Balancing act... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Balancing act...

Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM
HugoW

Default Balancing act...

Hi,
I might be reinventing the wheel, here, if so please point me in the right direction. I have (had) many planes with brushless outrunners, with props on them (really?, yes!) and most with a spinner, too. Now I balance my props, but that's not all that is rotating. Would in make sense to make a balancer on which you can balance the entire outrunner bell, prop mounting stuff, spinner and prop? I have some ideas about this, but I probably won't be the first with this idea. Please shoot if you have a good idea on how to do this.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 04-10-2013, 05:07 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Well, you're not entirely crazy, since I have heard it done. I just wouldn't know how. Of course, all those folks might be crazy, too!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM
CNY_Dave

Run the motor up to full rpm with no prop (you said brushless, right?) and see how much vibration there is across the RPM range. No or little vibration, no reason to balance better than it already is.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The motor bells are factory balanced. If you want to balance one you have to disassemble the motor.

You are far more likely to need to balance a spinner than an outrunner motor bell from a factory made motor.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
The motor bells are factory balanced.
Somehow I suspect that is just not true for inexpensive Chinese motors. Where the 'break/price point' is, I have no idea. I know the old Tower Pro bells were frequently so bad I did balance them.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 PM
HugoW

Thanks for the input. My idea is to disassemble the motor, and put the can and axle unit on a modified prop balancer. If this is indeed balanced, I can add the prop and balance the combination by sanding the prop. Last, I add the spinner. If the lot is then out of balance, I know the spinner is and balance that while fitted.

The idea is to use such a balancer:

and put the entire bell (sticker removed) on there instead of the axle carrying the prop.

By the way, the object is not really to balance the bell, which is very well balancer from the factory in most cases, but especially to balance the spinner. Mounting the lot onto the bell gives me insight in the spinner balance, I don't know any other way to do that.

Hugo
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
dgjessing

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Mounting the lot onto the bell gives me insight in the spinner balance, I don't know any other way to do that.

Hugo
Dummy shaft (a machine screw to match the motor shaft)?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

2 (matched height) glasses, music wire, 2 wheel collars, 1 O-ring.

Music wire so its length can counterbalance the spinner.

Mount the spinner backplate to the music wire using the 2 wheel collars and "squishing" the O-ring in with it.

Set the wire across the top of 2 glasses It will roll to heavy side of the backplate down.

Balance the backplate.

Add the spinner cone.

Balance the spinner.

With the Great Planes magnetic prop balancer... you can balance your prop nut.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Hi,
I might be reinventing the wheel, here, if so please point me in the right direction. I have (had) many planes with brushless outrunners, with props on them (really?, yes!) and most with a spinner, too. Now I balance my props, but that's not all that is rotating. Would in make sense to make a balancer on which you can balance the entire outrunner bell, prop mounting stuff, spinner and prop? I have some ideas about this, but I probably won't be the first with this idea. Please shoot if you have a good idea on how to do this.

Cheers,

Hugo
As indicated above, one thing to check, run your motor at full RPM without anything on the prop shaft. There should be absolutely zero vibration. If there is noticeable vibration with no prop/spinner, I'd return the motor to the supplier.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I just found this link over on Flitetest's youtube channel... Someone uses old broken motors to balance props. This way you could also mount a spinner...

This is something I plan on trying out.

Steve

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Judpr8ILo[/media]