Going to the darkside... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Going to the darkside...

Old 12-29-2015, 11:46 PM
hkeelljr

Default Going to the darkside...

After flying a nitro ringmaster back in Sept or Oct over at the Valley R/C Flyers, the c/l bug bit me kinda hard, so I've started on a ringmaster, it might be the start of something, might not, but back in the mid-seventies my Grandfather gave me on seperate Christmas' a P-51 and a PT-19. After flying the ringmaster the huge grin on my face told I really needed to build me one. Anyway, I can always convert it to electric if needed. Hope everyone has a SAFE, BLESSED AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The E-conversion for CL is simple now...a small timer circuit plugs to the ESC instead of an RX. Push a button and you have XX seconds (plenty of time) to get to the center and pick up the handle before the motor starts.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Can remember making many a spin back in the day flying Testors and Cox CL planes. Vowed never to fly IC planes again after messing with those things!
Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Dollar store yourself some foamboard and build a AmosMoses and some line With a throttle it's a hole new ballgame, I flew um back in the late 50's early 60's then again in 69-70,, fun stuff Still bubsteve
Attached Images
Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 AM
Bald Paul

There are some CL guys that use modified car radios as CL handles, and just toss a Rx in the plane connected to the ESC for throttle control. June 2015 Model Aviation has an article on building a throttle control system that feeds the signals through the control lines themselves (I'm still trying to figure out how that works, because I'm getting interested in electric CL carrier.)

I like the idea of a controlled throttle more than the timers, for one main reason - I don't know (yet) how long I can spin in a circle without getting dizzy. With a timer, you have to ride it out. With throttle control, you can chop throttle and land when you want (or have) to.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I wouldn't call it the dark side. I have a couple glow planes and actually enjoy flying them short of the cost of the fuel...
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
There are some CL guys that use modified car radios as CL handles, and just toss a Rx in the plane connected to the ESC for throttle control. June 2015 Model Aviation has an article on building a throttle control system that feeds the signals through the control lines themselves (I'm still trying to figure out how that works, because I'm getting interested in electric CL carrier.)

I like the idea of a controlled throttle more than the timers, for one main reason - I don't know (yet) how long I can spin in a circle without getting dizzy. With a timer, you have to ride it out. With throttle control, you can chop throttle and land when you want (or have) to.

Digital signal through the metal CL lines has been around a long time.

Simplified version of how its done:
Tap into the TX at the same point the RF module would plug into the module type TX. There is a similar point in the RX between the RF receiving and signal decoding. Then one (or both) of the control lines is insulated.

The real trick is finding the correct points for tapping in.

As for how long you can fly without getting dizzy... you train yourself to watch the plane and it becomes more a question of how long you can hold the handle before your hand fatigue forces you to quit. (don't use a white knuckle death grip or it won't be long)
Old 12-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Digital signal through the metal CL lines has been around a long time.

Simplified version of how its done:
Tap into the TX at the same point the RF module would plug into the module type TX. There is a similar point in the RX between the RF receiving and signal decoding. Then one (or both) of the control lines is insulated.

The real trick is finding the correct points for tapping in.
The MA article shows you how to build a 'signal generator' that is tiny (I think it was about 8 grams) and made with just a few inexpensive components. The main items are a common 555 timer chip, and a potentiometer acting as the throttle trigger. No radio required. If I were going to use a radio (which may still be an option) 2.4ghz throttle control is legal, so there's no reason to worry about insulated lines. Car radios are cheap (brand new, with Rx, for about $35 on eBay) but they are heavier, and if your hand starts to drop, well, you know how that will end.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:01 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
The MA article shows you how to build a 'signal generator' that is tiny (I think it was about 8 grams) and made with just a few inexpensive components. The main items are a common 555 timer chip, and a potentiometer acting as the throttle trigger. No radio required. If I were going to use a radio (which may still be an option) 2.4ghz throttle control is legal, so there's no reason to worry about insulated lines. Car radios are cheap (brand new, with Rx, for about $35 on eBay) but they are heavier, and if your hand starts to drop, well, you know how that will end.

A major part of the weight is the battery. (especially for the radios using 8 cell AA in the TX) Clip the battery to your belt and run a wire to the radio, adapting the charge jack to being the plug-in for the battery.
Don't forget a clip and tie a loop in the wire to take the wire strain off the plug...

Or adapt the TX (in a modified/custom case) to clip to your belt and just run the leads needed to the handle for the pots mounted to the handle. You need heavier wire than the OEM to the pots in the TX doing it this way, but you have minimum weight in the handle. Trim is still done at the TX. (less wire connections to the handle)

Several approaches are possible.

I'm not sure of official AMA and FAI contest rules now... It used to be required that there be no radio transmitter RF board for the CL models. I believe this was to allow closer proximity of CL circles to the RC flight line at multi-discipline events when we were using 72 mhz. Thus everyone using servos in the CL models used the insulated lines to get the "signal" from the handle out to the aircraft.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:14 PM
hkeelljr

Default Ringmaster

Getting oh so close to being finished with my Ringmaster. Yes I know this is an electric form, but just thought I'd share a photo of what I built. The fin was just stuck on for effect. Enjoy and HAPPY FOURTH of JULY![ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0701161536.jpg (79.6 KB, 312 views)
Old 07-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Bald Paul

I'm going to be building a Circus Prince (electric powered) in the near future. I just finished up a dollar store foam CL bipe, using a small park flyer Rx and my transmitter attached to my belt (still working on that detail) and hope to be flying in circles sometime next week.