First Control Line in a long, LONG time! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

First Control Line in a long, LONG time!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Bald Paul

Default First Control Line in a long, LONG time!

With the impending demise of our club field, and prospects for a new flying site not going very well, I've been considering a switch from RC back to CL. The local ball fields are large enough for flying in a circle, and are pretty much unused during the day when school is in session.

I just ordered a Brodak control line kit (Flying Clown) along with the electric conversion (basically a motor mount and battery box to replace the glow mount, and necessary motor, ESC, and timer.) I may eventually modify a 2.4ghz car radio for handle/throttle control, and replace the timer with one of my Rx units.

I'll try to remember to do a build log on the kit, which should be fairly simple with a profile fuselage.

I haven't flown CL since I was a kid - that was a while ago - so initial "flight testing" will be more of a test of my ability not to get dizzy than the airworthiness of the plane.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 PM
park
Clear !

I was going to say, I would probably fall over after about three times around!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by park View Post
I was going to say, I would probably fall over after about three times around!
LOL! I'm trying to figure out how many loops I can do before the lines get too tangled up.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 AM
park
Clear !

Please post your progress, had some good memories of CL.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by park View Post
Please post your progress, had some good memories of CL.
Kit should be arriving sometime early next week. I have a "honey do" project I've been working on that needs to be finished first, and then I'll get onto the build.

In the meantime, this is one of my first flights ever! I'm the little kid holding the plane. My older brother is teaching me to fly, and Dad (who scratch built the plane - the original Snafuey) is running the movie camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OilLTkZBY8E
Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

You can convert most RC models to tethered flight if you have a place you can sink the center anchor pole.

Slow light models it can be pretty light and anchored with 3 tent stakes/guy wires so it pulls up easily
Heavy/big models would need something set in concrete.

Similarly the bigger the model the bigger the circle.

Not sure if they are still making them. A company was making micros where you plopped the weighted center anchor on your carpet in your living room.

For a typical .19 glow CL model after 5 loops you needed to go to outside loops to unwind because the controls were getting sluggish.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
A company was making micros where you plopped the weighted center anchor on your carpet in your living room.
That would definitely not end well with my four dogs.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:29 PM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
Kit should be arriving sometime early next week. I have a "honey do" project I've been working on that needs to be finished first, and then I'll get onto the build.

In the meantime, this is one of my first flights ever! I'm the little kid holding the plane. My older brother is teaching me to fly, and Dad (who scratch built the plane - the original Snafuey) is running the movie camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OilLTkZBY8E
That gave me a lump in my throat
Old 07-30-2016, 09:06 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The video brought back memories. I also got the model flying bug from my father with control line.

Good luck with the flying. I'm sure you won't have any problem with dizziness, it never bothered me. The trick I think is to just to focus on the plane, not at the scenery whizzing by.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
abborgogna

I fly both RC and CL. The simplest way to avoid getting dizzy is to learn how to do a simple lazy eight. You can stand in one spot and do lazy eights for several minutes. Every time you add a new stunt you make the flight more interesting and more fun. Control line is not like RC, but it's the differences that make CL fun. I also recommend you go electric, the quickest way to get thrown out of a park is t fire up a glow engine. As for controllers I recommend the ZTW and Castle Thunderbird products and for timers (they replace the receiver) I recommend the KR timer from RSM distribution. Anyway good luck and have fun.