Looking for rpm programmable ESC - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Looking for rpm programmable ESC

Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
HugoW

Default Looking for rpm programmable ESC

Hi

To pilot race in the eq500 class, I need an esc with fixed top rpm. I would like to be able to program the esc linear to half throttle, and top rpm for the second half. So both rpm and curve need to be programmable. Which esc can i use? I could do the throttle curve on the Tx, maybe, but the top rpm isa fixed number (I believe 14k).

Cheers,

Hugo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

How many Amps does the Governor ESC need to be ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1178282

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

http://photoshipone.com/shop/index.p...index&cPath=28
Old 10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Taking normal governed ESC's ... as used in some helis ... the RPM is fixed usually not as a user infinitely settable variable ... but as fixed steps ... therefore needing the Tx Throttle curve still to decide on actual RPM desired.

So what I would do with a governed ESC is select the next RPM step UP from desired ... and then Tx curve would bring it down to the desired Max (checking with a tacho of course) ... the intermediate points on the curve down to zero would then give the desired effect you look for by setting them accordingly.

I've never seen an ESC that can have RPM setting truly variable ... but then again I haven't seen a lot of things ...
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
HugoW

Default Re: Looking for rpm programmable ESC

Oh, it needs to be 70 amps or more, I now use a 100 amp cheap Himodel esc. I found Castle Creations to be programmable, but expensive and out of stock everywhere.

Hugo

Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

5 to 12 cell lipo cells, 70 amp

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

2 to 6 cell lipos 80 amps

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

2 to 6 cell lipos 85 Amps

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_5A_SBEC.html
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM
HugoW

Default Re: Looking for rpm programmable ESC

Thanks Chellie. Unfortunately, all those have no programmable top rpm number. I'll keep searching.

Cheers,

Hugo

Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Hugo,

It's a pretty tall order to find an ESC that'll do what you want. AFAIK, Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's are the only ones available with this kind of capability. Even then, the governor is designed for heli's not planes:

From the Castle Link Software v3.251:

Simple Governor Mode:
Simple governor mode is designed to be the easiest to use out of the box. You simply throttle up as if you were in ‘Heli-Fixed’ mode. The throttle stick is directly controlling the power to the motor, and NOT specifying rpm. Once you get to your desired rpm, leave the stick at that position for 1.5 seconds and the ESC will ‘lock’ onto that RPM. If you move the throttle, the head-speed will change accordingly. The only drawback to this mode is you do not know your exact head-speed.

Governor Low:
Governor low translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 10,000 to 64,000. Note that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the ‘Desired Head Speed’ inputs below. If governor low does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor high and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Governor High:
Governor high translates the throttle input to a pre defined head-speed. This mode will allow the motor to be governed at ELECTRICAL RPMs from 50,000 to 210,000. Note, that electrical rpm is the RPM seen by the controller -- before taking into account gearing and motor type. You can determine what throttle value you will need for a desired head-speed by using the ‘Desired Head Speed’ inputs below. If governor high does not provide the speed you desire, switch to governor low and work your way up through the throttle until you achieve the desired speed.

Set RPM Governor Mode:
Fixed RPM will allow you to set 3 distinct head speeds that you would like to use. Simply enter the head speed and some vehicle setup information and Castle-Link will do all of the work to set up the controller for you. The first head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.1ms and 1.5ms (up to 50% throttle). The middle head speed is used for throttle inputs between 1.5ms and 2.0ms (between 50% and 99% throttle). The last head speed is used for throttle inputs greater than 2.0ms (greater than 99% throttle).

solentlife described how a typical governor on other types of ESC's work. It's specifically designed for heli's to maintain constant rotor head speed regardless of load. It could be adapted to a plane, but once again it's not really meant to used in the manner you are looking for.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 10-28-2011 at 07:10 PM.