Green Models 50" Tiger Moth Conversion - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Green Models 50" Tiger Moth Conversion

Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 PM
msfitoy

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
I thought I'd drop in and give my report on my version of this 50" Green Models Tiggy. This is Hobby Lobby's all silver one and was setup for electric as it came. Even so it was a frustrating and difficult one to get together, mainly cause the manual even with the included addenda for the electric version still was not refering to the version in the box.
But even though it was a long tough battle with it, once done it did turn out to be a very pleasing aircraft to fly, and got some very nice complements from fellow club members. Especially my spotter who stood by me on the maiden flight, who was simply in awe of it's grace and beauty in the air.
The pikot figure used on these first two test flights was "Clyde", an Eflite figure used in my Eflite Stearman.(I use velcro to attach him so he can go from plane to plane.) But I have a 12" figure on order that I will be using just his head on a shaped foam block for the cockpit, and then returning his head to the body for display in the pits.

The nice included instrument panels, and nice Rx power switch location already provided for and labeled on the forward cockpit's panel.

Proudly parked between my other two planes in the day's lineup.

And lastly the RAF pilot on his way to me now who will be taking over flight duty.
Awesome Moth...tell me about the instrument panel you used? Thanks!
Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 AM
export!

Got the email notification that this thread got some action. I've flown my green/yellow version probably 30 times and it is hands down an awesome plane. I absolutely love it. At a recent flyin I flew it with a large Fokker tripe and a Camel bipe and they looked awesome in the air together. It was the highlight of the trip.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:19 PM
spad

Export, I have one in the box-how hard is it too assemble, as I've seen various opinions?

Your power system?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM
msfitoy

I just got mine but there's no instructions in the box...is this normal?
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
export!

You should have instructions - I looked and cannot find mine.

Spad, it's not that hard to build. The rigging and pull-pull is kinda fiddly but that's just time - not really difficult. I would use full size servos for the rudder and elevator as they will drop right into the cutouts without modification. I used 9gram servos for the ailerons and have had excellent flights.

As for power I use;

TR 35-42D 1000kv motor
2x2200mAh 3S in parallel
MAS 11x6 wooden prop
I think the ESC is a Turnigy Plush 40A
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 PM
spad

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM
spad

Originally Posted by msfitoy View Post
I just got mine but there's no instructions in the box...is this normal?
Well, maybe HL can provide a pdf.

If you can't find them, anywhere, I could probably photocopy or scan them for you, but it'll take some time: I have boxes hidden all over the house (or so I think) and it'll take time to find this one!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
msfitoy

Originally Posted by spad View Post

If you can't find them, anywhere, I could probably photocopy or scan them for you, but it'll take some time: I have boxes hidden all over the house (or so I think) and it'll take time to find this one!
I contacted them and they do not have a pdf online

I hate to have you take so much time to scan them but I do appreciate the offer...I'll contact the seller and see if they can help...
Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
millen

I am waiting to get my Tiger Moth. I have bought the 50'' EP Red/silver version from JP models (made by Green Models). I am realy eager to get it in the air.
On the site jperkinsdistribution it is possible to download a manual for the 120'' size moth.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
millen

For som reason I am not allowed to post a link but it is jperkinsdistribution with ".co.uk" in the end. Of course I ment the 78'' size moth.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Twmaster

Millen, Welcome to Wattflyer. Due to the large amount of spam we get here new members are required to post 5 useful posts before they can post links.

Thanks for the pointers to that dealer in the UK.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
millen

My plan is to do some ”kit bashing” and make it as scale as possible with as little effort as possible.
I am planning to start by ading oil tank, aerometer (speed meter), additional wiring, pitot tubes, scale fuel tank with the corrugated look. I suppose the wind shields have to be replaced as well. The first thing I have done is the speed meter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aerometer.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	135468  

Last edited by millen; 11-02-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 PM
msfitoy

Originally Posted by spad View Post

Hi Spad...looks like I'm coming up empty...the vendor doesn't have it so I wonder if I can take up your offer? But instead of you spending time to scan, etc...would you be ok with mailing the manual to me so I can make a copy then send back to you right away (I pay postage both ways of course)?

On another note...I discovered a tear on one of the elevators...like a bad novice, I trimmed the damaged piece out and tried to re-cover the area with disasterous results...is anyone here expert enough to re-cover the damaged area for me? Of course I would pay for your time/services...just name your price...I can post a pic later...
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM
millen

Thumbs up

Finally, I have got my Moth. So far I have only examined the parts for damages but everything seems to be OK. My kit has a new little feature. The cowling has a little hatch where you can access the battery from the front of the plane. The kit includes items for IC or electric and the battery bay and motor mount for electric motor has to be installed. This is already prepared so you will screw them in place.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
export!

Apparently Hobby Lobby is getting a new colour scheme in. They told me it's a camo scheme and should be available by Dec/Jan.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
millen

I have read about problems with the wiring. No wonder, as constructed it is not possible to tension the wires with the supplied devices, the wires will twist.. Apparently they used to have a swivelling connector but now it is a fixt aluminium connector. I have now cut away the heavy solid brass part and soldered a swivelling connector so it will be easy to set the tension in all the wires. By the way, the manual is not very good, hardly possible to use.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 PM
millen

My moth is nearly ready for maiden. Winter is almost here so I might have to wait until spring. I have been busy with other things so the build has been slow. I will be back later.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 AM
export!

Ah you'll find a nice crisp day to maiden her. And yes, the manual is not the greatest. It would not be fun to build if you didn't have a few ARFs and even better a few pull-pull setups under your belt.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM
spudandcat

Default My old girl still cruising around

Here's some cap cam footage of my old Tiggy. she doesn't really like the breeze, but she still flys great, turnigy 35-42 1200 kv and 4A 3S batt. with a 10x5 prop.
[media]http://vimeo.com/21836456[/media]
seeyas spud
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 AM
millen

Default Maiden jump

Today I went for the maiden flight or rather tried to. My field is a narrow one and the Moth went over the edge after a few meters. At that moment I had (in my opinion) flight speed but the Moth made a short jump and then went back to the ground. The wheel axle snapped of and the moth went on its nose. The steel must have been pretty brittle. Nothing else was damaged, not even a scratch on the propeller. Now I have to construct a new gear.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
millen

Default Silver solder does the trick.

The gear is as good as new. I soldered the axis right back with silver solder. I suppose the heat will have softened the steel but as brittle as it was I suppose that is no harm. Now it is windy but I will try again when the weather is calm. Probably I will trim a bit up elevator before next flight.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
spad

I have one in a box-how hard is this thing to assemble?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM
millen

Default Moth assembly

My opinion is that is as easy to put together as an average ARF. Almost no glue needed. The manual is quite bad but if you have done any ARF before it should not be to tricky. On the other hand, who am I to have an opinion, my Moth has not flown yet.

Last edited by millen; 05-08-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 AM
wolfewinde

Hi Guys,

I am just finishing the build on my Hobby Lobby 50" Moth. Have had this one for a few years, but never finished the build. Lost the manual somewhere along the way and a few of the parts - nothing critical - replaced those at the LHS today - just some bolts mostly.

Will be using a HiMax 350 watt motor on 4s 3300 mah 30C lipos. Using standard servos for elevator and rudder and HiTec 81's for the ailerons.

Have the fuse assembled and all of those electronics installed. Lower wing is assembled and attached.with the aileron servos installed and tested. Really just need to ad the spars, upper wing and guide wires - those will be fun no doubt - then probably fiddle with the rudder/elevator wires some more. Should have her ready to maiden in a couple of days.

Any of you guys know what the CG is supposed to be set at? And are any of you still flying one of these?

Wolfe
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 AM
wolfewinde

Well mine is ready to Maiden. BUT I still don't know what the CG is supposed to be set at. Anyone Know?

Wolfe

Quick Reply: Green Models 50" Tiger Moth Conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.09070 seconds with 12 queries