Servo or receiver problem? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo or receiver problem?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 AM
Davjed

Default Servo or receiver problem?

Setting up a newly built kit and having a problem with the elevator servo. Using a servo tester/centering device I centered the Tower Pro servo and attached the arm. However, on installing the servo and plugging it into Power Up elevator slot the arm swings and locks in the extreme up position. There is no way adjust the arm into a position that will correct this. Anyone had a similar experience or some suggestion to correct it and center the servo arm. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Computer radio? If yes, clear model memory.

if that's not it... try a different servo in the same channel. If it behaves the same its the RX or TX... if it behaves differently its the servo.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:46 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Is the plug right way around in RX ... usually nothing will happen if wrong but I have had some servos that do strange things.

Have you got servo plugged into the right slot ? If plugged into throttle slot or if split elevator servos and its the slave one - maybe a line of programming is there.

As other guy says - first test after checking plugs etc. - is to plug a different servo in and see what happens.

If the servo tester operates the servo properly - then its unlikely servo is at fault.

Out if interest - what radio system you using ?

Nigel
Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Davjed

Spektrum Dx6i. HZ says it may be a defective gimbal in the transmitter that needs to be returned for repair. However, I have other planes programmed into it that don't have this problem.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Test one of the other planes again....

I have an older radio (not Spektrum) that the maker had to recall a whole production run because the factory ran the wires from the gimbals wrong and the gimbals were cutting the wires inside the transmitter.
Simple fix but caused a lot of people to lose planes when the gimbal cut the wire while the plane was in the air.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 PM
pd1
Still Learning

If you remove the arm off the servo, does the servo still lock up?
Sometimes the servo is not centered when shipped and you might have installed the arm in a place it shouldn't be. If the servo centers correctly after the arm is removed then all you have to do is re install the arm after the servo is centered.
If the servo just keeps running in one direction after the arm is removed, then you probably have a defective servo.
Do you have another servo to try so you can rule out the transmitter?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Davjed

PROBLEM SOLVED: HZ suggested checking the monitor screen for excessive signal to that channel. I did so an it showed an elevated input to that one channel. I then checked three other planes stored in the transmitter which did not show any elevated input. Knowing that, I reset and deleted that model from the transmitter, then re-entered it using the same settings as before. Problem solved and I've proceeded with the build. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Its funny you found that. One of my models has a quirky aileron setup that for the life of me defies all checks.

Both ailerons give full movement stick one way, but stick other way - I only get about 60% movement on both. I can find no reason in the programming at all - I use er9x - but will be deleting and re-entering the model as you did. Sometimes its only way. Luckily all my models are stored on my computer as well - and I keep not only latest setups but also previous ones of each model. That way I can step back easily if any need.

Nigel
Old 08-03-2016, 04:31 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Actually... its more common than you might expect for a model memory that has never been used to not have the sub trims centered. (among other programming settings NOT being cleared properly)

ALWAYS when setting up a new model, in a never used before or previously used memory slot.... CLEAR the model memory.

I have seen a lot of issues that would have been avoided if the people had just cleared the memory first when setting up their models.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Good advice Huber............

When I first purchased the DX6i the LHS rep reminded me of that twice.......only forgot once after about a year when I had made physical changes to the ailerons on the Tiger Moth and re-programmed the TX to add an additional Tiger Moth 2 to a new channel.........took me a few frustrating flights and craft inspections to realize I had not cleared the new channel memory prior to the changes.........kept "defaulting" back to the pre-set functions.

At least that issue has now stuck in this old brain......"knock-on-wood".......!