New to Electric Flight: Watt Meter - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

New to Electric Flight: Watt Meter

Old 01-22-2020, 12:59 AM
dasintex

Default New to Electric Flight: Watt Meter

Thoroughly getting a wealth of info reading the different threads; seeing the great value in the use of a Watt Meter/Power Analyzer. Now I am overwhelmed with the choices of Watt Meter and range of operating Amps; do I just go for the gusto and get a high Amp meter like this one

Amazon Amazon

Thanks
Old 01-22-2020, 01:08 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

dasintex
That is exactly the type of Watt meter you will need. The maximum amps capability you need does depend on the size of the electric motor(s) in your plane but that particular one should more than adequate until until you are into big (and expensive) stuff.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:24 AM
dasintex

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
dasintex
That is exactly the type of Watt meter you will need. The maximum amps capability you need does depend on the size of the electric motor(s) in your plane but that particular one should more than adequate until until you are into big (and expensive) stuff.
So no issues in using a higher Amp Meter when measuring lower 60 amp stuff?

Appreciate the feedback; right now looking at a plane that uses 60amp ESC, but want the capability to expand if I go larger down the road.

Thanks.

Last edited by dasintex; 01-22-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 AM
dasintex

Default Watt Meter Use in Twin Motors

Maybe I could ask you a rookie question; I'm putting together a Twin Otter using a single large battery in fuselage and ESC's on each motor; do I put the Watt Meter between the Battery and the Y-Connector feeding the 2 ESC's, thus measuring the combined draw of both Motors; then testing them separately to determine proper Prop size, etc.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:20 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

dasintex
Correct again.
Measuring the amps before the Y lead gives you the maximum current that is drawn from the battery. As a very rough guide for a prop plane it is wise to keep the max amps to about 10 times the batteries 1 hour discharge rate. For example 2200 mAh (2.2 Ah) capacity battery has a 1 hour rate of 2.2 A or 22A at 10 times that. Note that at that rate it will discharge completely in 6 minutes but you should never fully discharge a LiPo. It wrecks it!
Measuring a motor independently determines that you not overloading the motor or more important its electronic speed controller (ESC). Motors can stand a considerable overload (100%?) for a few seconds without damage, an ESC cannot!
So it becomes a 'balancing act' to pick the right combination of battery size, ESC capacity and motor power to get the correct thrust for the plane at the lowest weight to achieve the duration you want. Remember any plane has a maximum practical 'all up' weight beyond which it will become difficult to fly (and easy to crash!) or likely to structurally fail.
With so many variables you can see why it is a good idea to at least start with a 'recommendation' for the specific model.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:17 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally it cost 200+ $
close out sale Hyperion Emeter II, with optical and electrical tach, servo tester, local&remote logging - RCG
Being able to measure RPM is important as well for setting up, tuning and troubleshooting

Without a watt-meter you are in the dark. Until something starts to glow

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 01-22-2020 at 09:33 PM.