Formosa II Servo Extensions - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Formosa II Servo Extensions

Old 03-04-2016, 03:44 PM
garyp1029

Default Formosa II Servo Extensions

Since the RCGroup Formosa II build thread has not been visited for 2 years I'm posting my question here. How long do the servo extensions have to be when locating the servos at the rear of the plane? Thanks. Gary
Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
Since the RCGroup Formosa II build thread has not been visited for 2 years I'm posting my question here. How long do the servo extensions have to be when locating the servos at the rear of the plane? Thanks. Gary
Its kinda of a measuring thing i guess they make them in many different lengths .measure from your reciever to where your going to mount your servo . You can make your own extentions but its faster just to buy some. joe
Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Tail heavy is the prob I had with Putting the servos under the tail as they set it up, I moved them under the canopy and used longer control rods,, control rod can be CF rods or medal, either way it's lighter the nose weights to ballance 18 grams of servos under the tail, ( tail weight to nose is about 7 to one!!! , have fun , their a HOOT to fly ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
petty_an_red_408.jpg (117.8 KB, 242 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Tail heavy is the prob I had with Putting the servos under the tail as they set it up, I moved them under the canopy and used longer control rods,, control rod can be CF rods or medal, either way it's lighter the nose weights to ballance 18 grams of servos under the tail, ( tail weight to nose is about 7 to one!!! , have fun , their a HOOT to fly ,
Have to agree here ... the Badius which is a copy of the Formosa has same balance issue. Even with servos under cockpit - it still needed weight in the nose.
In the end I gave up with tail dragger and converted to trike with Stinger U/C gear .. gave me nose wheel steering and perfect balance without adding useless weight.

My elevator and rudder control rods are piano wire in tubes through the fuselage.

But on the matter of extensions ........... I bought a reel of servo lead and I cut to fit. Usually I cut the servo lead itself leaving enough tail on plug and servo so I can splice in required length of extra. The plug gets spliced back on. I also have plug / socket kits with proper crimper if necessary. Tip : Never try to create a plug or socket without proper crimper ... I have the HK crimper and it works perfectly.

Nigel