Near-Mis with Full-Size Plane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Near-Mis with Full-Size Plane

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Crash9
www.FPVpilot.com

Default Near-Mis with Full-Size Plane

Look at what some did. These are the type of stupid people that ruin it for the rest of us. I hope he see's lots of Jail-time for it and lots of slippery soap. Can't imagine why someone would risk so many lives to make video. Maybe there should be an IQ test before buying RC aircraft.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=137095

Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep I suspect he will be in Jail for a bit. Initial reports showed that he HIT the aircraft.

One of the Heli forums in AUS got the video before it was pulled from Facebook/YouTube and it was at the same altitude and estimated to be about 30m from the airplane. The wake and engine turbulence actually broke the airplane wing.

Amazingly the guy had his name under his canopy (like a good modeler) and they police have tracked him down and charged him! The local clubs or heli group helped police track the guy down...

Don't know if he will see jail time but should. In AUS (unlike the US) you must NOT fly within 5.5km of an airport. In the US you can fly within 3 miles if you have permission from the airport. I know this as the club side in SLC was within a MILE of the SLC international airport - we had permission and used to have to talk to them when they took smaller planes out of the normal pattern and flew them above our field at 1k feet or less! It was a requirement to fly with a spotter there - we were more worried more about full scale traffic!

Anyway - what a foolish act - one thing like this could destroy the hobby forever.

Mike
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Where is the video???
Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
park
Clear !

That's not good........
Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Wow, what a crazy guy. I suspect the video will surface again, nothing is sacred on the internet.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Where is the video???
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=137095
Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

What an absolute moron. Imagine had that model gotten into the intake, and the Lipo exploded........
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

It's the Jackass TV mentality that's infecting our youth
Old 04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
It's the Jackass TV mentality that's infecting our youth
Kinda, but not really. The real spirit of the "Jackass" never involves risk, injury or insult to any bystander. Today's Jackass is in it for the fun, but never participates in an activity that risks anyone else.

I watched the video, and when you add the Top Gun soundtrack, it seemed to promote even more of a careless attitude to me. The whole idea of tracking, chasing, and risking collision with a full scale aircraft is just ludicrous.

Having the dog chase the takeoff is yet another clip proof of stupidity.

(I'm a dog lover, but dogs DO NOT BELONG around RC planes. Even if your dog is the most obidient dog in the world, other pilots dont like them walking around their planes)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
DragonWeezel

Honestly, I watched the video, it looks like the guy misjudged his hieght, probably a noob w/ a cheap cam. "Jetwash" spun his plane bad in the video. I didn't even see the plane till it was past him (about 100 yds out, still too close) but it's just some idiot who had no clue how to fly, judge distance, or value his model. maybe he has no depth perception? I'm just trying to be fair here, wreckless yes, throw the guy to the wolves? not enough info yet... (at least for me).

I allways see small planes coming in low over the park I fly at (Not near an airfield), and many people fly there. It's amazing they haven't struck a plane, they come right over the treeline. The park in question is at the top of a large hill, and they SCRAPE over it all the time. Little chance to react to that, but R/C planes are so much more maneuverable it wouldnt' matter. Hell 1/2 of us here probably have a stryker that goes faster than most cessna's. 8')

I have to agree w/ Nitro re: the dog in the picture. It looks like he's flying from a schoolyard though, not an AMA field.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

No excuse for flying that close to an aircraft that he OBVIOUSLY had to have seen and heard to be that close to. Anywhere within a half mile of a commercial jetliner, and YOU WILL KNOW exactly where they are because of the ear-shattering noise they make. The guy was flying in an area that was inexcusably close to full scale air traffic lanes.

That being said, I bet the FCO2 guys are none too happy to have their product advertised in this way.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

After reviewing the video the guy went up looking for trouble on purpose. There's simple no way he didn't know a jet was approaching his flight area. You can hear them coming for miles and he's flying on the glide slope of commercial airliners as they just don't appear out of nowhere. His recklessness was planned and I see it as nothing less than attempted murder on his part.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Kosh,

I agree, however I believe a Terrorism charge for attempting to down a jetliner would be appropriate too. Let HIM prove in court he had no intent.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Lord--PLEASE don't let it come to that. Can you imagine the knee-jerk legislation to follow in not only AUS, but the rest of the Western world also?

Helloooo, licensed Slow Stick.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yeah, knee-jerk reactions are usually the worst solutions to a problem......
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Oh yes my friends, we must not knee jerk.

Sure, I'd love him to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but luckily US law at least provides ample defense.

A public example, with vocal distain, exactly as this is, for you and I is plenty. We get to share it, talk about it, hate the guy or whatever, and ensure that no one that we know will ever act in the same way.

If it gets to homeland security we all better consider loving indoor flying.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Oh yes my friends, we must not knee jerk.

Sure, I'd love him to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but luckily US law at least provides ample defense.

A public example, with vocal distain, exactly as this is, for you and I is plenty. We get to share it, talk about it, hate the guy or whatever, and ensure that no one that we know will ever act in the same way.

If it gets to homeland security we all better consider loving indoor flying.
I hope it's a BIG indoors.....most of my planes need lots of space, more so when I fly them.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
I hope it's a BIG indoors.....most of my planes need lots of space, more so when I fly them.
If anyone hears an Obama aide mention this incident, be sure to let us all know so we can quickly shift some of our investments into micro-flyer manufacturers.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post

That being said, I bet the FCO2 guys are none too happy to have their product advertised in this way.

I'm suprised it worked long enough to capture the video
Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
FL Knifemaker
All I Need are Elevons

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
After reviewing the video the guy went up looking for trouble on purpose. There's simple no way he didn't know a jet was approaching his flight area. You can hear them coming for miles and he's flying on the glide slope of commercial airliners as they just don't appear out of nowhere. His recklessness was planned and I see it as nothing less than attempted murder on his part.
Exactly. Imagine how many people (innocent or otherwise) have been killed or injured by somone trying to capture Youtube material. Hold my beer.......watch this
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

There is a part of me that hope's he reads Wattflyer to see how reckless and stupid his actions truly are.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I was finally able to see the video at home. I was firewalled at work. All this time I'm wondering where the is that video....

Now after watching that......what a stupid move.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:29 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

First off, that looked like a brand new PZ corsair, bummer. Secon off is this quote "While the model plane is small, at 88cm long with a wingspan of 1m and weighing 850g, it is fitted with a hardsteel case motor that is 4.8cm wide and weighs 60g."
Sounds like he got an aluminum motor mount from karl hoyer.... more of the devestation
I had to laugh at this vid. who flies at a field that isn't AMA? that's what I wanna know.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

As you watched, He headed right for the plane and never attempted to break off even though he knew it was there. All I can say is he's lucky to be there and NOT here dangling on the end of a rope as you can still be hanged in this State.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
I had to laugh at this vid. who flies at a field that isn't AMA? that's what I wanna know.
Not to defend the moron who flew his plan close to a commercial airliner in the slightest, but on your point above, I have to disagree. While I enjoy flying at the couple AMA club fields in my area, I generally have the best times flying at the soccer field near my home. Of course, I only fly my park flyers there (save my balsa gas-conversion for somewhere with a runway--sod is too bumpy on landings and make me nose over), but given the choice of only one or the other, I'd go with my usually-empty soccer field.

Quick Reply: Near-Mis with Full-Size Plane

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10381 seconds with 12 queries