Too hot to fly? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Too hot to fly?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Default Too hot to fly?

Was out flying today and it's in the 90's and humid. Got in a few good flights then set my radio down to change props on one of the planes and it wouldn't turn back on. Packed up, headed home, once the radio cooled off it turned on like normal. DX8 that I've had for a few years now.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Stay Quiet

It's been hot here as well, Don. Unusually hot. I took a parkflyer (Flite Test F-22) to my local park for a short flight, and was drenched by the time I landed. I decided to stay in the house with central AC and just do some CAD work on the Avenger.

It's supposed to return to normal temps next week. I switched over receivers in the Tigercub, so I'll be going to the club field to get all my trims reset on the new radio.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM
birdDog
Charging....

They certainly don't fly the same in this weather. I only bring out the low amp models so as not to let any magic smoke out or trash LiPos.

I'm at 520' above sea level but the local airport says that the density was around 2200'. EDFs have the most trouble staying in the air in this heat.

One member ever pulled up and asked if this was "High wing day" at the club.

Yesterday a member with a Jeti Duplex had his screen start blacking out. Yeah. That's too hot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude
Old 07-24-2017, 01:05 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

90's and humid here = staying home assembling a martian 250 quad. Test flight in the back yard today went fantastic. Best build of a quad to date.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:44 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

It's been 100+ and humid here, but I'm still getting a little flying in. This is the time of year for which I build some night fliers.

It's also the reason I never use hot glue on anything.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:56 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

90 is not hot. Here in TX we take off our sweaters when it hits 90, and roll up our sleeves when it hits 103 today.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Try rolling out of bed earlier......here in San Bernardino County, we RC'rs consider anything in the summer months, after 10:00am, time to pack it in and ready for the next days 6:00am start time......
Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Spend a monsoon season in Phoenix. You'll think you've got it good where you are.

Joe
Old 07-24-2017, 04:37 AM
F22trainer

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Spend a monsoon season in Phoenix. You'll think you've got it good where you are.

Joe
True that!
I figure this 3 month of hell will get me plenty of time to get at least 3, maybe 4 planes ready for the 'fall' flying weather!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:43 PM
formontoya

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
90 is not hot. Here in TX we take off our sweaters when it hits 90, and roll up our sleeves when it hits 103 today.
yea, below 70 is freezing...correct?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

This picture was from June 19. The outside sensor is mounted under my covered patio.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6-19-16 HOT! (002).JPG (1.11 MB, 176 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Yep.....I worked in Glendale and Prescott, AZ for little over a year.......why people "retire" there is beyond common sense to me......Even the winters are bitter and nasty at the lower elevations........unless, of course, you want to carry a gun around and play indoors 6 months out the year.....Spring and Fall are wonderful out of doors and lots of hunting and camping opportunities....and if a Baseball fan, lots of choices pretty cheap.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Stay Quiet

Good friends of mine retired to Phoenix area. He became ill, and was diagnosed with Valley Fever, something you evidently get from the dust out there.
Now they live in Florida, and only have to contend with huge snakes and alligators.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I moved here 15 years ago from San Diego (born there and lived all over North County). I went back once in 2006 for my son's wedding. I'll likely never go back to California again. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd stay in Arizona! The 2-3 months of monsoon is miserable but the rest of the year is heaven. That's why all the "snowbirds" move here for the winter. (Those snowbirds that can't frigging drive are a separate motorcycle rider issue that I won't go into here. ) Last winter the only time I wore a jacket was to keep my core warm when riding the motorcycle to work at 5:30am. The rest of the day I was in short sleeves. To me the cold here is "crisp", not at all uncomfortable.

It's not always a "dry" heat here. Especially right now. Knowing it's only another month or so makes it somewhat bearable though. Mid-late September or so will see me out flying again. For now it's like the people up north that get stuck inside and try to deal with winter and all the snow and cold. The difference is that here in monsoon season it's heat, rain and humidity instead of snow......

Hmmm. I did a proof read and it almost sounds like I work for the Arizona chamber of commerce!

Joe
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
Good friends of mine retired to Phoenix area. He became ill, and was diagnosed with Valley Fever, something you evidently get from the dust out there.
Now they live in Florida, and only have to contend with huge snakes and alligators.
I had a doctor explain Valley Fever to me several years back. Yes, very old mold spores are kicked up in the dust storms but to develop valley fever you pretty much have to be predisposed to problems that the type of fungi in the storms stir up. All that info is available to doctors and should be tested for BEFORE moving here. If you aren't "allergic" (for lack of a better term) to those spores then you'll never contract valley fever. I don't know what the exact rate of infection is but it's not like an epidemic.

Joe
Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Melting here as well. Taking every chance I can to get up in the mountains to beat the heat.

Just not much fun flying when you feel like you are standing in the oven.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

It's finally below 100 here --- thanks to the thunderstorms. :/
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 AM
Stay Quiet

Our heat wave is finally starting to break. Tomorrow's forecast is for a high temp of 84 degrees, with a max wind speed of 3 MPH.
Getting the batteries ready to charge!