I am done building quads!! for at least a few months..LOL! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

UAV / FPV Forum to talk about UAV / FPV electric R/C flight.

I am done building quads!! for at least a few months..LOL!

Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Default I am done building quads!! for at least a few months..LOL!

Oh man, It's dizzying building quads today. I love building and soldering the PDB to FC and motors to the 4 ESC's.....ect..ect..and programing on Beta Flight. Finishing a 250 later today.

So whats my problem? New flight controllers are being developed so fast that now the cost of a 3[or 4 in one,OSD] in one board is $40 to $70 and that includes the PDB with built in 30amp ESC's and F-4 flight controler with OSD programing!!!! Where I now am soldering together many things will be reduced to one simple board.

When these bords first developed ,they were expensive and if a sigle function broke ,you lost the whole board.....but $40.00, DUDE!!! Thats incredible. Thats the price of ESC"S alone if you buy 4 cheap ones.

SO I'm done building after my 5th racing quad sometime this weekend and will not build another for at least a a few months till the next new design comes out...lol, I believe it will be a flight controler that reads our minds and does what we think. After that, I believe they will be able to fly into other dimensions where no restrictions on flying them apply.....
Old 07-22-2017, 03:34 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Be strong Stu! Nothing wrong with remaining a bit behind the "cutting edge". Saves quite a bit of $$$. I have people asking me when I'm buying one of those 4K televisions. No need. My eyes are only 720p!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:38 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Stu.......nothing at all negative about taking a break from builds, especially while the technology continues to up-grade and accelerate so quickly.

I did the same while I was into heli's........seemed no sooner than I completed another model, a month would go by and damn near everything mechanical I had just installed had been offered up-graded....and cheaper. Only the newer gyros and servos seemed to keep up with my building pace, which was becoming more frequent due to demand (about every six months or so).......!

The current pace of heli development has slowed down quite a bit due to the other types of multi-rotor popularity......seems only the FBL stuff has progressed exponentially.

Besides, taking a building break relieves stress and allows new ideas and fresh thought processes to expand ones horizons.......and time to enjoy other life treasures.......
Old 07-22-2017, 05:05 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

All great advice...I was mostly kidding around with the post...lol. I love building and soldering those tiny lil pins or direct soldering parts together. to me ,it's so relaxing that i could spend hours planning out how to, and then build. I also love watching videos on the new stuff coming out.

The quad I have on the table is using the Omnibuse f3 control board that has a built in OSD. This is a newer board and also has been upgraded to f4 already.

My design for this 250 quad is for stability rather than speed. It will still be pretty fast on 4cell but the goal is to us 2200mah 40c zippy 3cells and throttle management to prolong flights. Need to soft mount the motors to reduce motor oscillation and vibration. I'll post a few pictures of it later when i finish the chore list around the yard. Not planing on flying today as its hot and no real breeze to keep cool.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:44 AM
AlenJk

Can you list all of your build logs and build steps? You'd better show some pictures, video is better, I'm very interesting with your quad.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Heck no!!!!!I would be to embarrassed how much I spend in money and time on Rc over the last 10 years.

Do a search of my past threads here at Wattflyer and you'll see my many build logs and such. My days of posting build threads are going to be very limited these days. it's no longer priority. life is more than rc and my flying time is weekend warrior stuff.

Sorry if this sounds like a cop-out or not helpful..... just is what it is.seriouly, i have six pages of posting here at watt flyer. plenty of builds like the Sig Hog , the great planes RV-4 40, Sig smith mini, Bird of Time, ect..ect.
Also many posts of quad building and information shared between others here at WF. Over at RCG i shared the Tarot 650 sport build using the Tarot zyx-m fc. quite the story behind that build with many others using the same flight controler. other than that, i have build 2 250 quads, 3 210mm quads and purchased a few ready to fly quads that stunk . if you see a thread I'v done and have a question, by all means ask. I'll be glad to help. As for now...time for bed. gotta work in the morning.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by AlenJk View Post
Can you list all of your build logs and build steps? You'd better show some pictures, video is better, I'm very interesting with your quad.
Welcome AlenJk........Where exactly is Dubin, CA.......?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I know how you feel Tobydogs ... truly...
I started by building KK2.1.5 on 450 quads. Then I got to the point where nothing more could be done with them.
Along came the Naze and woohoo, new life and promises of wonderful things but after I inadvertantly blew up a couple of $70 boards with momentary shorts I became disheartened.
Then there was the job I did for a council where my quad went out of control and crashed. Very embarrassing. It seems it plain just lost its program in mid air...
So I gave it up and recently heard about iNav and f3 and f4 boards etc and yes, an F7 is in the wind.
Damn, I am still waiting for my GPS for my F3 and I just know I won't bother fitting it to that. I will have to order a F7 grrrr
On top of all that I found my new FC wont operate with my old ESCs so I had to buy all new ones although I managed to SimonK some that work in the meantime.
And then I had to change my motors as they would not run properly with the new FC either. Really? I thought a brushless motor was a brushless motor. It sems NOT.
One problem after another...
I feel like buying another foamie instead.. (but I wont)

The GOOD news is I have managed to sell an old quad (with a KK2.1.5) to someone who specifically wanted a 450 as he had seen one flying. Yep, I got $200 for it. Beat that.
There is some new HD FPV gear just released for $250 so that sale will help fund that.
And to think that price is less than half what HD gear has been selling for. Advances everywhere, almost impossible to keep up with it all. At least the pricing is going the right way. As you say, it is dizzying.
Meantime I will go fly my new biplane....