Yard Birds - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Yard Birds

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
wolfewinde

Default Yard Birds

Been raining off and on here all day, but not much wind.

So I have been flying my "Yard Birds" inb the front yard"- LOL - in between the rain drops and wind spurts.

Have had a Champ for a little while but just picked up an Ember 2 and Night Vapor and had not flown them yet.

Of the 3, I think the Night Vapor flys the slowest, then the Ember 2, then the Champ

I got into these looking for slow airplanes I could use to teach my grandkids to fly - but I may have to keep them LOL - too much fun.

Questions - How durable are these little planes and what other planes make good "Yard Birds" far a pretty small space?

Wolfe
Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi Wolfe
Theres many aircraft that fit your criteria
Heres but two of them
Check out the I.F.O
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg1IWMZ-Poo[/media]
http://www.wildrc.com/index.html
Also the Liteflite Bug
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGcaQzhh2o[/media]
http://www.lightflite.com/
Wonderful aircraft i set up the ifo as a night flyer
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Holy cow! Those are awesome birds, as slow as a Vapor but with full 3D capabilities. Tougher than a Vapor too (ask me how I know.....) Are they kits or built from plans?

On the Vapor I find the carbon rod construction is a great idea and really tough but the plastic joiners shatter on impact with a floor, road or tree trunk. Over grass they're okay, but the plane would be much better with a different material holding all the tough stuff together. All the same it is the slowest, so I'd use it for instruction over grass only.

The Champ is probably your best bet, followed by the Vapor with restrictions above and then the Ember with the same restrictions.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:16 AM
wolfewinde

Had the Vapor out after dark - pretty cool. Lost one of the LG though - hopefully I can find it in the morning.

Yeah Rockin, I can see the Vapor and the Ember being best over grass. And I can see them being slightly better for instruction since they are slower.

The Champ seems like the one that can take the most abuse, though. Will probably use that one the most for the grandkids. But I will let them fly all of them and see what shakes out.

Kench - Interesting videos - thanks for posting those - what electronics are in those planes?

Wolfe
Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Holy cow! Those are awesome birds, as slow as a Vapor but with full 3D capabilities. Tougher than a Vapor too (ask me how I know.....) Are they kits or built from plans?

On the Vapor I find the carbon rod construction is a great idea and really tough but the plastic joiners shatter on impact with a floor, road or tree trunk. Over grass they're okay, but the plane would be much better with a different material holding all the tough stuff together. All the same it is the slowest, so I'd use it for instruction over grass only.

The Champ is probably your best bet, followed by the Vapor with restrictions above and then the Ember with the same restrictions.
Hi
Mine are kits, posted the links in my previous post
There are many plans out there for similer type aircraft
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Had the Vapor out after dark - pretty cool. Lost one of the LG though - hopefully I can find it in the morning.

Yeah Rockin, I can see the Vapor and the Ember being best over grass. And I can see them being slightly better for instruction since they are slower.

The Champ seems like the one that can take the most abuse, though. Will probably use that one the most for the grandkids. But I will let them fly all of them and see what shakes out.

Kench - Interesting videos - thanks for posting those - what electronics are in those planes?

Wolfe
Hi Wolfe
Your most welcome
I used the manufacturers recommended power setups for each
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Uhhhhh,..... just doing some research here on the Bugs at LightFlite. "Due to its lightweight and design, this 17" MINI survives and exceeds all of the legendary "BUG" durability tests. You would have to run this thing over with your car to hurt it!"

I think if I were using the thing as a learner plane I'd use the 23" variety but darned if this thing doesn't look like it would be a better plane to learn with except for the fact that you have to build it. As long as you're okay with what looks like an easy building process (as easy or easier than a Slow Stick) I think it's one I'd rather have than a Vapor, and that's saying a lot in comparing it to my favorite micro plane!

LightFlite's website is a little 1990s, but to me that just adds to the fact that you are dealing with that plane's Daddy and he'll be there to help you if you have any problems.

Looks mighty good to me!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
wolfewinde

That "Bug" does look interesting, but I think I am set for now.

So far I have let the grandkids fly the Champ, the Ember 2, and locally designed and built Foamy high wing that I got for only 35 dollars.

They do OK on the mini's, but they actually seem to do a lot better on the foamy that has about a 38" wingspan. It flys pretty slow and is very well mannered and I have the throws set on the low rates so that they can't put it into a sudden dive no matter what they do.

Wolfe
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Yup, larger planes are easier to fly, there's no way to get around that. Little planes are buffeted so much that they can be quite difficult sometimes. They are also much twitchier because they have less mass.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 AM
wolfewinde

No wind to speak of tonight, so got out the Ember at dusk and the Vapor after it got dark. What fun just to step out the front door and fly in the neighborhood yards. Am using 150 mah batteries and getting around 1/2 hour flight time on both of these planes.

Wolfe
Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
Heres some more very fun aircraft
Do check out the Carbon Prime, the Carbon Traveler Convertable and the JSF (Jet Street Fighter)
They are simply marvelous aircraft for some backyard and indoors flying
http://www.acesim.com/rc/index.html
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Flywhat2
One hitch AE1 -- USN

Looking for inexpensive, slow fliers? Look at this one. Very simple, easy to build and fix. Wings and tail feathers are 3 mm foam. 24"ws 17 " long. This is second wing on mine. Plans found in winter 2010 issue of Park Pilot AMA mag for Park Pilot members.
Check out thread "Split Stick' for more details, flight reports.
Luck, Fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Small.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	150590  
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 AM
wolfewinde

Been getting pretty regular flights on the Ember 2 and the Night Vapor. It is fun to step out the door and fly.

Wolfe
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Honestd

Cool, have build on of these.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM
wolfewinde

Well one of my grandkids was visiting for about 10 days - Ian, 6 yrs old. His dad has flown with me a few years ago. Got them both out to the field a few times while they were here. Bryan, the dad, picked it back up after only a couple of batteries. Ian was flying quite well on the buddy box after about a dozen batteries.

Sent them home with a brand new Champ and the Ember 2. Ian successfully maidend the Champ the next day - no buddy box. So I am out a couple of planes but have a couple new pilots in the family. Pretty good trade off I would say.

I still have my Champ and the Night Vapor. Been getting quite few flights on those out in front of the house. I am thinking I will keep the Champ - too much fun to step out the door and fly that one, but will probably give the Night Vapor to one of the Grandkids. Might replace that with a UM T-28

Wolfe
Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 AM
wolfewinde

Decided to get a PZ Polecat for my next Yardbird. Hoping it won't be too fast to fly out in front of the house. Will bind it to my DX61 and tame it down to start. Put one on reserve at the LHS - should pick it up sometime this weekend probably.

Wolfe