OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :) - Page 58 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Sorry man I lost my Slick not long ago.... Hard to live without it! Mine was not salvaged.
Yeah, a life without a Slick is not a full life. I totaled my 51" Slick at the NJ FLI two weekends ago. Luckily the 3DHS trailer of goodness was right there so I could pick up a new air frame. I'm putting the finishing touches on that one now. The 71" is next in line for my workbench.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

dang,it's been a rough day.sorry to here your day was a bit rough,it could have been more like mine.tried getting as many flights in this morning as the afternoon and night were parties to attend with my wife.

I've been practicing my inverted flying on the 540t edge[49inchws] and really getting comfortable,to comfortable.

I'm light years behind ya njs on flying skills and today i practiced large figure 8's inverted,then flew down to the end of the field still inverted for a wide slow turn but bled off my altitude and also got in line with the flight line. i chose to roll out too low and destroyed the edge today. a right move would have been to apply power and more down elevator to rocket back up. i have a bunch of aerobatic moves down pat but want to get inverted to be as second nature as flying upright.....it's going to cost me if i want to get better skils...lol.[funny how much easier it is on the simulator]

if all i did was lazy rolls,variouse 8's, and loops i truly believe a plane might live forever. but then wheres the challenge? thats what i love about this hobby,a little like any sports game....we want to win and some times loose.but ya gotta play to win!

i already have the replacement edge on the table do to and ordering mixup my better half made for me ....lifes good sometimes in wierd ways.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

New name, same dog! How ya' doin' Stu? You're not behind me the slightest bit. I know how to bang the sticks, but I couldn't do clean inverted 8s to save my life. My altitude would be all over the place and my brain would be fried from dealing with the control reversal. It's just different flying styles and I admire the guys who can do nice and clean patterns like you.

Sorry to hear about your Edge! I'm still trying to get use the the fact that crashing and p*ssing away a small fortune on replacement parts is all part of the hobby. Today when I smacked up the only plane I brought to the field after 2 minutes of flying, I was literally ready to call it quits.

But she will be repaired and flown (and likely crashed) again...
Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
My 3DHS 71" Slick took a dirt nap today. In the most stupid way possible.

I got to the field right before our club meeting and started setting up the plane. Before I could take off, I was called to the meeting. 90 minutes of excruciating club meeting later, I was eager to fly, popped in the Anderson connectors and took off... Some slow harriers, a hover, then a full throttle pass with a wall and a pop top. Then... nothing! No power, no control! The plane entered an inverted flat spin and hit the runway. The cause was that I had forgotten to tighten the battery strap and the batteries shifted and came disconnected.

Lesson learned: If you ever get interrupted in your setup routine, start it over from the beginning and don't assume ANYTHING when you go back to flying the plane.

The good news are that it's fixable. Minor damage to the rudder and a messed up motor box. Some popsicle sticks and a bit of covering and she'll fly again. But my ego is forever dented after such a stupid and unnecessary crash.
Yeah
A few weeks ago, a fellow club member was flying his electric foamie jet, when it suddenly got really squirrely. He just barely got it back in one piece. That battery pack also was not securely fastened, and slid back several inches.

Worst one I've seen, is where the battery fell out of the model. That model was so tail heavy, it spun down like a maple seed. No damage to the model, but the battery pack was in the corn field, and was never found.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

it's going to be hard to quit with collecting so many different type planes.this hobby is an addiction and started with kit builds....now I've got the arf bug and it's going to cost me if i don't slow down.

just for kicks i p/u a AK/Richmodels extra to throw the motor,esc,and misc hardware from the slick into,she going to be crazy powerful. i believe the expiration date is going to be soon on that one.still needs finishing touches but the edge come first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 153.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	170032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 155.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	170033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 154.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	170035  
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crash3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	170089  
Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

The video says it all. Dont know what happened except for a case of dumb thumbs I suppose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFap9...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Whoops! How bad's the damage?

I managed to drop my Funbat right on the motor, on asphalt, not once but twice while attempting vertical take-offs in too much wind. Just ordered a new motor.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Whoops! How bad's the damage?

I managed to drop my Funbat right on the motor, on asphalt, not once but twice while attempting vertical take-offs in too much wind. Just ordered a new motor.
Not bad I just needed to glue her back up in some spots and replace a control horn. Need to clean the mud off the front end and out of the motor and mount. Check all servos are still operating and she will be Good to Go (GTG)

Ouch Mark. I think it was just one of those days
Old 08-01-2013, 03:36 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Glad it's repairable. Could not tell what happened watching the vid. At 65 mph, the wings looked like they were flexing alot but I'm sure it's designed that way. Seemed like everthing was going good, then ? A mosquito bite you ? BTW, I like your mini telemetry device.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 AM
1geo1
George

aliens stole 1 helicopter motor screw today- no damage except to my neighbors lettuce patch, they did not speak english, only itallian. After 20 minutes with a lot of crazy gestures I said " help yourself to the oranges from my tree !". All of a sudden I was invited in and had a nice itallion dinner and conversation- in english- LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

LOL 1geo1 that is a great way to get some serious pasta, and it only caused a motor screw and some oranges.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by 1geo1 View Post
aliens stole 1 helicopter motor screw today- no damage except to my neighbors lettuce patch, they did not speak english, only itallian. After 20 minutes with a lot of crazy gestures I said " help yourself to the oranges from my tree !". All of a sudden I was invited in and had a nice itallion dinner and conversation- in english- LOL
Try growing a moustache for next time you crash there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhuOicPFZY
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Try growing a moustache for next time you crash there:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JhuOicPFZY[/media]

Thats perfect NJS LOL Now thats just plane funny
Old 08-02-2013, 01:58 PM
hkeelljr

Default Gamma 370

Tuesday morning thought I'd fly my Gamma after a month or two off from flying. Got everything ready,or so I thought, walked over to where I fly and hooked up the batt. Checked the controls everything good. Rev'ed her up gave her a toss and here we go! What's wrong with this thing, don't want to fly steady or level checked my tx, the trims were way off. Sorted out the trims sorted out but by this time it was more the pilot who needed trimming out. Anyway flew a circuit of the field and the only way to describe the sound is that of craft paper being torn when it hit the tree. The fuse, motor and wing continued to the ground the tail stayed in the tree. Luckly did not tear up the wing. But the landing gear and the hatch support are gone, but found the hatch cover for the batt. Got off light this time glued the tail back on and should be back to the wild blue yonder!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Man - two short flights, both ending in crashes both resulting in snapped wings. Not my day, I guess.

The first one was a maiden and not (entirely) my fault; the second one was the result of screwing around at stall speed, 5 feet off the ground, in gusty winds. That one, I own completely.

Last edited by mclarkson; 08-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Crashed my new F9F Panther this morning. The maiden flight was great. Was a little difficult due the sun in my eyes but hardly needed any trim at all. Set-up was good. But on the second flight, I did something really stupid. I offered my buddy Jason to fly it. He hand launched it and I took it around a few times. Then, I passed the TX to him on the 3rd pass. Jason's an experienced pilot but as I handed it to him, he inadvertently chopped the throttle and she stalled at about 60ft agl, almost directly overhead. Could have recovered but he suddenly gave her full throttle and straight in she went. Whamo ! Good for Nascar fans...

Compression damage is repairable. Already gave her the boiling water/cold spoon treatment. I should have her back together today. Note to self: Don't pass a TX while flying. Someone could get confused.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Ahh man Hawk I know the feeling. Glad she is fixable. I must admit I hate it when someone asks or wants me to fly their plane. I don't like the feeling when I bring someone else's plane down so I am constantly saying "are you sure"
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Earlier today, my new F9F Panther was in about 5 pieces. Some 5 min epoxy, some paint and now she has just the right amount of petina- LOL Ready to return to the flight light line for her next sortie.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:40 PM
GaryJ

I don't see the do not feed the animals sign
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

What's up with the cage?

Also, tell me more about the cold spoon.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Mark,

Have this dog cage and after the repair I decided to place the F9F in there as she was acting like a "Caged Panther"- LOL- Shoot, I knew someone would ask. - LOL

After bringing back the epo foam with boiling water, I take a big cold spoon that I've had in the fridge for several minutes and rub the newly formed alligator skin with the backside. Works nicely to eliminate the bubbling effect you get from the boiling treatment.

-Hawk
Old 08-04-2013, 03:24 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I thought maybe it was to protect it from rampaging raccoons or something.

I thought the cold spoon was something like that. I fixed my Radian once with boiling water and and it popped out in some serious alligator skin.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Earlier today, my new F9F Panther was in about 5 pieces. Some 5 min epoxy, some paint and now she has just the right amount of petina- LOL Ready to return to the flight light line for her next sortie.

That looks awesome - I can't believe you rebuilt that! It was pretty mess up that is fantastic work.

Sorry I was not more social yesterday - my mind was elsewhere. I went over to ask what happened and you guys were talking about the "hand off" that did not go as planned. I thought the sun got you....

At any rate I am getting the VisionAire dialed in. The little Archer was fun but it didn't like our long grass and the wind was a bit much.

At any rate - impressive that you got this one fixed - I am in awe!

Mike
Old 08-04-2013, 03:28 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Mike,
I really enjoyed watching you maiden the Visionnaire and put her through the paces. She's a beaute !

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16055 seconds with 17 queries