4020-16 looks like your huckleberry... a steal at 90 bucks lol

Last edited by groundrushesup; 12-02-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: duh brain fahrt
Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

These Welgards are great motoros. I run the next size up from this one in my 1/4 scale shoestring and have had this 8 1/2lb bird clocked at 87mph on radar.

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-181.html

Not bad at all for $54.99
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
These Welgards are great motoros. I run the next size up from this one in my 1/4 scale shoestring and have had this 8 1/2lb bird clocked at 87mph on radar.

Hey Bill, thanks man! I looked at the next size up and was wondering which one would be a better way to go for a .60 sized warbird. If YOU had to choose, which would you go with friend? Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Henry Sistrunk

http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo604brmo.html

I use this one in my Senior Telemaster. No problems with it in approx 6 mos flying
Henry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 001.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	114675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 004.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	114676  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Hey Bill - do you have any experience with their ESC's? I have a wonky 45A that I am looking to replace and those prices are excellent.

Josh
Old 12-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Henry Sistrunk View Post
http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo604brmo.html

I use this one in my Senior Telemaster. No problems with it in approx 6 mos flying
Henry
Thanks Henry! Alot of great responses and suggestions on here so far. As soon as I have more time, I'm gonna dig in and see if I can find the best fit for my P-51. Thanks again friend!

Mike
Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey Bill, thanks man! I looked at the next size up and was wondering which one would be a better way to go for a .60 sized warbird. If YOU had to choose, which would you go with friend? Thanks.

Mike
I've got the bigger one in my shoestring and it really makes it perform well on 8s. If you have the room for the batteries I would go with the bigger one. It is about the same size just more powerful.

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Hey Bill - do you have any experience with their ESC's? I have a wonky 45A that I am looking to replace and those prices are excellent.

Josh
Josh I have several of their ESC's. The 80 amp HV is in my Shoestring and it works very well. I have a smaller one with on board BEC on my Slow stick and it works well too.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Mike
You can't go wrong with the Hacker A50 series. I've got both the Hacker A50-12S and A50-16S. Three other club members have the A50-16S, pulling a 16X8 prop on 6S2P Lipos, running about 60 Amps or so.

I'm running mine on 6S2P (Six series, two parallel) 2300 MaHr A123 cells, that are on their second flying season. They've got some 20 hours actual flying time on each of them, and they've got the same exact performance as when the A123 packs were new.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Kyle, I appreciate the response. However, I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. Those motors appear to be the same cost as the Power 60 from E-Flite.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well, I did it!! I went with the WA4130-08 http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-179.html.

Should be here in 2-5 days. I wanted their 70A ESC but they were out of stock. If Bill says they work then it must be written in stone, lol. Thanks again Bill!

Thankyou to ALL the wattheads that responded here, I really appreciate it. Thanks guys!!

Mike
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Good deal Mike! Here is a video of that very motor performing in my Shoestring. This is with it swinging a 13x10 prop on a 8s 4000mah lipo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtuukImCdL0[/media]
Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

So THAT'S what a Shoestring is! That's a nice plane and an even better video Bill! When did you build her...I don't remember that one? Have you flown her on 6s or just on 8s? I'm starting to wonder if I should go with 8s for my Mustang. How do you think she'll perform on 6s? Thanks again for all your help Bill!

MIke
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

So THAT'S what a Shoestring is! That's a nice plane and an even better video Bill! When did you build her...I don't remember that one? Have you flown her on 6s or just on 8s? I'm starting to wonder if I should go with 8s for my Mustang. How do you think she'll perform on 6s? Thanks again for all your help Bill!

MIke
I got that bird used from a buddy of mine and converted it from the slimey stuff to her current glory.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44741

You'll need to run an 8s with that motor. I use 2 4s in series. A lot cheaper that way!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Bill! I appreciate it bud. 8s it is then, lol.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No Problem Mike, Glad to help.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Good thing I haven't bought the batts yet then, huh, lol?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

LOL, Yeah! Of course if you had then you would just have to buy another plane and motor to fit them!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

LOL, Yeah! Of course if you had then you would just have to buy another plane and motor to fit them!
That wouldn't go over well with the wife. Just curious Bill...what discharge rate are the 8s you're using? Would 20C be enough?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That wouldn't go over well with the wife. Just curious Bill...what discharge rate are the 8s you're using? Would 20C be enough?
Depends on your amp draw but I'd say you'll be good. If you get 4000mah, a 20c would be good to 80 amps.

Mine are 15c and work well. I'm only pulling about 45 amps with my setup though.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Depends on your amp draw but I'd say you'll be good. If you get 4000mah, a 20c would be good to 80 amps.

Mine are 15c and work well. I'm only pulling about 45 amps with my setup though.
WOW!! 45 amps, that's it!? I was thinking (2x4s5000mah) at 20C in series. Lookin for decent flight times too. The motor specs say max current is 60A for 60 seconds. I guess I need to put the wattmeter on it and see if I can get away with using the 60A Pentium ESC I have. Thanks for everything Bill!

Mike

Quick Reply: Substitute for the Power 60 by E-Flite??

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10645 seconds with 15 queries