Formosa II Servo Location - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Formosa II Servo Location

Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 PM
garyp1029

Default Formosa II Servo Location

Since no one has visited the Formosa II build thread in RCGroups for two years, I am posting this here in hope that someone who owns or has owned the Formosa II can answer my question. There was much discussion in the old thread about where to place the servos considering that the plane often came out tail heavy (there are pre-carved indentations in the rear of the fuselage for the servos). My question---Since my motor , a HeadsUp 480+, weighs 3.6 ozs (102 g) should the servos go in the rear or under the wing saddle? Gary
Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Simple...

Put the motor in.
Place the servos (and scrap pushrod wire to represent the pushrod weights) as close to where you think they should go as possible without cutting anything. (tape em on the sides or hold em with rubber bands or something) and find out if it will balance just by shifting the battery a bit.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:03 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I put mine over the wing in the Fuse, Flying it for a few year now, great fly'in plane
bubsteve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
petty an red 407.jpg (120.7 KB, 287 views)
petty an red 390.jpg (142.3 KB, 303 views)
petty_an_red_408.jpg (117.8 KB, 287 views)
Old 03-21-2016, 10:01 PM
garyp1029

Thanks FH and Steve. I will try the pre-build taped assembly which should provide a good idea of where to mount the servos. Steve, I noticed in your second image that your servos are mounted on their side. If mounted above the wing I think that is the only solution given the small amount of clearance. I am going to use a stick mount for the motor, so that should give me a little room for adjustment. I hope the II flies as good as my Formosa I. I read the whole Formosa II RCGroups thread and am aware of quite a few of the problems--battery placement, battery cover, weak landing gear, etc.--I will encounter. Gary
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by garyp1029 View Post
Thanks FH and Steve. I will try the pre-build taped assembly which should provide a good idea of where to mount the servos. Steve, I noticed in your second image that your servos are mounted on their side. If mounted above the wing I think that is the only solution given the small amount of clearance. I am going to use a stick mount for the motor, so that should give me a little room for adjustment. I hope the II flies as good as my Formosa I. I read the whole Formosa II RCGroups thread and am aware of quite a few of the problems--battery placement, battery cover, weak landing gear, etc.--I will encounter. Gary
Battery cover ain't gonna work,, I hogged mine out and glassed it but still just leave it off, I beefed up the gear as well, she'll still be tail heavy even with the servos up front , I've had 480's 450 and even 400 brushless motors in her,, 1800-2200 three cells, all good, made a clear cowl just for fun
bubsteve
Attached Images
SAM_1670_1.JPG (794.9 KB, 294 views)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:51 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

gary,

Here's the Formosa II thread: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...hlight=Formosa

Helped me a lot with things like servo location, how to make an easy access battery cabin, LG, other mods, etc. Miss my old Mosa ! For motors, I'd recommend the Turnigy SK3 1000kv.

-Hawk