New Twin design for Scratch Build #3 - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

New Twin design for Scratch Build #3

Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thanks Guys,
I hope to be able to finish it up this time around. I'd like to be able to take it to SEFF with two or three others I hope to have finished up by then. However since I'm making plans...

It feels good to be working on this one again and posting about it's progress even if I'll be 5 or 6 months behind schedule getting it finished :o

Good to hear from you James. How have you been doing?

Gramps, you keep trying to hold that water back and you'll be in worse shape than me

CC, Thanks for the film, I thought that I sent you an email telling you it had arrived. I'm trying out a webmail acct. that's new to me and I may not be doing everything just right yet. Did the payment make it to you?

I too hope that the rest of the covering comes out as well as the tail feathers did and that the contrast is good in the air too. We should know in about a week or two how that will turn out. I should be able to post some more progress pictures by Monday if'n the creek don't rise & Gramps water doesn't break

BTW, thanks for all the Well Wishes also. Hopefully it'll be quite awhile before I go thru any of that mess again.

Here's hoping everyone is staying warm and the rest of ya'll has good flying weather

Standing By,
SJ
Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've been doing good, busy chasing these kids around. It's good to hear you are feeling better.

I know I am sick and tired of winter already . Being the sun worshiper that I am all this cold just does nothing for my moral.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I've been doing good, busy chasing these kids around. It's good to hear you are feeling better.

I know I am sick and tired of winter already . Being the sun worshiper that I am all this cold just does nothing for my moral.

The only kids we willingly chase around these days are the grandkids & they're loads of fun. We have a 4th one due in April so she better get here in early April so as not to make me miss SEFF this year

I'm sure it's the same for ya'll up North of us but were setting record lows & are having the coldest/wettest winter in over 20 years, some 50 yr. old records have fallen as well according to a small town TV station close to us. I can sure feel it in my bones too. So far we've dodged any frozen/broken pipes in both houses thank goodness. We did come close to having the bathroom throne pipe freezing up on us but I just barely caught it in time. So far this morning it's gotten down to 24*, the low yesterday morning was 19* according to my outside unit & that pipe is on the North end of the house. Hoping that the rest of ya'll came thru this Arctic Blast in as good a shape as we did
Now why did I just mention all that , because it means that I can spend all of the my time building my RC planes instead of being under the house laying in the cold mud repairing broken pipes is why

Standing By,
SJ
Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Talking Chokin' on balsa dust

Haven't taken any photos yet but I am making some good headway
Made a big change to the cockpit & canopy so watch for that change. The fuselage is nearly finished being sheeted & I have lots more sanding to do yet, cough cough
I will have to make another nose cone for it also as I made the 2nd one too small too. Maybe I'll get it right on the third try :o

I'm real happy though with the way the mechanical retracts turned out. I can't stop playing with 'em though

Standing By,
SJ
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Third time's the charm there buddy. You sound like me I can't wait to hook up the servos and make things come alive don't go wearing out those retracts playing with them John.

Sounds good John get this done, and you will be ready for the next build competition coming up in the spring.

John
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Third time's the charm there buddy. You sound like me I can't wait to hook up the servos and make things come alive don't go wearing out those retracts playing with them John.

Sounds good John get this done, and you will be ready for the next build competition coming up in the spring.

John

"3rd times a charm" is something that I've heard all my life & I've yet to prove it to myself. Just imagine if that was true though, we could really screw up bad two times before we did anything right just to have fun

No more build competitions for me, too many things get in my way and as you & everyone else knows, I'm slow enough already

Standing By,
SJ
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Red face Me & some progress pictures finally

I'm sure glad that I'm not trying to make a living at building these RC model planes.
I would have starved to death by now :o

I had a "Review" by the Social Security Administration last week and so I took my latest Tower Hobbies catalog with me to look at while waiting for my "review" and he asked me about why I'd brought along a catalog to look at. No good news can come from those things IMO & this one was no exception as I'm now about $100 a month poorer The guy who did the review really needs to get a life other than being so suspicious of everyone. He tried just about every way he could to trip me up & make me say that I earned a living or at least made some money from building model planes. He couldn't believe that a person could spend so much time building the models & not profit from it other than the enjoyment I get from building & flying them Poor man would've really been confused had I told him that I had crashed 3 planes the day before the "review"
At first I got mad but after thinking about it more I've decided that I feel sorta sorry for the man. I guess he doesn't have a "hobby" other than being suspicious of everything he's told & then thinking up ways to word something to trip people up. So don't take any type of reading material to a SSI review unless you want to be grilled about our relaxing hobby

Okay, enough of the depressing stuff.
As promised weeks ago...:o Here's some progress pictures and even a couple of Rare shots of my mug

I'm getting to the point of where I'm almost constantly thinking about how I want to finish it. Should I paint it or should I go ahead and do the extra work & cover it with the film? Both require that I hurry up and make up my mind as to how I want to "trim" the fuselage. I didn't even think that the tail-feathers would be such a hard act to follow

Standing By,
SJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slick_Twin_nose,canopy_closeups001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	119142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slick_Twin_nose,canopy_closeups002.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	119143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slick_Twin_nose,canopy_closeups003.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	119144   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_at_Glen's_II_1.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	119145   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST_at_Glen's_II_2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	119146  

Last edited by Slowjohn; 01-26-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Thumbs up Looks Great!

Slowjohn,

I must say this is the sexiest plane I have seen. I am glad you are still working on it. I just re-read the entire thread and even the thread over on RcGroups that you mentioned. It seems that this build is really an amazing journey.

I love the colors you started on as well. My first car was green and gold, the colors at the college I went to were green and gold.... Most of the model cars I built growing up were metallic green.....

I am nowhere near the craftsman you are or a lot of the other builders here at WattFlyer are, but I am finally trying my first plan build. A small "Pocket Rocket" plane that pd1 sent me the plans for. I am finding it a long but rewarding process as well. Maybe someday I'll get up the courage to try building a small sexy twin myself.

I can't wait to see your plane finished and hear a flight report! Keep up the good work!

Steve
Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

SJ nice to have a face to go along with the name. Ya you set yourself up for a hard act to follow with the nice cover job on the tail feathers. Get the iron fired up and get er done. Now we are all expecting greatness for the rest of the finish on this sleek looking twin.
Look's great SJ.
John
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Talking

Wow, Thanks A Lot guys!!!

Sorry for the late reply but as usual whenever I get into my building groove on this one...
The rest of the world needs me
I am having more fun with it this time around and the little hills aren't near as difficult to to get over or around.

slabuta,
Looking forward to seeing you progress in this hobby. I would think that the best thing I can tell you at this point is to remember to have fun while your learning. If you run into a problem building and you can't seem to make something do what you want...put it to the side for a bit and ask some questions. Just ask gramps2161 (John)...he's come a heck of a long ways just in the short time he's been asking questions here To tell the truth, so have I . Glad too that you like the colors I'm using. When I first started thinking about this build so long ago the color scheme was about the first thing I decided on IIRC. I'm still wrestling with the design but I always have that problem till I start covering and then it just happens.
Hope you do well with Paul's "Pocket Rocket", you can learn plenty there.
On building a Twin, I can't stress enough the importance of having a good stable airframe for a first twin and one of the best I can think of is to bash a "Ugly Stik" type of airframe into a twin. PM me if you'd like to know more or whenever your ready.

Hey John,
Man what can I say...you've sure been a source of inspiration & I hope I can finish it to ya'lls expectations. Even my wife seems to be wanting me to finish this one up so I can rest my mind some. I do believe that I'm going to build a few kits next instead of scratch building another itch Lots to be said for having pictures, drawings & written words such as instructions to go by when building one
Thanks again for the kind words everyone

Standing By,
SJ
Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Hi John,
Looks great. Looking forward to seeing this one in person at SEFF.
Paul
Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Wow, thats really Looking Nice John, Gee, I dont know who is cuter, you or the Plane Your going to have to give me a couple of days to figure that one out Just Kidding Take Care, Chellie

Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Talking

WOW!!! Thanks Chellie, You made my day big time

I'd have to vote for the plane though knowing myself the way I do
Take Care & stay Safe.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
All American

SJ,

That's a fantastic looking airplane! You are truly a designer / builder extraordinaire.

Except for the twin motors, it reminds me a bit of my first aerobatic RC plane the RC Nobler. I wish I hadn't crashed that one :o

The framework of your wing looks very stout. I just read this entire build thread today and I must have missed it, what are your reasons for doing a fully sheeted wing?

Regards,
Anthony
Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

She looks great! I bet it's going to be real smooth with that nice long tail. Can't wait to see her fly.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

how has it been flying? any aerial videos or photos?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

:o Well...it's still not finished

I got stumped on what I was wanting to do and I didn't like how it was turning out. Then I got aggravated working on it and getting nowhere fast so it got shelved for a rest

I have been thinking on it quite a bit lately though so I'm thinking I'll start back on it in the near future It has been a bit of a tough build for me for some reason but I will finish it someday.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

ok.
im anxious to see how it goes. good luck building it
Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

info

Originally Posted by All American View Post
SJ,

That's a fantastic looking airplane! You are truly a designer / builder extraordinaire.

Except for the twin motors, it reminds me a bit of my first aerobatic RC plane the RC Nobler. I wish I hadn't crashed that one :o

The framework of your wing looks very stout. I just read this entire build thread today and I must have missed it, what are your reasons for doing a fully sheeted wing?

Regards,
Anthony

Howdy Anthony,
First off my apologies for forgetting that I owed you a response here for your question and a heartfelt Thanks for your compliments. Must be those brain cells I abused back in the late 60's & 70's are finally dying off making me forgetful

As I told young Ben, this one has given me a hard time for some reason. I think that it could be I wanted this one to be perfect in every aspect and I've been too hard on myself or too picky building it. That's the main reason for the fully sheeted wing, to hide some ugliness and also I wanted the strength & puncture resistance. We don't have a field with a nice flat, wide, long runway so sometimes if we blow a landing there's a good chance of getting into some tough stemmed weeds or even small Mesquite bushes/trees. The later can really tear up a nice covering job as you can imagine. We have a nice 100 acre field to fly at but we haven't been able to secure permission to put in a runway yet, even a temporary one.

I've considered building a Nobler several times and I gave it plenty of thought to building one for the contest but as we all know, I decided on this one. Hopefully after I finish the current batch of 4 ARF's that I'm working on I'll get back to the Twin with a better mind set towards finishing it
If only I weren't so darn picky about every little thing on it...:o
What am I saying, this one has to be...almost perfect

TDisaster,
Thanks as well to you to & sorry for the long overdue reply also.
Ya'll take care & stay safe while I try to finish it up

Standing By,
SJ

Last edited by Slowjohn; 05-25-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: fixed my early morning uh-oh's
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Well since I strolled down memory lane on another thread figure I would pull this up and see if my friend SJ has done anything with this.

So what say ya John have you done anything with this beauty or not. Love to see it finished.

Standing by.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Good to hear from you Gramps & yes I've just recently started back working on this one again. As usual as soon as I started back working on it something happened that I didn't need to, an electrical Gremlin showed up in the fuel system on my Aircraft Carrier Van That's the way this build has gone for me so I sure hope all the bad luck is happening during the build so that it'll all be used up by the time the maiden occurs
What I'm doing at this time doesn't show much from photos that I've already posted so for now there's nothing new to show. I finally decided on the color & trim scheme for the fuselage that'll work with what I did on the tail-feathers. I'm hoping to start covering the fuselage & wings by this weekend. I'm working on installing the motor nacelles at this time. I was going to attempt to build the nacelles so that they'd be removable but finally gave up on that idea as I would of had to tear up part of what I've already built and I'm to the point that I don't want any more delays due to redesigning something that's not a "have to".
I'll post some more photos as soon as I get some color on her

Standing By,
SJ
Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
All American

SJ,

I'm glad to see you're back in action. The old saying applies to you, "You can't put a good man down".

Your Friend,

Anthony
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thanks Anthony,

Going back down again today. Here in about 3 hours or so they'll be getting me ready to do some plumbing in my right leg. Wish they'd do both at one time & get it over with. Oh Well

Been doing some of those task still that don't really show any progress on my Twin build. Still haven't found the electrical gremlin that's shut my van down either
Hopefully after they finish up with all the plumbing they're going to do to me I'll have the strength & stamina to carry on like I'd like to.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Keep on Truck'in Brother John! bubsteve
Old 09-15-2010, 06:05 PM
All American

Good luck buddy and God Speed on your recovery.

Best Regards,

Anthony

Quick Reply: New Twin design for Scratch Build #3

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10953 seconds with 20 queries