Electric Quickie 500; competition is alive in the Netherlands - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Electric Quickie 500; competition is alive in the Netherlands

Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
HugoW

Default Electric Quickie 500; competition is alive in the Netherlands

Hi,

as I am in the progress of designing and building an EQ500, I looked around the forum here and found amazingly little info. I did find this:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ht=quickie+500
But not much more. So I thought I'd share some info with you. In the Netherlands we are bound by very stringent noise rules, so no Nelsons. The IC guys fly with Irvine .39 engines. So the rule-makers found two motors, the Turnigy 5045 890kv and the Scorpion Z4020 915kv. Max 5S lipo permitted. With these rules, the E-guys and IC guys fly identical speeds, and pilot skills give the benefit. So we fly together! More competitors, more fun. Most people fly with ARFs like the Grand Chellem or the Viper, we are not allowed to use molded wings / tail. So everything is wood and foam. This all gives a competitive field.

My plane is in the making, and I scratchbuild in the famous TLAR method. I will use the Turnigy motor, a 80A Turnigy Plush ESC and 5S4000 20C Zippy packs. The major benefit of making my own plane, besides the fact that is is a lot of fun, is that I can make it for electric from the start. Not convert a IC plane. This means I will stretch the nose a little longer for easier CG, and I will arrange for cooling through the fuse, to keep the ESC and batteries cool. I'm going to pre-heat my packs to about 40 degrees C before the start for better performance and longer battery life. The packs might cool down a bit during flight (I will measure) but the one heat is about one minute, so that won't be a big influence.

Anyway, if you have something to add about electric Quickie 500s, please do!

Cheers,

Hugo