The Chino Renegades RC Fliers Club - Page 216 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

The Chino Renegades RC Fliers Club

Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
OK, cool yeah I'd like to see what that one actually runs like.....try 2s then up it from there
I guess Chellie and Steve are getting good results from their cut down props.....maybe I missed something when I did mine?? Dunno.

--Ray
Hi Ray you dont want to cut the props to much, by cutting the props a little, yes you loose a little thrust, but gain it in pitch speed, by allowing the motor to rev up more, you dont need a lot of thrust to go fast, just pitch prop speed, but you do need enough thrust to over come drag, look at a 4.1 X 4.1 apc prop, its tiny but look at this, Hope that helps, Chellie

NAME: Surfer dude
SPEED: 104 MPH
PLANE: Speed Wing MKII
MOTOR: Turnigy 20mm 3500kv inrunner
ESC: Turnigy Plush 18 AMP
BATTERY: 3 cell 1000mah
PROP: 4.1x4.1 APCe
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

yea, When you cut them down, you loose alot of thrust, but when your already proped over 2:1 or 3:1 it doesn't matter...LOL

SK
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Mike
Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Got to love these Paper planes, made from Cardstock, Hmmmm wonder if we can get one to do 100MPH

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Last edited by CHELLIE; 04-30-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:02 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I Bet a thin spray coat of miniWax poly would make them strong enough to go 100MPH what do you think Ray
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I Bet a thin spray coat of miniWax poly would make them strong enough to go 100MPH what do you think Ray
hehe, what I think? WHAT I think??

(that phrase just sounds so cool........thanks Chellie )

Truthfully, my incontestable calculations say that the little monster will burst into flames at 99mph......darn, sooooo close! Maybe make it out of paper mache?

good morning

--Ray
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Hey Renegades, Went out to Inland Empire field and flew with those guys. They aint holdin no gripes against us. I apologized but they said no hard feelings. Flew the Yak, F-14 and Clik. Mario even told me nice flyin on the Clik flights. Bob got the H P Phantom that was lost by one of the Zagi flyers. And if you read this he is willing to give it back to ya.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 PM
APAW
Mike

Hi Chellie & Everyone,

My name is Mike and I design paper cardstock airplanes. Chellie has been kind enough to post them on Watt Flyer. We've been emailing back and forth and after reading the threads on some of her airplanes I decided to log in and start posting.

My business name will be APAW (Alaska Paper Airplane Werkes). A couple of years ago I signed up to Watt Flyer thinking I was ready to start posting some RC planes I've been working on.

A couple of things came up! I can't fly RC worth anything-not my airplanes or commercial bought ones! Buying the commercial ones has one advantage-more electronics for my paper ones.

Right after I signed up another project came to light, dropping evrything else to do some research I neglected my paper models and everything else in my life.

I was sitting in a IM testing station while my vehicle was being tested for the pollution it spat out. This is normally a 30-minute test and I picked up an issue of Car & Driver. In it was an arcticle on the 2004 Toyota Prius.

What got my attention was the 1450KV brushless motor they are using. Since reading this arcticle I've been researching ideas on how to build a full size single seat airplane. Solar panels, wind generators, batteries etc..

Last year I quit my job, moved to Idaho, went to a seminar on Finte Analysis, and tried buying a salvage title Prius. Boy did I chose the wrong time to try all of this.

To make a long story short, I'm now 2-years behind schedule and falling more behind by the day. My money didn't last as long as I thought, my idea for construction was bad, although the instructor, for the finte analysis class, liked my propulsion idea very much.

My mother is in poor health and that is one reason I came to Idaho. I've been looking for work and have a few resumes out. To make some money while looking for work, I decided to update my models and try selling some on eBay. That is how I met Chellie and her airplanes!

I've read thru the posts about her 6ft Bipe and other planes as well. I like what I've seen and decided to join in. So here I am.

This is a very impressive group of talent!

Now I have two forums that will take my time from model designing/building. A great group of fellow papermodelers hang out at papermodelers dot com. I've been posting there since joining last week-an older forum that I used to frequent, changed owners and went downhill fast so I've been looking for a new home.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions about my planes you might have. None of the RC have flown very successfully for very long. My freeflight gliders are big and do survive quite nicely.

I've been looking on the paper group for a RC pilot to help. Nobody has come forward yet, but then I met Chellie!

Chellie mentioned by doing a post on this renegade thread that I would be a lifetime member...Well heres the post!

Mike Bauer
Old 04-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Welcome Mike, I for one have looked at your web site and like Chellie am interrested in your designs. I have used 4 different kinds of foam to build scratch built models but never paper. In your opinion why would "card stock" be a superior material to the foam we are so familliar with?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
hehe, what I think? WHAT I think??

(that phrase just sounds so cool........thanks Chellie )

Truthfully, my incontestable calculations say that the little monster will burst into flames at 99mph......darn, sooooo close! Maybe make it out of paper mache?

good morning

--Ray
That would be neet bursting into flames huh, at about 100mph
Old 04-30-2009, 01:48 AM
APAW
Mike

Hi Alpea,

Thank you for the interest!

Bought some 1mm & 0.5mm depron foam awhile back to do these models with. It was way to fragile. To form into a circle is impossible without some heat. By itself the foam "crinkled" and broke.

One of the challenges I had was a 5" Dia x 4ft long round fuselage. It was easier for me to stick with paper than invest in more money for tooling to get the depron to do what I wanted.

I noticed that the 9mm Chellie uses is quite stronger. I also notice that most of it is used as flat plate.

Paper has more elastic than the foam. It is cheaper and more durable. I've had models nose straight in from 25' AGL and make another flight before going to repair it!

The big cost associated with it is the ink from printing with an inkjet printer. A big SR71 can eat up about $18 in ink.

The models I build are not to scale although I try to keep them close. I watched the foam model SR71 you posted earlier on another thread. It looked like the flate plate. The ones out of paper can use symmetrical airfoil shapes. Anything else and it is difficult to do them without major internal bracing.

I've attached 2-photos. I don't know if they will let me post them yet, if they don't I'll try again later with an edit! After meeting the required 3-posts.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Moment of Impact1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	99938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moment of Impact2-Still Flies.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	99939  
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Welcome To The Renegades Mike you are Now a Honorary Life time Member, You can check out, but you can never leave yes Wattflyers is a Great Forum, Lots and Lots of very Talented people here, and The Renegades are a bunch of Sweet Hearts, They Even put up with Me We Have a lot of fun Here, always doing or trying different things, Hope we all can promote your Paper Planes, Its new and different, and if they can be designed to be built quick, that will draw a lot of interest, most people would rather fly than build, and a quick building plane is the key, Take care and have fun, Chellie

from post #1

The Chino Renegades RC Fliers Club
Hi Everyone Here are a few of the members of the Chino Renegades RC Fliers Club, this Club is a loose Club, no Dues, no Bi Laws, no elections, no nothing Just post here and you automatically become a Member , We are Just a bunch of Party Animals, that meet every weekend to have Fun, and Fly what you brought, Eat Pizza, have a smoke or two, enjoy a Soda, and Chat, its Fun for the Whole family, that is if the wifey wants to go I think a BBQ next weekend would be nice, I will have to Meet and Confer with the other members on that Ok here are a few of the Club Members, in no Special order, because no one Here is Special Except the Kids LOL
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thats a very Nice looking Bird Mike, it will look nicer doing 100MPH

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi AL, whats new with you
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
APAW
Mike

Hi Chellie,

It takes time to cut these out and then build. My earlier ones took even more time, but I've learned different ways to speed them up.

One thing that can be done is to get a die-cutting printer that will do most of the cutting. It is around $1200, just can't justify it yet!

Thank you for you support with these!

I sent you an email to let you know about the shippment of your model and also asking more about your motors and how you plan to mount/use them.

Mike
Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Except the Kids

you guys seemed to have strayed a little bit....
Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by APAW View Post
Hi Chellie,

It takes time to cut these out and then build. My earlier ones took even more time, but I've learned different ways to speed them up.

One thing that can be done is to get a die-cutting printer that will do most of the cutting. It is around $1200, just can't justify it yet!

Thank you for you support with these!

I sent you an email to let you know about the shippment of your model and also asking more about your motors and how you plan to mount/use them.

Mike
Hi Mike, I plan on using a pusher configuration, the 1800kv motor i know will work, but i am not sure on the 3500kv, as i need a little more info on the size and weight of the jet, the 1800kv motor just uses a 3/8" x3/8" wood stick for a mount, the 3500kv motor can be mounted with a stick mount or other type of mounts, here is a motor mounting thread i started, to help give people a better idea on how to mount motors, I made that thread, because i at first was having trouble trying to find a way to mount motors, there are a lot of ways to mount motors i found out, so I figured it will help others too, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

Last edited by CHELLIE; 04-30-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Renegades....

Tuff Looking plane donked nose first into the grass.... Looks like fun...

Weight is the only issue that comes to mind for Planes built out of cardstock... but there are ways to compensate...

SK
Old 04-30-2009, 03:46 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I can't fly RC worth anything-not my airplanes or commercial bought ones!
One thing comes to mind.... you need a USB sim for your computer...
http://www.nitroplanes.com/e4chflsitrki.html

Cheap, Easy, and Will help your flying immensely...

SK
Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
One thing comes to mind.... you need a USB sim for your computer...
http://www.nitroplanes.com/e4chflsitrki.html

Cheap, Easy, and Will help your flying immensely...

SK
And a Slow Stick http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHUDosAbW6A

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SLOWSTICKPIC1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	99941  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 04-30-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Steve get ready to Maiden a 100Mph Paper SR71 soon LOL
Ok the first few flights will be slower, about 75 MPH with a 1800kv motor, to check out how it flies first I need to get my 72" w/s P51D Mustang done soon, that should be fun, I owe you a Dinner Steve, Sizzler has a special, Steak and Lobster for $14.99, how does Friday sound for Sizzler Take care, Chellie
Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Sounds good Chellie....

any idea how much that sr71 weighs?

SK
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
Sounds good Chellie....

any idea how much that sr71 weighs?

SK
Not sure yet Steve on the weight, have to check with Mike on that, Paper jets sure sound interesting huh this should be fun, Mike has a lot of neet designs, I hope the Paper Plane market takes off for Mike, That would be nice, I can see that building with paper, that you can build in more detail on a plane, This will be my first Paper plane build, so it should be interesting, and I am Relying on all of You Renegades to bail me out if i run into a problem If the weight is not to much, I may get a 3500KV turnigy inrunner for a 100MPH run, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Hey Ray, I finally got that 2800kv emax motor in, weight without the base is 36.4grams, and the weight of the other one with the bullets connected is 42.6grams...

So I'm guessing its prob pretty much the same....

SK

Quick Reply: The Chino Renegades RC Fliers Club

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10324 seconds with 16 queries