Just a word to remind us all about safety. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Just a word to remind us all about safety.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Twmaster

Default Just a word to remind us all about safety.

Hand tools can be dangerous. Just a little while ago I got back from my favorite LHS with a new set of metric allen drivers. I put the 2.0MM in the set screw on a big AXi motor, started to twist and the shaft on the tool shattered leaving me with a chunk of metal stuck in my forearm and a puncture to my left middle finger where the stub of the driver stabbed me.

I've cleaned up the blood and found the small bits of the tool. I'll be making a visit to the LHS tomorrow for a return.

One chunk of shaft flew across the room and hit the window. Glad it didn't get me in the eye or somewhere else 'tender'.

Be careful out there!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Be careful also Mike!! Drilled a hole in my left middle finger last weekend making a motor mount hole.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:08 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Ouch Mike, and Don... You can never be careful enough.

my story?

about two weeks ago I set my forearm down on a hot glue gun... While it was hot! you wouldn't think that would be that bad but with the glue oozing out the end it stuck to my arm like, well, like glue. When I pulled it off the skin, and a lot of it, came with it.

it is still healing
Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Ouch Mike, and Don... You can never be careful enough.

my story?

about two weeks ago I set my forearm down on a hot glue gun... While it was hot! you wouldn't think that would be that bad but with the glue oozing out the end it stuck to my arm like, well, like glue. When I pulled it off the skin, and a lot of it, came with it.

it is still healing
Owie!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Tailspin Ken

Gee, you guys better start flying paper airplanes! My worst experience was testing a newly installed motor. I was sitting on the sofa and had just plugged in the battery and was looking to make sure the prop was facing the right direction. My cat jumped onto the sofa and hit the throttle stick. I tried to jerk the plane away and managed to cut my wrist with the spinning prop.
Ken
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Ok, here is one. I use nylon string to hang the airplanes from the ceiling. One day I got a bright idea to fix a little windchime I had. So off I went to get the nylon string and a lighter. You know you have to burn the ends or it will frey.

So I am on a stepstool burning the ends and one of them dripped off on the thumb joint. That stuff burned all the way to the bone. The only thing that was good about it is it was burning.

But the bad thing was it was burning. It doesn't stop burning. A testament to the human body. It took about a month to heal with constant attention by me to keep it clean but there is no scar. It was about the size of a pencil eraser.

So be careful out there. I did get the windchime fixed.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

WOW, you guys shouldn't be around tools!! (Please excuse my typing, the index fingers on both hands have bandaids due to seperate x-acto knife slip ups).

Last edited by Solid Hit; 06-19-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Tailspin Ken View Post
Gee, you guys better start flying paper airplanes! My worst experience was testing a newly installed motor. I was sitting on the sofa and had just plugged in the battery and was looking to make sure the prop was facing the right direction. My cat jumped onto the sofa and hit the throttle stick. I tried to jerk the plane away and managed to cut my wrist with the spinning prop.
Ken
Maybe you need to as well, or at least your cat does LOL, I don't know what would be worse a burned arm or a slit wrist....

Them burns hurt don't they Deb???!!!:o
Old 06-19-2006, 06:29 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

I learned a couple of months ago that when installing pulls on new cabinet doors that a scrap block of particle board works better as a backer block when drilling the holes then your finger does.:o
Old 06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

How many times did it take to figure it out though. There is always a learning curve.

And yes, the burn hurt, but since it coterized the same time it burned I am sure it didn't hurt as much as it could have.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Are you asking how many times I've drilled through things into my body?
It'll take a while to count the scars.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Ok.....so it take a couple times to realize it hurts

You can stop counting
Old 06-19-2006, 11:27 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Well it's kinda like when you take something to the grinder and the second that you touch it to the wheel you think "I should probably be holding this with pliars" but before that thought finishes going through your brain the thing goes flying out of your fingers, sails across the room and lands in the black hole in your shop never to be seen again.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Solid Hit View Post
WOW, you guys shouldn't be around tools!! (Please excuse my typing, the index fingers on both hands have bandaids due to seperate x-acto knife slip ups).
HA HA! ummm... Mine are on my thumbs:o (bandaids that is)
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

When you find the black hole, you'll find the stray socks.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:10 AM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Wow you guys, should be more careful, I always end up cutting myself with the xato knife or something
not my story but my father,
Always be safe of drills, he one day was useing his drill and drillling a hole in something, he somehow droped the drill it feel stight down the drill bit went tho the topo of his foot and came out the bottom into the floor OUCH (forget where i was ) he had to pull it out of the floor and undo the bit from the drill and then pull the drill bit out of his shoe and foot (ouch )
then he had a nice mess to clean up.
Who would even thought a cordless drill would fall stight down like that, any other time if would fall on the side or something.

BE safe guys/and gals we want you around where you can enjoy this hobbie.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:34 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I learned a while back that when you are using a metal straight edge and an exacto knife to cut long strips of balsa, watch where your fingers are. To be exact, make sure they are not hanging over the edge of the straight edge when you drag the blade down it. My left index finger now has a nice angle on one side of it. Of course it was a new blade and the piece fell over like a fresh sliced piece of bread. Bled like a son of a gun too.

P.S. I can see where this thread is going........wanna see my wooden leg???
Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Tinlid

Did you know SOLDERING IRONS ARE VERY HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

Originally Posted by Tailspin Ken View Post
Gee, you guys better start flying paper airplanes!
Naw, then there would be a forum full of paper-cut threads! ..."and the time that paper sliced clear to the bone!"

Old 06-20-2006, 04:03 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
. . . My left index finger now has a nice angle on one side of it.
Cool! You use that to test CG, right? {grin}

Andy (jealous that I don't have any cool injury stories to share (yet)...)
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Speaking of paper airplanes; I was teaching my seven year old how to make decent paper airplanes. A-yup, got a paper cut, bad one too.
After we made a bunch of them, we took them up to our roof to toss them off.
On her first hard toss one of the airplanes looped around and caught her in the eye (no real damage). As my mother said: "it's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye..."
I haven had any shop mishaps in a while, prolly about due...
RobII
Old 06-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Utahflyer

Default Pushrod through Index Finger

I find that a piece of stiff pushrod (about two inches long) clamped in a pair of vice-grips is a great way to clear out dried CA from a fine tipped bottle without widening the hole in the bottle.

Just don't hold the bottle directly under the tip as you perform this procedure. I did this, and as I tried to push the rod into the tip of the bottle, it slipped, and proceeded to enter one side of my index finger and exit the other side. The worst part was realizing that I actually had to pull it out.

Fortunately, it missed the bone, fingernail and any nerves, but it still hurt like crazy!

Oh yeah, I agree...soldering irons are really hot, and result in nasty burns when you bump into them!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Tucson Don
Tucson Don

Location: Tucson, AZ where conditions are great for model flying

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Be careful also Mike!! Drilled a hole in my left middle finger last weekend making a motor mount hole.
If breaking circuit between battery and motor requires heavy duty device--
what about breaking circuit with switch between recieiver and ESC. That is
small gage wire and lower voltage. Anyone got ideas on this.? It is
an important safety issue.
Tucson Don
Old 06-20-2006, 06:52 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by Utahflyer View Post
I find that a piece of stiff pushrod (about two inches long) clamped in a pair of vice-grips is a great way to clear out dried CA from a fine tipped bottle without widening the hole in the bottle.

Just don't hold the bottle directly under the tip as you perform this procedure. I did this, and as I tried to push the rod into the tip of the bottle, it slipped, and proceeded to enter one side of my index finger and exit the other side. The worst part was realizing that I actually had to pull it out.

Fortunately, it missed the bone, fingernail and any nerves, but it still hurt like crazy!

Oh yeah, I agree...soldering irons are really hot, and result in nasty burns when you bump into them!
Fortunatly it missed the bottle too! That would have been fun pulling a CAd in pushrod out of your finger.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by Tucson Don View Post
If breaking circuit between battery and motor requires heavy duty device--
what about breaking circuit with switch between recieiver and ESC. That is
small gage wire and lower voltage. Anyone got ideas on this.? It is
an important safety issue.
Tucson Don
Why would you want to?!!! That'd be the same as hooking up an ESC with no reciever to control it.

Quick Reply: Just a word to remind us all about safety.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15175 seconds with 12 queries